Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-12 23:07:02

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

Woodward Academy, Year 3, The

Woodward Academy, Year 3, The

David Stroud, demighost, is now a licensed magician.  Freed of the criminal management facility, he decides to continue pursuing his education, and especially his apprenticeship in potions.

A professor with animosity towards all non-humans, however, is bound and determined to force David out of the Academy.  Will David manage to survive the teacher's constant badgering?

And if that wasn't bad enough, a strange amulet turns up in the mail.  What in the world is this all about?  Will he ever figure out the secret?

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2017-03-06 19:29:57

Jamril
Inebriated

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 3, The

*deleted*

Last edited by Jamril (2017-03-06 22:19:54)

#3 2017-03-06 21:34:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And you felt the need to point this out.

In public.

I feel so warm and fuzzy now.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2017-03-06 22:19:11

Jamril
Inebriated

Yeah sry about that should have written an E-mail or PM. But .... well .... no i got nothing as excuse. lets just delete it then.

#5 2017-04-14 22:23:14

thehilz
Completely Blotto

In  August after staying with the river troll David says that he wouldn't want to be able to roll over drown; talking about the troll's bed. Does David breath during sleep? I remember it being mentioned I think in year one David said  that he breaths only out of  instinct(can't remember if that's the word that was used). And even if he did it's not like he could really drown though I would think having your lungs filled with water would be very discomforting for David.

Last edited by thehilz (2017-04-14 22:24:59)

#6 2017-04-15 23:28:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

It's an expression.  He still thinks of himself as human, and humans drown when they try to breathe underwater.

Don't take everything so literally.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2021-02-01 00:35:31

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Lol, I had forgotten about the Cleopatra bit. Came back for a re-read and ended up holding my sides. Sadly Olissa makes about as good a Cleopatra as she would a Helen of Troy.

(posted from Chapter 6: November)

#8 2021-02-01 00:52:07

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Most people forget that Cleo was a Greek (Mesopotamian and as Caucasian they come) and would not have been black.

#9 2021-02-01 07:05:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Except that both of you seem to conveniently forget that the purpose of a costume is to be recognized as the character you're going as.

Most people have never even heard that Cleopatra was Caucasian.  And most of the people who have heard it (like me), promptly forgot it as unimportant.  Therefore, if you want to go as Cleopatra for Halloween, and be recognized as Cleopatra...

You don't go as a white chick.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#10 2021-02-01 09:03:45

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Except that both of you seem to conveniently forget that the purpose of a costume is to be recognized as the character you're going as.

Most people have never even heard that Cleopatra was Caucasian.  And most of the people who have heard it (like me), promptly forgot it as unimportant.  Therefore, if you want to go as Cleopatra for Halloween, and be recognized as Cleopatra...

You don't go as a white chick.

Eric Storm

True enough, its kinda like people using Lancelot in stories based on Arthurian lore for the recognition value, since most people wouldn't understand if you removed him from the story.

#11 2021-08-26 22:24:47

bigfoot
Wasted

I'm re-reading from the start and just got to "Halloween" in Year 3. Shell and David happen upon Flo and the following bit helped me chuckle and then laugh hard at a time when I desperately needed a laugh. Therefore Eric, I humbly thank you.

"What in the world are you dressed as?"

"I'm a unibear!" she said. Her outfit covered her from head to toe in pink fur. Only her face was visible, and a few stray locks of her brown hair poked out the face hole. She had huge bear ears on her head, with mitten-paws and bulky bear feet. She looked like a huge pink teddy bear, except that in between her ears, pointing almost straight up, was a pearlescent white unicorn horn, which trailed sparkles everywhere she went. David couldn't help but smile on seeing her.

"Where's Pickles?" David asked, meaning her squirrel familiar.

On hearing his name, Pickles poked his head up from behind the apple barrel. He had on his head another unicorn horn.

"A unisquirrel?" David asked dubiously.

"You bet!" Flo answered with a grin.

Last edited by bigfoot (2021-08-26 23:39:46)

#12 2021-08-27 06:44:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad to have been able to provide some needed relief.  I do honestly write my books mainly to give people an escape from their reality for a little while, so when someone says it worked, I'm happy to hear it.

BTW, just to give credit where it's due, I did not invent the unibear.  That credit goes to Mark Kistler. He was an artist who did an education program about drawing (The Secret City, PBS, late '80s), and the unibear was one of his characters.  It was basically a generic Care Bear shape with a horn sticking straight up out the top of its head.

The unisquirrel, however, is my own squirrelly idea.  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2021-08-27 17:42:44

bigfoot
Wasted

If I'm being honest, it was the unisquirrel that made me laugh. Personally, Pickles has always been my second favorite familiar (next to Jailla). Speaking of Jailla, how do you pronounce his name? I always read it as "high-ya" - Am I close?

#14 2021-08-28 04:47:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well I'll take credit for that, then.  3dbig_smile

As to the pronunciation of Jailla's name, you are close, but not quite.  It is pronounced J-EYE-uh, (That is, normal J sound, long I sound, schwa sound.  Emphasis on the first syllable.)

I honestly cannot remember whether the name came before the joke, or the joke came before the name, but you'll recall in book 1, Jailla mentioned his father doting on him, and saying, "This is my son, Jailla..." (emphasis added).  This was poking fun at Sanjaya Malakar, the American Idol contestant.  (And by extension, Ashley Ferl, the girl who kept crying for him.)  Keeshaba was an avid AI fan, so I was subjected to this torture regularly. 

I cannot say for certain this is where Jailla's name came from: the joke may have simply been my tendency to play with words.  Then again, the name certainly may have come from the joke.  I just can't say now, some eleven years later, and without Keeshaba here to try to reconstruct things.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#15 2024-03-04 03:54:34

Bwsc
Inebriated

On pronunciation, I have had this nagging question in my head, how is Lise pronounced? I assumed it was “Liz† but I can see it being said as “Li-cee†. I could also just not have any idea what the intended way to say it is.
I know this is an extremely important detail in the story and absolutely is question everyone (maybe just me) has, so I hope you find time in your busy day enlighten me on my plight!

#16 2024-03-04 07:11:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Same as "lease".  That is, L, long-E, soft-S.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer