The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#76 2017-02-17 20:16:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

David was attempting to be monogamistic before he began his master/slave relationship with Olissa.  This relationship makes that concept utterly impossible, and David would by necessity alter his thinking about relationships.

However, the system could still be looked at as "closed", in that it is unlikely that David would go looking for new partners once "Female Prime" comes into his life... it's just that, instead of "forsaking all others", he would continue to "associate" with those women he has already made attachments to.

And yeah... no idea how long Olissa will remain with David even after death... as he's a demighost himself, her death isn't actually much of a "loss" to him, only to her (as she has lost her solid body and the ability to interact with a lot of things.)  She would, I imagine (and since it's my imagination that counts, this is basically God's Word On The Matter... 3dbig_smile ), stay with David until she decided to discorporate... and that could take millennia.

On the other hand, she might discorporate (relatively) quickly, with the idea of helping David to move forward with his life, rather than holding on to his past.  David will need to get used to losing people, and losing them permanently, because it will happen to him an endless number of times.  I haven't actually thought this through, but an idea that comes to my mind is that perhaps Olissa would stick around just long enough to find her replacement.

Eric Storm

PS:  When I say that Female Prime "comes into his life", I mean that she assumes her role as Female Prime.  I'm not trying to insinuate anything about whether or not he has already met this woman.

(No, I'm not giving you guys an inch on this one... 3dbig_smile )

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#77 2017-02-18 02:05:26

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I know one who is OUT of the running - the werephin.

#78 2017-02-18 03:35:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, you want to go there, then you can also rule out Amanda, Sam, Lise, every Hasterscant female, Dean Lengel, Madame Abernathy...

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#79 2017-02-18 13:50:50

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Some of those would have been removed for other reasons, but, yeah.
The point is that you will introduce her at the appropriate point if she is going to figure into the story as you see it I am happy with what you have presented so far and see no reason to question you about hidden, foreshadowed, or implied information.

#80 2017-02-18 14:34:30

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

I would hope that she figures prominently in the upcoming conflict and how David reacts to it, as either a straight-up partner from the start or as someone that he rescues and then becomes a partner-in-crime as it were.  Flo and Anne both seem to have the right level of acceptance and tolerance in their personalities (at least in regards to David) of the people that he is currently still linked to and aren't Sam, and both would acknowledge how important Olissa has been to David since the beginning so would likely make an exception for her regardless.

#81 2017-02-18 18:50:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Flo and Anne have both already been ruled out, because Olissa would have recognized either of them at the time of her vision.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#82 2017-02-19 05:11:23

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Shenanigans!

#83 2017-02-19 18:34:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

??

----
Facebook page

#84 2017-02-20 11:45:00

Sniper
Inebriated

Damn, I should visit the forums more often...very interesting discussion.

That whole thing reminds me a lot of HIMYM. But who is going to be David's Tracy? I have to agree with Eric, that Olissa will most likely not tell David anything more. But I would expect her to unconsciously support and promote his relationship with "female prime". Here comes my wild ass guess: You are looking for a female, most likely a current/former student of Woodward, David's age +-4 years, which has already been introduced to the readers, but not in a very prominent role, most likely without intimacy until this point, actual closeness to David will develop in book 8 during the conflict with the weres...and I have a feeling, that it will be a non-human. And most likely I am completely wrong and he simply takes over all of Dugerra and makes it his personal harem.

The attacks on his friends are a little bit confusing. Those seem to be more like testing his abilities than actually killing someone. They are mostly much too creative to be simple attacks. Everyone of them could have simply been killed, if that was the goal. A parasite that turns Flo into a tree, floating Lydia with a bubble into space, hiring a werewolf to attack Gwen, Sam oozing blood, throwing Ellen into a mental loop. Lydia and especially Gwen are, compared to the others, a little bit unsophisticated. I would expect there to be some ulterior motive that isn't going to be revealed for some time.

#85 2017-02-20 22:31:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay... a student, introduced to the readers already, within 4 years of David's age, who is non-human.

Let's break this down:

Non-human students already introduced to the readers, who are female:  Shell, Devyn

I think we can all safely say it is NOT going to be Devyn... so you're saying it must be Shell?  Oh, but wait, you also said "most likely without intimacy until this point"... which rules out Shell, too...

You've ruled out everyone.

That's it!  I've been screwing with all of you!  There is no female prime!  David just goes around screwing whoever he likes!!!!

... or not...

3dbig_smile

misch_smiley

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#86 2017-02-21 10:59:28

Sniper
Inebriated

You forgot about Lydia, which I also ruled out. Maybe I need to reread all books once again, but I still have another female in mind.

Already introduced might include any kind of interaction, no matter how small or short lived, as long as that person appeared in any of the books. In the overall secrecy regarding some non-human races, we cannot even be sure that every suspected human is truely human. OK, maybe a bit farfetched...but this is a world of magic with endless possibilities.

#87 2017-02-21 18:50:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'd be interested to know who you're thinking of...

Though I wouldn't tell you whether or not you were right, obviously.

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#88 2017-02-22 21:44:00

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I think the discussion of a Primary Relationship is kind of a moot point.  If it were to happen, I think it would probably happen well after the end of Woodward Academy.  Eric has hinted that there might not be much, if anything after book 8.  Although I would hope for more, I can understand the need for a change in artistic pursuits.  But the were-war could take years and I can see David leaving the Rhimors for the Military and rising through the ranks to eventually becoming a General in the Kings army.  A good possibility for future books, maybe David comes back as the new lord of Castle Woodward.

Of course, the interesting relationship for David in year 7 and probably 8 is going to be the princess (lady whatever her name was)...  After all, she's pretty much announced that David was a new challenge for her and she seemed motivated to conquer David's resistance, so to speak.  I think it's going to be an interesting turn of events anyway.

#89 2017-03-02 01:52:34

runesfuer
Inebriated

My personal opinion, newly formed after reading ideas based on the others mentioned recently, about the attacks: The ones on Gwen and Lydia were not meant to test his skills to the same degree, if at all, they were more to distract him. The ones on Flo, Sam and Ellen are much more elaborate.

Then again, they could all have been done with the same goal in mind: Incapacitate as many of his friends and allies as possible, and reduce the time he has to prepare. They might not have been expecting hi. To be so resourcefully and, skilled, in his areas of expertise.

IMPERATOR PRIMUM, DEINDE IMPERIO! VIVIMUS POENAS ETIAM SIC ESSE TUUS! [First for the Emperor, then for the Imperium. Our Lives are Forfeit, so should Yours be as well!]

#90 2017-03-02 04:08:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I apologize that chapter 3 will not be out today.  From the looks of things right now, probably 2 or 3 more days, maximum.

Sorry.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#91 2017-03-02 04:37:13

Englishpeanut
Tipsy

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say that you're all wrong about Female Prime.

It's clearly David's Mother. Think about it, it makes sense 3dwink

Thanks for the update Eric, I can now give my refresh button a break. Been pounding it like David would Sam

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#92 2017-03-03 21:33:59

Jamril
Inebriated

Crusader wrote:

and back to general discussion: I think we can safely put an upper limit on the time scale of when the "new girl" will be showing up of before Olissa's ghost ceases to be, so we've narrowed it down from infinity of time to a very long time... that will help so much.

Sry to destroy your theory but David has a potionsbook with a potion that expands your lifespan to 400 years it was, i think. So it would be no trouble for him to give her this potion. And also he is quite close to a vampire. So Olissa (as vampire) could spend all of eternity at Davids side. Therefore the vision she had seen could be Davids wife in 3 years, 50 years or even 1000 years.

But i am quite certain that she will be around in this school year, if she isn´t already. I bet my money on Jenny or Christa. I doubt that it will be Sam or Emile, because as sad as it will be but i think someone close to David has to die in the upcoming battle. And it will be one or even both of them.

Last edited by Jamril (2017-03-03 23:29:00)

#93 2017-03-03 22:44:58

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I think Sam or Emile dying would push David over the edge and way into the 'Dark Side' of his nature.  I'm not even sure Olissa could bring back from that before he'd gone full Emperor Palpatine.

Right now, my main question about story plot is:  Why isn't David preparing Castle Woodward for the impending siege/Battle?  He obviously has the resources, so why isn't he stocking the castle with food?  Why isn't he buying a few thousand rifles, sniper rifles, and maybe a few other things, plus the ammo to go with them?  A few miniguns in strategic area's would sure hurt... especially since we've already seen that it's hard for magic to stop bullets.  If he wants them, he should start the paperwork he's going to have to do to buy them through the U.S. Government.  He's found a few hidden rooms below the castle that could easily be used for storage of such things... Ok, for the food he might need to get some really big food cabinets or maybe enchant some rooms to act as food cabinets if that wasn't done long ago by Lord Woodward.  Hell, why isn't he actually finding out all of Mount Woodward's secret places and special defenses?  I'm sure Lord Woodward has a lot more tricks up his sleeve when it comes to Mount Woodward then the werefolk don't like to climb (although not sure that's true for werecats) or the lavastone steps.

By the way, whats up with the statues in the courtyard of the Castle?  David keeps stopping to stare at them, or it seems that way to me.  Is he sensing something magical about them or does he just think they are interesting or pretty?

#94 2017-03-03 23:14:54

Jamril
Inebriated

Barbarian3165 wrote:

I think Sam or Emile dying would push David over the edge and way into the 'Dark Side' of his nature.  I'm not even sure Olissa could bring back from that before he'd gone full Emperor Palpatine.

Well that´s the point. To get his revenge he would go full dark side and ultimately destroy the were army and end the seizure of Mt. Woodward.
He is starting to prepair for the battle. He has asked the king for help and got the Gargoyls. He asked the leader of the Gargoyls why there hasn´t been more of them there and, i guess, his question about how to make more implied that he thought of making more himself. Why he hasn´t put some miniguns on the grount is simple. Say you were there and has no clue about the possibilty of an upcoming war, what would you think about someone puting miniguns at the schoolyard? It would raise a lot of questions and maybe even cause panic. Also without teaching students how to use those weapons there is no use of having them at all. But i guess we will see him get more prepared for the battle during this year

Last edited by Jamril (2017-03-03 23:17:57)

#95 2017-03-03 23:47:35

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

He's preparing himself more then the castle... especially when the gargoyles admit that they can't really stop the fall of Woodward, only slow it down.  However, a few hundred students with rifles, sniper rifles, and miniguns could support the more advanced wizards.  For the really powerful elemanders at Woodward, why aren't they building more electricity generators?  I don't know how many elemandy instructors there are at Woodward, nor do I know how many teach the electricity/lightning part of elemandy, but a few dozen of those generators spread out would give the really powerful elemanders enough electricity to work with to really defend the mountain.  I suppose you could chock some of this up to behind the scenes things that are going on... but it would be nice, in my opinion, to see at least a few more things going on.  I'm willing to wait and see what Eric decides to do.  I just wanted to get that perspective out there.

David's struggled mighty hard to not go all 'Dark Side' on people... I'm not sure it's in the overall plot for David to go from overall 'Good Guy' with the occasional 'Dark Side' events to full on 'Evil Dude' for all eternity.  I just don't see any of the women in David's life dying in this story.  And from what I've read of Eric's work, I don't think it's his style to kill of major female characters.

#96 2017-03-04 04:20:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Were David to go "Dark Side" in the manner proposed, it would be more dangerous for Callamandia than the entire were army.  Sure, David would kill off the weres on Mt. Woodward.  Then he would kill off all the weres in Callamandia.

Then he would kill off all the weres in Vrudena.

Then... what?  This sort of evil doesn't just go away.  You don't walk this far into Hell and then just pop right back out again.  Having killed so many, he would be a wanted man.  He would end up killing all of the Rimohrs sent after him.  The Callamandian military sent after him...  He would be hunted, but he would be the hunter.  He is immortal: he cannot be stopped if he no longer has a conscience.  Most demighosts do bad things because they're bored.  You're talking about David doing bad things because he's deranged.  Consider what that really would look like, and you'll understand why we don't want to go there.

Eric Storm

PS:  Do not take this to mean that neither of the two people mentioned die in the war.  It only means that David doesn't go all the way to the dark side because of anything that happens in the war.

PPS:  That also doesn't mean that he doesn't... "visit" the dark side from time to time...

----
Facebook page

#97 2017-03-04 04:30:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, I had a (different) long post outlined with bullet points and such, but I decided I wanted to tackle this conversation another way, so here goes.

David is doing what David is being allowed to do to prepare for the danger he sees for Woodward Academy.  Realize, though, that no one has said that Woodward will be placed under siege; there has only been the very strong implication that it will be attacked.

The king is insisting that the possibility of war be kept fairly quiet.  That means that David cannot go around building fortifications or emplacing miniguns around the school.  (I'll get to why miniguns are an RBI in a minute...) (What's an "RBI"?  A REALLY BAD IDEA.)  David also cannot prepare the other students in any way for the upcoming attack.

But the truth is that most of that would be unnecessary.  The castle itself is always prepared for war:  It was built to do that job, and it hasn't changed in the foregoing millennium.  It is still a fortress, ready to repel enemies.  It has defenses both secret and open, and we can readily assume that during Lord Woodward's training of David in castle defense, he has imparted all of the various secrets to Castle Woodward that might be useful in such a battle.  I realize that David asked Lord Woodward to train him in "siege defense", but that doesn't mean that David saw a siege of the castle, only that he wants to be prepared, just in case.

Okay, so, it has been suggested that David might arm the school with a vast array of firearms and other nasty weaponry for which the werewolves don't have good defenses.  This could be done secretly, after all, without anyone but perhaps the staff being the wiser.  There are a number of problems with this concept, the first of which being that David, having become about as fully a Dugerran as possible without being born there, just doesn't think that way anymore.  "Gun" is not his answer to a problem regarding violence.  "Wand" is what he thinks.  But, beyond that, even if he did consider buying rifles, a little thought would quash the idea quickly.

The first big problem is training.  David himself does not know how to properly use an automatic weapon.  He barely learned how to use the sniper rifle he bought to demonstrate to the king.  There is more to using a weapon than just pointing it and pressing the trigger.  If you want to be effective with the weapon, you need to know not only how to use the weapon itself mechanically, but you need to know how to apply the weapon, tactically, to the battlefield.  "Spray and pray" is not an effective tactic, and is more dangerous to you than to your enemy.  In order for these weapons to play a useful role in any battle for Woodward Castle, the people wielding them would have to be trained how.  The army's weapons qualification course takes 2-3 weeks.  Even if you eliminate some of the weapon maintenance information and cut that in half, you're looking at a week and a half.  That will teach you how to use an M-16.  Training to use larger machine guns, or tivaru-forbid, a minigun, will take longer.  The course to become a sniper takes a full 7 weeks.

The problem with that is that there will be no time to learn this.  David would first have to be trained himself.  Not a big problem here; he does have some time to go to Earth and learn that skill.  However, he then, at some point, has to transfer that information to a bunch of students.  A week and a half is probably highly optimistic for a bunch of people who are not soldiers, not attempting to be soldiers, probably do not have the mindset of soldiers, and some of which are going to be so terrified of the situation that the weapon in their hands is going to be a tool for the enemy, not your friends.  These are not people who have been in combat, or who have expected to go into combat, these are students in a college whose biggest concern up until this point was their score on this year's particular licensing exam.

But let's say we get our guys to at least figure out how to use these weapons.  Maybe we've got a couple days, we can at least teach them how to load the thing and fire it, right?  Did you have time to teach them how to clear it of jams?  Automatic rifles, especially, jam frequently.  If you don't know how to clear a jam, your gun just became a rather unwieldy club.  Did you give them time to learn to aim the thing?  Whoops, no, you didn't, because a day or two simply isn't enough time to develop that skill.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say we went down this path, took a few dozen students and were able to educate them how to use these rifles.  We gave them hours to practice, and they can, in fact, hit the broad side of a barn.  Will they know what to do with that gun in combat?  Automatic weapons aren't so much about hitting people with bullets: they're about suppressing enemy movement so that someone ELSE can hit them with bullets.  (or magic balls, or whatnot).  You can't just "spray and pray": your allies won't be able to safely move about if you do.  You have to know WHERE to fire, and WHEN to fire... and more importantly, when NOT to fire.

But... hey, any guy with a gun is better than a guy without one, right?  So we set our guys loose with their M-16 or their AK-47 and 5 or 6 magazines of ammo.  (Can't really carry more and be able to move around easily...)  So, our guys fire their 150-180 rounds...

Whoops.  Now what?  Okay, there are loads more magazines back at the armory... but the armory is back that way and up three flights of steps.  I'm in the middle of a magical battle with people twice my strength running about, and I no longer have a weapon.  Sure, I can pull out my wand... but if I was any good with my wand, what the hell was I doing with a gun that runs out of ammo???  No, chances are that the last thing that will happen to me is the werewolf I was just about to shoot, when I realized I was out of ammo, is going to tear my fucking head off.

A sniper rifle in the hands of someone who is not a sniper is worse than useless.  If you can't compensate for wind, for your own motion, your own breathing, your own HEARTBEAT, you aren't going to hit what you intend.  In the chaos of melee combat, you very well may hit the guy you were trying to protect.  Not cool.

A minigun is this sniper problem on steroids.  The M134 minigun fires 6,000 rounds per minute.  That is 100 rounds PER SECOND.  Because the M134 weighs 42 lbs, and because you're going to need to keep it close to its ammo, you aren't going to move this beast around.  That means that it would be sitting in a fixed emplacement, with the hopes that the enemy would come near it...

But if the ENEMY is near it, then so are the GOOD GUYS.  And you want to launch 100 bullets every second into ground with good guys in it?  By untrained gunmen?

How many wizards are you prepared to lose?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#98 2017-03-04 04:42:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And to cover the remaining points:

There are four Elemandy instructors at Woodward:  Niobi Rutherford (head of department), Nick Van Titan, Cal Scandi, and Molly B. Denim.

The statues in the castle courtyard are... statues.  I think I've mentioned David looking at them 2 or 3 times, mostly in Book 1, when he was spending a lot of time up at the castle.  They have no significance other than being the animals represented by the four "underclass" dorms.

And I cannot comment on any specific magical defenses such as electricity generators or anything else without revealing things I'm not going to reveal.  So... I'm noot gonnnna tellll youuuuuuu....

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#99 2017-03-04 06:15:59

Jennatalia
Inebriated

Why do I have a feeling the sentinel trees will be featured?

#100 2017-03-04 07:40:46

Jamril
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Were David to go "Dark Side" in the manner proposed, it would be more dangerous for Callamandia than the entire were army.  Sure, David would kill off the weres on Mt. Woodward.  Then he would kill off all the weres in Callamandia.

Who am i to argue with you because who would know better what David would do than his creator himself. But it is still possibel. You could let him snap out of his 'dark side mode' at the end of the battle as he sees the shock and fear in alpha (whats his name again) face. Or in his wrath he accidentally hurts Olissa and thats what it takes to calm him down. Or at the end of the battle as he looks over the battlefield you can let him realise what he has done and than his conscience kicks him out of his mode. Even the ghosts of Sam and Emile could do the trick. Only because he goes to the dark side, doesn´t mean that he has to go on a rampage around the world. It could be, but it doesn´t have to. It all depends on your vision of events and how good you would explain his course of action.

Board footer