The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-12-02 06:43:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 5, The

I'm currently on Chapter 4 of Book 6.  And no, nothing has improved in my writing, unfortunately.  Too many stressors.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#102 2015-12-02 08:11:48

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Thank you for an exciting year and a truly bang-up ending to this, the fifth, year of your story.
Like one person said about the dealing with the clan, I could see the leaning towards the Rimhors through the evolution of your stories.
It is sad to see the discord between the Hastercants  and David, but understandable in context.  I would hope that you are able to erode the ill will enough to allow his relationship with Anne to not suffer from the stress.
I am interested in the various alignments that David takes with those females that are his friends and would like to see him in a long-term relationship (please note that I am not proposing a permanent one) with one or more of them.  I am also curious about Olissa's situation and why she is fighting it even while the storytelling seems to indicate that it is her fate and she is falling into it.
Long story, short (yea, I know - too late), I really enjoy your work and wish that I could share it better with people who can also appreciate it.
Thank you for continuing to write.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2015-12-02 08:12:52)

#103 2015-12-02 16:51:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel0101 wrote:

I am interested in the various alignments that David takes with those females that are his friends and would like to see him in a long-term relationship (please note that I am not proposing a permanent one) with one or more of them. 
I really enjoy your work and wish that I could share it better with people who can also appreciate it.

First off, thank you for the feedback, and I'm glad you are enjoying the series.  As to the two points I've highlighted above:

I would personally say that David is already in a long-term relationship with Olissa, Flo, and Sam.  Perhaps you're meaning a more clearly romantic one, which I agree he does not currently have, but it would be hard to say he doesn't have an intimate (in both senses of the word) relationship with these three ladies.

As to your second point, I'm not quite clear on what you mean.  If you want to share the story with someone, send them to the website... or download the story and let them read it.  Or is the problem that you don't want them to know you read this stuff?  hehehe

3dwink

Thanks again,
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#104 2015-12-03 03:23:32

JJ Richards
Inebriated

I hope you never tire of hearing what a wonderful job you did and how great a story teller you are, Eric. At present, you are one of my top 4 authors (really tied for 1st with them)...right up there with Modesitt, Salvatore, & Feist!

Although I had "guessed" at how a couple of things would turn out, I was still surprised about a couple others...especially the "family" related one.

I will pray to Seshat (ancient Egyptian god or writing for you to surpass your "writing bloc" and remove the stressors in your life.

Best wishes,
JJ

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#105 2015-12-03 06:14:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks for the well-wishes, but you're praying to the wrong god.  Pray to the God of Humongous Monetary Windfalls.  That will remove most of the stressors in my life, and give me more time to write.

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#106 2015-12-03 08:06:31

jdale
Inebriated

wow, that was great.  i don't really know what to say.  i do have one question and i might be over thanking it.  What was the purpose of the clan?  was it just for power?  or is there an underlying reason?

(posted from Chapter 12: May)

#107 2015-12-03 16:33:16

adultswim3
Inebriated

Another great year at Woodward. I loved the chapter, it was cool seeing such a large scale battle.

#108 2015-12-04 00:09:19

riun
Inebriated

Well depending how much my bonus is I may give you some of it Eric.

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#109 2015-12-04 02:04:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

jdale: What is the purpose of any gang?

riun: You're going to give me the sum of your bonus?  Yay!  (hehehe)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#110 2015-12-07 17:03:17

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Great year Eric!! Can't wait till the next one

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#111 2015-12-07 19:15:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.  If I don't get my ass in gear, though, you're definitely going to be waiting longer than you want to for the next book.

3dsad

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#112 2015-12-08 04:34:29

riun
Inebriated

We have faith in ya.

#113 2015-12-09 20:03:40

iskoaya
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it.  If I don't get my ass in gear, though, you're definitely going to be waiting longer than you want to for the next book.

3dsad

Eric Storm

how far ahead of the PRM are you?

Last edited by iskoaya (2015-12-09 20:03:55)

#114 2015-12-09 20:22:40

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I believe Eric indicated he is on chapter 4 of Book 6.  Book 5 just concluded for PRM, so Book 6 should start the first of January.  That would seem to indicate he has 3 months done and is working on the fourth month of next years release.  So, I'd surmise that PRM is good through March and is working on April's PRM chapter as we speak.  I'm hoping his inspiration increases while his stress decreases post holiday season.

#115 2015-12-09 23:46:22

riun
Inebriated

I think that we should reduce his stress level by giving the site the gift of more money.
3dbig_smile

#116 2015-12-10 04:04:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I like the way Riun thinks.

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#117 2015-12-11 01:49:12

adultswim3
Inebriated

Unfortunately the coffer is currently empty from all the holidays. I'm hoping for a nice bonus check we will see.

#118 2015-12-15 03:26:48

JJ Richards
Inebriated

I was reading back through older forums and came across the information about Calibre....Wanted to thank all who shared info about it. Especially, Eric, the part about downloading the HTML. I used 1 of your pics of David and created a basic "book cover". No I have all the books on my iPad so that I can reread them at my leisure. Only been through them 3 times, but keep discovering things I missed or maybe forgot. 3dsmile

Thanks gain for sharing ideas folks!

JJ

#119 2015-12-18 02:19:31

Rescue25
Wasted

Such a change  waiting on the next chapter.

B

(posted from Calendar of Events - PRM)

#120 2015-12-21 05:47:05

jdale
Inebriated

yea waiting sucks but Eric makes it worth it because it is always worth it.

#121 2015-12-31 22:42:17

riun
Inebriated

Stay home and wait for chapter 1 of book 6 or go to a new years party. Decisions, decisions.
3dsad
Posting this here since book 6's forum page has yet to be created.

#122 2016-01-01 00:00:00

NobfromOz
Inebriated

Happy New Year to Eric, and to all of the customers in the WolfPub.

NobfromOz

#123 2016-01-01 08:23:52

Ecarus
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Okay, it's not a perfect solution, but here is the easiest way to do what you're doing:  (I think I got the steps right.  I haven't done it in a while...)

1. Download the HTML version of a story from this site.
2. Load the nav.html file into Calibre, instead of the chapters themselves.
3. Calibre loads files that are linked to in the initial file, so it will load everything.

This gives you an unfortunately ugly list of chapters at the beginning, but it does give you the entire book.  I am not, however, certain how it would handle the separator graphics.

All of this will become a moot point when I finally get version 2.0 of the site done, as I will be focusing on creating hand-done ebooks of all the completed stories on the site (not just mine), for members to download.

Eric Storm

fathertyme wrote:

My Method:

Open Calibre
  Add Books -> Empty Book (Book with no formats)
  Right click on new book (Edit book)

This brings up the book editor, and then I simply drag and drop chapters,

do a couple quick edits (verify order of files, change wolfpub.org references to be internal file based, import the graphics, and scare up a table of contents)

save it and it's done

Wow, I thought I knew how to use calibre pretty well before but after your comments damn, now the epubs Im make are looking great.

#124 2016-01-15 14:31:01

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I have a continuity question:  While rereading year 5, I think it was in chapter 10, for Olissa's birthday he is taking her on a carriage ride up to Bolmont but then a couple paragraphs later they are getting out of the carriage in Gorumshead outside the dance theater.  Should they be getting out of the carriage in Bolmont instead?

If it's not a problem, my copy is out of date, or I'm just in error then please feel free to let me know.

Looking forward to upping my PRM next month so I can keep up with The Woodard Academy and maybe start a couple other story lines.

#125 2016-01-15 16:49:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, going to make fun of you a little bit here, to illustrate a point about trying to point out errors to authors.  Lots of people do it, I'm just using you as an illustration, so don't get all offended.

You THINK it's in Chapter 10?  You felt it important enough to mention, but not important enough to make a note of where the actual problem occurred?  WAY5 is over 175,000 words long.  What if the error ISN'T in Chapter 10?  Even if it's only one chapter off, I have to search through 43,000 words to find it...  A little precision would be in order!

Okay, done making fun of you.  Seriously, when you're going to point out an error to an author, especially in public, at least do them the courtesy of pointing directly to it.  In this case, you were, in fact, wrong.  The birthday scene happens in April, which is Chapter 11, not 10.  I was able to find it quickly this time because I remembered what month her birthday was, but my point is that it isn't always this clear cut; sometimes a description of an error is horribly vague.  A good description of the location of this particular error would have been "In Chapter 11, right near the beginning, during the birthday scene with Olissa..."  Also good (almost the best thing) would be to quote the error passage directly.  This allows an author to do a search on the file, and go right to the error.  I realize this may seem picky, but do you want your authors to spend their time searching for that error you told them about, or writing new material?

And in this case, it's not so much a continuity error as a typo.  I never intended the theater to be in Gorumshead, but my hands sometimes don't listen to my head.  Or my head doesn't listen to itself, or something like that.

I've fixed it in my copy.  I'll get a new version uploaded at some point (since it's not a major goof).

Thanks for letting me know,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer