The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-02-10 03:59:46

JJ Richards
Inebriated

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 6, The

This would have to be a leap year making us wait an extra day for the next chapter in the saga! DAMN!!!!

Great job showing us more how David's thought process help him reach quality conclusions! As always, thanks for writing such a great story, keep up the good work and all the well wishes for you and yours!

JJ

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#27 2016-02-12 23:28:57

Drowsy
Inebriated

What is the average lifespan of someone in dugerra? In the 1st book is Sam just hiding her age or extended it?

#28 2016-02-12 23:54:19

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

You found it surprising that she doesn't really like her job?  Why?

Eric Storm

I don't know, we really haven't seen much of her since she is a peripheral character, but I never got the impression that she didn't like her job.....that's kind of why I why I said it wasn't really surprising, but sort of. It's kind of hard to explain (for me) how I meant it, I guess the best way is to say it wasn't a surprise, but now what I thought about her character.

#29 2016-02-13 04:33:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Wizards live good long times.  Lives in the 140-150 year range are not uncommon.

In book 1, however, Sam is merely hiding her age.  She isn't yet old enough to worry about extending her life from a "normal" human's.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#30 2016-02-29 18:27:52

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

Happy leap day! Was re-reading the story in preparation for the next month, and I ran across something interesting...

When David was doing his conjurning test he was placed as level 4 because there was no level 5 person at his test. In July when David and Joe are searching for the missing scroll, they say; "Breaking them is not a trivial exercise, I assure you. The spell was crafted many years ago by a level one Master Spellcaster working for the king.". Why would the potions guild and conjurning use 1 as the low rank, but spellcasting use 1 as the highest rank?

#31 2016-02-29 20:14:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... You're asking why different associations and organizations have different organizational or administrative structures????

That's like asking why a captain in the US Navy is an O-6, while a captain in the US Army is an O-3.  Different groups decide on their own terminology.

HOWEVER, I would like to point out that the Potions guild does not use 1 as the lowest rank.  David is a 2nd-level potions master, attempting to achieve his 1st-level mastery.  So far, we have discovered that "level 1" occupies the following positions within guilds:

Potions: highest
Conjuring: lowest
Peg Riding: highest
Proraziveur: lowest
Spellcasting: highest
Animal Care: highest
Healing: highest

As you can see, "level 1" is actually usually the highest.

Given that proraziveur certification is a license, it makes perfect sense that it would start at 1 and go up as you gain more authority.  While I have not, within the story, established why Conjuring does this, I can think of two viable reasons that it would:

1. Because they are not entirely sure of the limitations of Conjuring (or weren't when the guild was formed), and, not having an upper limit to apply, they started with the lowest skills and worked their way up.

-or-

2. Conjuring perhaps started out not as a guild, but as a licensed activity, and that would give it the same structure as the proraziveur license: the more authority you have, the higher your number is.

And, just so you know, this was not accidental.  I very intentionally used different terminology within the different guilds.  David is a "Potions Master Second Class".  Eleanor Abernathy is an Animal Care Giver Level One.  This is to show that the guilds are independent: they aren't government agencies, so they are not unified in their administration.  (NOT that government agencies seem to be in the least unified in their administration, at least here in the US...)  Though a guild must receive government approval to form, the government does not oversee the guild's operation.

I hope this answers your question.  If not, please rephrase your question in the form of an answer. 
3dtongue

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#32 2016-03-01 00:23:43

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

Question answered! I guess I only had those 2 on my mind because they are the most recent.

#33 2016-03-01 03:28:38

riun
Inebriated

Silly leap year. If not for you I would have read Eric's next chapter today and not tomorrow morning.

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#34 2016-03-01 05:21:24

advancewar
Wasted

omg omg omg omg next chapter is almost here. DAMN U FEBUARY AND HAVING AN EXTRA DAY THIS YEAR!!!!!! "shakes fist at sky in indignation"

life=books

#35 2016-03-01 07:00:05

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Nicely done Eric. This chapter has answered a lot of questions I've had stewing in my brain. I also like the way things are going for David at the moment, even though I just waiting for the next thing to pop up on him. Keep up the great work, and I'll keep up the reading. 3dsmile

(posted from Chapter 3: August)

#36 2016-03-01 10:40:23

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I have to say I was super amused by the visit to Night Court.  It made me nostalgic.  The only thing that kind of puzzled me was why David didn't think to contact Professor J the plant fairy with regards to what was going on with Flo.  Growing vines seemed like a pretty plant-related kind of thing to me.  (Also, you'd think you'd be alarmed, not pleased, if you woke up with a vine coming out of your wrist with no way to take it off, but maybe they have random bracelets that do that in Magic World.)

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#37 2016-03-01 11:58:07

NobfromOz
Inebriated

Another Fantastic Chapter, as always. Thanks Eric.

#38 2016-03-01 16:28:11

Archangel1962
Wasted

Well shit I can't say I didn't see it coming, but it still sucks for David. Hopefully neither one of them will become a regular occurrence. Anyway like always I enjoyed the chapter and can't wait for next month. Keep up the hard work.

BALLAD of The US Navy SEAL Teams
Im a lover, a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. Last of the bare-knuckle fighters.
No muff too tough, I dive for five, tuck, suck, fuck, nibble and chew.I dine and interwine, masturbate, ejaculate and copulate.Been around the world twice, and talked to everyone once. Seen two white whales fuck, and been to two pigmy picnics.Met a man from Nantucket with a marble head and wooden cock, and ladies, if you dont like my face you can sit on it.

#39 2016-03-01 17:32:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, David would have been hesitant to contact Miss J in the first place, due to the nature of their relationship at the time.  But mainly, it's because the author didn't think of it.  SOOOoooo, we'll say he contacted "a fairy", but that they didn't know what was happening, either, only that there was a curse involved.  Yeah, that's the ticket.
3dbig_smile

Archangel, you say hopefully "neither of them" will become a regular occurrence.  What are you referring to?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#40 2016-03-02 02:34:37

riun
Inebriated

Well it is a prm chapter. ( wink wink ) 3dwink
But really this is one of the longest chapters I can remember reading in sometime. Your muse must be feeding you energy drinks. Good job with this chapter and its nice to see that Bridget is getting out and about. That poor girl has been stuck on the homepage for years.

Last edited by riun (2016-03-02 02:35:00)

#41 2016-03-03 06:58:21

turshen
Inebriated

Nice! David as a healer wizard is kind of impressive.

#42 2016-03-04 02:15:40

Rescue25
Wasted

Getting interesting.  At least no major cliffhangers now.

B

#43 2016-03-05 11:15:46

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Man David has worse luck with relationships than I do lol. Enjoyed the chapter immensely.

#44 2016-03-05 17:28:34

riun
Inebriated

After rereading the story a second time to catch things I may have missed I noticed there was no reunion scene between Gwen and David. I thought this some what odd since David is always saying that he keeps losing friends. It would seam at the very least that he would have sought her out.

#45 2016-03-05 18:49:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why do readers always assume that, because I didn't write something down, it didn't happen at all?

What would you have found interesting about David and Gwen "reuniting"?  I put this term in quotes because both David and Gwen live in Bolmont.  Chances are, they saw each other at least a couple times over the summer.  (And no, I didn't write about that, either.  Why would I, unless it had some impact on the story?)  I certainly already made it clear that Gwen could visit whenever she liked, because David had her and Jess over for dinner right after he moved into the house in Book 5.  Therefore, the only reason she would NOT visit was because she was too busy.

But, even if they hadn't seen each other since Ellie's graduation ceremony, what, exactly, would I have written about them seeing each other that would have been remotely interesting?  There'd have been hugging, and the usual, "What did you do over the summer?" questions, and a bunch of general chit-chat, as there usually is when two old friends who haven't seen each other in a short while get back together.  *Yawn*.

I can't write about everything that David does.  The series will exceed a million words by the end of book 6 as it is.  I have to prioritize what is important, and what is... well, frankly, irrelevant.  Do I tell you that he still has sex with Prof. Stott?  Or that he sees Olissa on a daily basis?  Or how about that he spends four to six hours a day just studying?  No, I don't relate these things because they don't add anything to the story itself.

As to David's lament that he has lost all his friends:  He is now head of the security department.  He has a whole new set of colleagues to fill in that slot, not to mention the entire Bolmont Division of the Rimohrs.  These may not yet be true friends, but he can hardly feel like he's alone.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#46 2016-03-06 14:58:43

sajoir7
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

Wizards live good long times.  Lives in the 140-150 year range are not uncommon.

In book 1, however, Sam is merely hiding her age.  She isn't yet old enough to worry about extending her life from a "normal" human's.

Eric Storm

If you don't get this reference that is fine, but is this similar to Tsunade from Naruto? She looks young but is still her natural age?

#47 2016-03-06 17:42:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I've never watched Naruto.

Sam is not excessively old.  Although I have not, in fact, picked an age for her, you can figure her to be late 40's to her 50's.  However, we know that she appears much younger.  This is a combination of the natural tendency of wizards to live longer, mixed with the use of "youth magic" to keep up her appearance.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#48 2016-03-06 23:58:01

riun
Inebriated

I didn't mean to upset you. But the true reason I was asking is if she cut ties with David after her moms tirade. An since it hadn't been mentioned that she had gone and seen him at his house or talked with him at school I was concerned. Again sorry for making you upset with my assumption.

Last edited by riun (2016-03-06 23:59:26)

#49 2016-03-07 07:00:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Gwen spoke to David at Ellie's graduation ceremony.  She hugged him at the ceremony, and she asked if he was coming back the following year.  If she was going to be upset about the family rift, it would have happened at that point, not later.

And it's not that you made me "upset".  I just find it very confusing some of the things people think I should include in stories.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#50 2016-03-07 18:49:39

riun
Inebriated

Oh I did forget about that silly me.  I must have forgotten to reread that last chapter in book five. Sorry

Last edited by riun (2016-03-07 18:50:34)

Board footer