The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-02-02 19:05:00

KaosKing
Inebriated

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Is David secretly the answer to the universal question? Reference to his dorm room number.

(posted from Chapter 2: July)

#52 2017-02-02 22:58:50

Crusader
Wasted

anyone what to share any list (if any) people have been making in their heads on who the girlfriend might be in David's love triangle.

1) A teacher of Potions, only really a possibility for about 2 or 3 paragraphs, before he was seriously looking for a sig. other.
2) A dean of a very important school to the story
3) that vampire who doesn't like living at home; this was a possibility for me before she gave off the 'immortals should not marry' vibe.
4) A child from the family of secrets
5) A teacher that changes things on the regular, and teaches others to do the same.
6) A Rimohr who isn't interested in progressing in her job to newer and higher levels of power
7) A non princess-princess.
N) Someone we don't know yet.

Last edited by Crusader (2017-02-02 22:59:41)

#53 2017-02-03 01:17:38

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Crusader,

You can eliminate a lot of your suspects. Olissa saw the future Mrs. Stroud in her vision. She did not recognize the girl/woman. So anyone Olissa has met can be immediately eliminated as a possible future Mrs. Stroud. This eliminates almost anyone and everyone who is a teacher, administrator or student, at Woodward Academy. It also eliminates Vivian the Rimohr. The non-princess princess would still be in the running. We'll find out whether she's the one or not when school starts and David introduces the not-a-princess to Olissa.

My guess, it's someone we have not yet met.

#54 2017-02-03 02:21:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm doing this mainly to cause anxiety and confusion among you prognosticators:

It does not dismiss Vivian, because Olissa said she did not recognize the woman at the time she had the vision, not that she didn't recognize her at the time of the conversation.  She wouldn't be more specific than that (and neither will I... mwahahaha)

It does, however, rule out a fair number of folk, pretty much everyone at the school or in Gorumshead.  (But probably not EVERYONE in those places...)

Scratching your heads even harder now?  I love spreading confusion.

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#55 2017-02-03 02:32:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Even more fun thoughts to mess with your head:

Just because Olissa did not recognize the woman in the vision, does not necessarily mean that they have never before met: it only means that she could not recall ever having seen the woman.

Let the speculation commence as to whether this comment means anything at all....

misch_smiley

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#56 2017-02-03 03:33:05

riun
Inebriated

I feel that David has the room number 42 because he is the answer for life and everything. Since he is a immortal and he's been to the other side. Having been to the other side he knows at leat one of answers of life maybe the biggest of all time. Whats after death? Not second hand like most wizards. The real quest we should be asking is "Does he keep towels in his Conjuring room?"

Now with the important question out of the way. I will ask a silly question would Olivia tell David when she meets the lady of David's dreams from her vision? An truly since he is a immortal maybe Eric is messing with you all and David may not meet her until after the series is over with. ( Evil laughter ) I've now planted the seed in his muses mind and may never leave. ( More evil laughter as he clicks submit )

3dbig_smile

Last edited by riun (2017-02-03 03:37:33)

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#57 2017-02-03 05:18:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Trust me, I know exactly who the woman is.  I'm not likely to change that plan.

Of course, you may still be right about him not meeting her until after book 8 is finished...

3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#58 2017-02-03 17:06:39

Crusader
Wasted

Jefferson,

I guess I didn't say. the list as I posted isn't the 'current' list. that would only include 6, 7, & N. unless I forgot someone when I cobbled it together.
I was trying to get a list of anyone I ever thought for even a moment he might end up with; as I've seen a couple get married right out of high school and they are still together almost 13 years later; hell in that case I don't believe either dated anyone else ever, I try not to rule many out.

Eric Storm wrote:

...after book 8 is finished...

[jest]Epilogue chapter confirmed![/jest]
3dtongue

Last edited by Crusader (2017-02-03 17:13:15)

#59 2017-02-03 18:23:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... an epilogue is part of the book, therefore "after the book is finished" would mean "after the epilogue"...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#60 2017-02-03 20:11:32

Crusader
Wasted

epilogue, part 2?

kinda like post post script? or post post post script?

Last edited by Crusader (2017-02-03 20:12:05)

#61 2017-02-03 20:51:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That, too, would still be *part of the book*.

Not to mention that I don't believe in multi-part epilogues.  If the epilogue is that long, it needs to be another chapter.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#62 2017-02-03 21:33:30

Crusader
Wasted

3dtongue

anyhow,
8) A current drug fiend.

and not sure how i feel about a possible #9
9) A baby we have seen come into the world.

Last edited by Crusader (2017-02-03 23:47:51)

#63 2017-02-06 16:38:16

Pudding5
Inebriated

Crusader wrote:

and not sure how i feel about a possible #9
9) A baby we have seen come into the world.

Knowing David, definitely not.

#64 2017-02-10 10:38:59

neolyn
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Trust me, I know exactly who the woman is.  I'm not likely to change that plan.

Of course, you may still be right about him not meeting her until after book 8 is finished...

3dangel

Eric Storm

Half-life , I mean book 9 confirmed ?  3dbig_smile

The real question here is :

"It does not dismiss Vivian, because Olissa said she did not recognize the woman at the time she had the vision, not that she didn't recognize her at the time of the conversation."

Is it really important or you are just toying with us? It implies heavyly that now Olissa she recognizes the woman, so at some point they met.

Now, it doesn't mean David met her , after all the story is around him and not Olissa. She could have met her during class or other activities David has no part in.
Woodward has thousands students , David can't be everywhere everytime and know everyone , so we can't really rule out his future wife to be a studentor even teacher or staff member( too bad,I liked Tanya a lot, not my favorite but she was cute ^^ ).

So can we asume that from the first book to now this lady has appeared in the life of at least one of David's acquaintance ? Meaning that she's already in the story and you just didn't introduce her yet and not that she isn't part of it yet ?

Now stupid question about the lore : D :

Demighost can be of every race ? We just kow of jacob, david and the dude during who tested his np .
Will David ever have a thing in Emile( yeah honestly i think not)?
What about our favorite centaur ? Is it about time she gets back from the army ?

What is it with David and the(god i Hope i got it right) Hartescant(? sorry very bad with names specialy when they are foreign) women ? Gwen, Denise, Ellie, Anne, just one more and he would have slept with every lady of the family.
I know the last one is in a relationship  but can we expect David to sleep with her too ?

What about Devin ?Still alive  with her eyes above her head ?

#65 2017-02-10 10:57:44

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

neolyn wrote:

The real question here is :

"It does not dismiss Vivian, because Olissa said she did not recognize the woman at the time she had the vision, not that she didn't recognize her at the time of the conversation."

Is it really important or you are just toying with us? It implies heavyly that now Olissa she recognizes the woman, so at some point they met.

Now, it doesn't mean David met her , after all the story is around him and not Olissa. She could have met her during class or other activities David has no part in.
Woodward has thousands students , David can't be everywhere everytime and know everyone , so we can't really rule out his future wife to be a studentor even teacher or staff member( too bad,I liked Tanya a lot, not my favorite but she was cute ^^ ).

So can we asume that from the first book to now this lady has appeared in the life of at least one of David's acquaintance ? Meaning that she's already in the story and you just didn't introduce her yet and not that she isn't part of it yet ?

No you can't make that assumption.  He just pointed out that the language used was intentionally vague and that the conclusion drawn was based on incorrect assumptions.  Eric isn't going to answer your question either because if he was, he would not have used the language he did in the response.  He would have said something closer to:  While your reasoning is incorrect (i said "It does not dismiss Vivian because..."), you are correct that he has met her.  Eric is VERY careful with the words he chooses.

Also, just so you know, the first question about lore is actually lore, but the rest of them are story inquiries and Eric is unlikely to answer them, especially if hee has even vague thoughts about possibly bringing that character or plot point into the story.

#66 2017-02-10 18:18:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Fenixreign is quite correct on the first issue:  What I said was simply to point out that you were all incorrectly removing an entire group of people from consideration.  In other words, I was intentionally broadening the possible options.  What I said had no intention of, and did not, limit it to anyone at all.

And no, there is no confirmation at all of book 9's existence.  IF it does exist, it will be a short-story anthology.  I have stated this before.

Demighosts can be of any race, but humans are the most populous and most adventurous race, leading them to get into the kind of situations where they end up getting "demighosted".

David considers Emile to be off-limits as a matter of propriety: he's a student, she's the dean of students.  I'm aware that this does not technically answer your question.  That is entirely intentional.

You think the centaur army is going to release Giendia... with a war coming.  Why would they do that?  Further, if we figure on a four- or five-year enlistment, she's nowhere near the end of her term in the military.  At the beginning of book 7, she'll have been in for just 2 1/2 years. (The years represented by chapters 4-8 through 5-7, 5-8 through 6-7, and then the half year of 6-7 to 7-1.)

You managed to royally murder the name "Hasterscant", and you've managed to royally confuse me.  There are five Hasterscant children: John, Nick, Gwen, Anne, and Ellie.  Their parents are Denise and Roy.  There are FOUR females in that list:  Denise, Gwen, Anne, and Ellie.  David has ALREADY slept with all of them.  Who the hell were you referring to?

As to Devyn: who gives a crap?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#67 2017-02-10 19:41:48

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Okay, since I had a hand in starting all of this, Olissa said she didn't recognize the woman at the time she had the vision. Fine.

That language says that it's possible that Olissa has met the future Mrs. Stroud since her vision. It's just a maybe, but it's possible.

But considering Olissa's love and submissiveness towards David, if she had met the future Mrs. Stroud, does anyone actually see her keeping that information from David? Has she had another vision where she saw something horrible happen should she tell David who the future Mrs. Stroud is? Why would she keep this information from David? I just can't see a good reason. Now, no, I don't think Olissa would walk up to the woman, shake her hand and say "Hello, you're going to marry my master. David, this is your future wife." But I think Olissa would have a VERY, VERY difficult time keeping that news to herself for any length of time once the woman was out of earshot.

I'm 99% certain, if Olissa recognized the future Mrs. Stroud, past, present or future, she would tell David as soon as possible.

#68 2017-02-10 23:28:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

99% certain, huh?

Hate to tell you that you are 100% wrong...

David having this knowledge is dangerous to David and his relationship.  If you had known, I mean really KNOWN, when you met her, that your wife was going to be your wife, would you have acted the same way toward her?

No, you would not.  And that very well might cause her to NOT BE your wife now, because you would have seemed all creepy.

I have trouble believing that you, a science fiction writer, cannot see the inherent danger of knowledge of one's own future.  If Olissa wanted David to know who this woman was, she could have described her, or used the illusion-bust spell to show him an image of her, so that he would recognize her on sight, without Olissa having to say anything at all.

Keep in mind that Olissa's subservience to David is in order to serve a higher cause.  Doing what you suggest would possibly harm that cause, thus, she would not do it.

Eric Storm

PS:  This is not in any way to say that she has, or has not, yet met the future primary partner.

----
Facebook page

#69 2017-02-11 02:23:02

JJ Richards
Inebriated

riun wrote:

The real quest we should be asking is "Does he keep towels in his Conjuring room?"

Why would he need towels??? He can cast a spell to dry himself much faster.

BTW, Eric, I also enjoyed the chapter and look forward with much anticipation of David's continued saga 3dsmile

JJ

#70 2017-02-11 05:39:46

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Eric Wrote: If you had known, I mean really KNOWN, when you met her, that your wife was going to be your wife, would you have acted the same way toward her?

I did know. 3dsmile Thankfully, she knew it too. 3dsmile

Eric Wrote: No, you would not.  And that very well might cause her to NOT BE your wife now, because you would have seemed all creepy.

I don't think I could have been any creepier. I did my best creepy that day. 3dsmile

Okay. Seriously, I see your point. I had not thought of it that way. It would be torturous for Olissa though. Watching David ignore his future wife this week, watch him fight with her next week, watch him flirt with some other woman the next week, knowing all the time that this is the woman he's going to spend his life with. Can you imagine her being there at their first meeting (assuming he hadn't already met her when Olissa had her vision) and knowing that David was meeting the love of his life and being unable to say anything? Torturous!

#71 2017-02-11 06:25:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...I think you have a complete miscomprehension of David's future lifestyle.  You actually expect David will be ONLY bigamous?  David is absolutely destined for polygamy.  Hell, he already has what he would consider permanent relationships with Sam, Penny, Olissa, and Giendia.  Whoever the "new girl" is (assuming it's not one of the other three I just mentioned), they're going to have to accept that concept.

And I'm gonna assume Olissa's smart enough to realize that no two people, no matter how much they love each other, have smooth sailing 24/7.  Hell, all she has to do is look at her own history with David.  I doubt she'd worry too much over it.  She would understand that her silence is all that's required for things to work out.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#72 2017-02-11 14:23:43

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Not only that, Eric, but I get the impression that Olissa might even ENJOY watching that shit.  Think about it.  Her personality, at least to me, indicates that she does truly love David with everything she is, but her relationship with him prior to the visions had a lot more friendly banter.  Now she could watch from the "sidelines" while David and Mrs. Stroud go at each other's throats whie she just chuckles to herself thinking "You know, you guys are going to be fucking and loving each other eventually."

#73 2017-02-11 19:21:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...When have you actually seen Olissa take enjoyment in other people's suffering?

Also keep in mind that, after her visions, things were changing for David, as well, as he became aware of what was coming, so the banter between them would naturally change as both of them "grew up" a little.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#74 2017-02-14 01:23:26

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

It wouldn't be the suffering she would enjoy, but the irony of watching 2 people arguing and knowing that they were destined to be together.

#75 2017-02-17 17:30:37

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

...Whoever the "new girl" is (assuming it's not one of the other three I just mentioned), they're going to have to accept that concept...

Interesting; I'd have to go back and reread the week where Olissa and David were together as couple, and I don't think it came up anyhow, but David has always shown an attempt to be monogamist. Truthfully I was expecting him to attempt a closed poly when the time came, with Olissa and the "new girl".

and back to general discussion: I think we can safely put an upper limit on the time scale of when the "new girl" will be showing up of before Olissa's ghost ceases to be, so we've narrowed it down from infinity of time to a very long time... that will help so much.

Board footer