Wasted

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Agreed with bigfoot. 3dsmile

#127 2017-03-08 18:36:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so I guess it's just me.  Apparently, I'm the only person who doesn't like taking up other people's time for stuff I can do myself.  When I have a question about a website, my immediate reaction is not to send an email or post a forum question, it's to look through the website to see if the answer is already there.  I like to get my answers quickly, rather than bugging someone and having to wait for them to respond...  But apparently I'm the only person on the internet who does this...  Guess I might as well just remove all of the informational portions of the website.  No one's going to read them, anyway, apparently.  No need to post to my Writing Status thread, since I'm supposed to post a whole new answer when people ask questions I've already answered.  We can do away with the Pub Announcements section, too...  Boy, this is going to make the new site much smaller.  But, no point in putting stuff in there that no one's going to use...

Putting a link to the writing status isn't as simple as you make it sound, because I'm the ONLY author who has a writing status thread, plus sending them to the BEGINNING of the writing status thread would be downright silly.  So... where within the thread do I send them?  The last post?  The post at the beginning of the month?  The post ten days ago?  Any of that means writing a new script, since we're talking about a moving target now...

A lot of these kinds of things will be corrected by the new version of the website, which will have a dedicated writing blog, as well as personal blog, for each author automatically, which will be accessible from their section of the site.

As to doing away with posting directly from within the story pages:  Us authors get few enough comments NOW, and you want me to make it HARDER for people to give feedback?  (If you watch, a LOT of the comments come directly from the story sections.)  Not to mention that the feedback boxes in the story sections allow for users to send their message via email, instead of forum post, so it has an additional function that cannot be duplicated by the forum.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#128 2017-03-08 18:41:43

Jamril
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Okay... a student, introduced to the readers already, within 4 years of David's age, who is non-human.

Let's break this down:

Non-human students already introduced to the readers, who are female:  Shell, Devyn

I think we can all safely say it is NOT going to be Devyn... so you're saying it must be Shell?  Oh, but wait, you also said "most likely without intimacy until this point"... which rules out Shell, too...

You've ruled out everyone.

Has he? After reading the story a second time a question popped up in my head. Are all the students you introduced really all humans? Okay the maincharackters  should be, but what about Tiffany from book 1, all the girls David speaks to during his investigation in book 4 or the other girl form the handbook staff in book 2 and so on. All we learn about them is their names and sometimes how they look like. But they all could be Vampires or Weres, who are hiding there true identity.

So the question is, have you always said that one Char is not a human?

#129 2017-03-08 19:01:29

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

I know l am a virtual unknown to nearly everyone here besides Mr. Storm, but l am just finding my way around the niceties of the site. (Forum, writing status, etc) If l had a question l'd send it to him direct via the email option at the bottom of the story/chapter. While l can see most everyone's POV in the comments after questions it stands to reason that for as long as Mr. Storm has been writing he has all the basics asked a minimum of 2000 times.

P.S l for one am fortunate that because of the delay, l have gotten to read though some of his othe exemplary works (J7 and illicit relations just to name the last)

#130 2017-03-08 21:01:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'd like to point out that the other real problem with the question posed that caused the uproar was its brevity.  Had I received this question in an email, it would probably have gotten a similar response.

I really don't enjoy it when people send me messages asking about posting schedules, or pointing out typos, or things like this, and say NOTHING about the story itself and how they like it, or what it is they like about it.  It makes me feel like a computer.  "Print ETA to completion of PID: 69, PNAME: The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 3", or "EDIT Line 10428: UPDATE 'wehre' TO 'where'."  Beep Beep Boop!

Okay, yes, that was being a bit silly, but sometimes I really do start to feel like people think I'm not a person, just an "author"... some nebulous conceptual thing that churns out fiction but has no backstory of its own.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#131 2017-03-08 21:38:52

Augur
Wasted

As I said Eric. I do understand the context of your reactions, still there are times you do overreact. Like in your last post. :) Of course you are fully in your rights to do so if you wish. It´s your site after all. But really, there is no need to take down the information in your page. Information is necessary and most do make use of it, but there is also no need to be mean with people who simply may not know your rules, or know how to navigate your site. Just pointing them in the right direction: "check the writing status thread", takes no more time than writing a sharp response. Or ignore such questions and allow other forum members to answer the question for them. They may be nice, or they may be mean, but it doesn´t have to bother you in the least. :)

Also my suggestion for a writing status link is just to make it more obvious to new people that may not even know that an additional forum, besides the item information page exists at all. For oldtimers it´s a non issue.  As for where to send someone, obviously it should be the last post. Any information that may get burried can be put in a sticky if you so wish, but it isn´t that necessary in my opinion. Either way you say you have a new site design in the works, so that means you do have some ideas of what you wish to fix yourself.

As for people seeing you as an impersonal entity, well it happens, specially with new people. It takes time to get to know someone and establish some other type of personal connection, besides "the guy that writes the stories I read". In the end if you allow something to bother you, you are the one worse for it. It may sound like a platitude, but I have found it to be true for myself. Of course sometimes something may still push my buttons, same as everyone, still I find it best to not get bothered up if I can avoid to do so.  Your approach and results may be different :) .

Last edited by Augur (2017-03-08 21:39:32)

#132 2017-03-08 23:02:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, I tried not letting out my frustration at the insanity that gets directed my way.  My "Idiocy Disposal Tank" got full, and I had no more room for their bullshit, thus I am required to vent frustration when this sort of thing occurs.  I have never had the ability to "not let things bother me".  Personality flaw, I guess, but when things finally get past my patience, I don't let them go.  And despite what this conversation may make it seem like, I have a LOT of patience... but lately I've also faced a LOT of bullshit.  Not all from this direction, but my IDT doesn't much care which way the idiocy is coming from.

As to "not answering"... yeah, I can't do that, either.  I was that kid in class you all hated, because every time the teacher asked a question, I was the one with my hand raised ready to answer it.  If someone asks a question, and I know the answer, I have a very difficult time not responding.  Not to mention this particular question was directed AT ME, and I consider it rude to not respond to people who are talking to me... even if my response is snappish, I consider that better than no response at all.

And as to it taking time for people to get to know me... I would like to point out that nadleeh has been a member of this site for 3 years, possibly a visitor for longer than that.  And it is often the case that the people who post messages like this are not "new".  They are just not part of the vocal community. 

In any case, it's clear that everyone disagrees with the way I reacted, so I'm just going to drop the subject.

As to me removing pieces of the website, obviously you weren't aware I was using hyperbole to make a point.  *shrugs*  Such is my life.  I'll shut up now.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#133 2017-03-08 23:28:38

Augur
Wasted

Don´t worry, I´m not defending Nadleeh in this particular case, and I´m not exactly disagreeing with you. It´s your choice what to do with the contents of your IDT: make soup, or vent it. :)   As for "not letting something bother you" it´s like a muscle, the more you train it the easier it is to use it.

In a way it is, so I get it.  I also get the compulsion you feel to answer a message directed at you. You are preaching to the choir on that. :)

Again, I´m not particularly defending Nadleeh. You are right that he is not exactly new around here. Just trying to point out a few things and particularly alternative solutions to the problem. But if you got to vent the IDT, well, you got to vent it :) :) :) . 

As for Hyperbole, well that´s not an exclusive tool of yours Eric. Others can and do use it from time to time, or just "follow your idea train" when answering your post. I was also trying to convey a point in a somewhat indirect way. Still in the end, you are lord and founder of this page, you set the rules, not any one of us. :)   

Anyway, I´m expanding to much. That´s a flaw of mine, I´m truly sorry. The intent of my messages is helping find a way that would stress you less. Specially in situations when it´s not worth it to feel frustrated or angry.

Last edited by Augur (2017-03-08 23:30:12)

#134 2017-03-09 01:33:22

runkmaster24
Inebriated

I'm not asking Eric just ask I.g in general I have nvr been good with forums in general I've always had issues navigating them I don't know why but would someone be able to explain where I find the writing status thread I had thought I found it but honestly I didn't see the status for this chapter I know Eric had said earlier about a couple days and honestly this isn't about that I'm just looking for some help navigating the forum and again I'll except help.from anyone

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#135 2017-03-09 01:57:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

----
Facebook page

#136 2017-03-09 03:52:50

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

runkmaster24 wrote:

I'm not asking Eric just ask I.g in general I have nvr been good with forums in general I've always had issues navigating them I don't know why but would someone be able to explain where I find the writing status thread I had thought I found it but honestly I didn't see the status for this chapter I know Eric had said earlier about a couple days and honestly this isn't about that I'm just looking for some help navigating the forum and again I'll except help.from anyone

Please note that I am not attempting to eclipse Eric's succinct post.

Here are some instructions which may help with your navigation of the board:

You can navigate from the information pages by clicking on the "here" in the phrase, "The entire thread can be found here", which may be found at the top of the comments. This will bring you to the forums, at the beginning of the thread associated with the information page which you were viewing and you can then follow the steps below to get to the Writing Status thread.

Once you are actually in the forums, at the bottom of the page, you will see where you are currently located. This thread will show - Index > Eric Storm > Woodward Academy, Year 7, The (BTW, this same information shows up at the TOP of post editing pages)
1 - if you click on Eric Storm, you will be taken to the listing of all of the forum threads created for ERIC
2 - Writing Status is a "sticky" thread, always near the top of this list

If you want to go to the forums from the main page, you will need to navigate the entire forum. Don't worry, it's not all that hard
1 - click on Communicate to open that menu and select "Forum"
2 - find the section that you want to see - for Eric's Writing Status thread, you will need "Feedback Zone"
3 - select Eric's name from the list but don't ask me why they are not arranged differently
4 - select "Writing Status" from the stickies threads near the top of the list

Last edited by darthel0101 (2017-03-09 03:55:24)

#137 2017-03-09 05:00:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Answer to point #3:  Because PunBB has some very strange system for ordering them when it adds one, and the only way to fix it is to manually adjust them every time a new author is added.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#138 2017-03-09 15:25:56

justsomeguy
Inebriated

First and foremost let me say I very much enjoy your writing. You have a great gift and I for one appreciate that you choose to share it with us. I regret that I am not in a position to make a donation at this time, so I wait patiently for material to be released from prm and am thankful that you do.

In regard to your response to certain posts, I actually feel that you were perfectly reasonable and actually showed a fair amount of restraint. Finding and reading the forums, especially posts concerning authors that interest me, seems a reasonable expectation before asking a question that logic would dictate has likely been asked before.

Just know there are those of us out here that do feel your frustrations and roll our eyes with you.

Thank you for what you do, I hope the need to put your thoughts to "paper" continue. Good luck Eric.

#139 2017-03-09 16:34:03

Desgi
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Answer to point #3:  Because PunBB has some very strange system for ordering them when it adds one, and the only way to fix it is to manually adjust them every time a new author is added.

Eric Storm

[sarcasm] cause THAT wouldn't get to be a hassle awful quick[/sarcasm] 3dsmile

Some sites seem to have issues like that, even huge ones. Haven't started any new series for a while so they may have fixed it, but last year Youtube... of all places, had playlists stuck in date uploaded order (descending, newest first) so if you found an episodic video series, you couldn't pull up a playlist and start from beginning.

Seems like punBB has some similarly screwy logic going on behind the scenes. I wish I knew enough about coding to say if choices like these were made for coding's sake or idiocy's sake.

#140 2017-03-09 17:12:49

Freon22
Wasted

Desgi wrote:

I wish I knew enough about coding to say if choices like these were made for coding's sake or idiocy's sake.

No Eric is right he would have to manually reorder the forums each time he added a Author. Or I should say that Feedback Zone is the main forum and each of the authors are sub-forums. The creators of the forum wanted the Admin to have control over how each forum and each sub-forum was ordered along with what permissions are allowed for each user group. LOL at lease that is how my forum works, it is a Web Wiz Forum and coded in C#. PunBB maybe a little different but it seem to be grouped a lot a like.

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#141 2017-03-09 19:22:02

Desgi
Inebriated

I think you misunderstood me. I meant the punBB ordering choice, if THEIR choice was codings sake or idiocy's sake.

Eric's choice is a no-brainer, it'd be ridiculous to expect him to reorder things manually so frequently.  Sorry I wasn't a bit more clear there, hope I didn't offend anyone thinking I was bashing Eric.

#142 2017-03-10 08:04:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

What, two hours, and no comments?

You done with that feedback, yet?

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#143 2017-03-10 09:04:45

NobfromOz
Inebriated

Another exciting chapter, Eric. Well worth the wait and with you in such distress, re your health suffering as well. Christa, I see will become a real pain in the ass for David.

(posted from Chapter 3: August)

#144 2017-03-10 09:35:30

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Right about now im thinking david is glad wizards havint invented the witch wide web

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#145 2017-03-10 10:26:01

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Another fantastic chapter. Well worth the wait.

#146 2017-03-10 11:27:20

Sniper
Inebriated

"Formendi Senrasen!"

Made my day. Apart from all the references to Parry Hotter, Babylon 5 and whatever else, it is always interesting to see where you are borrowing your spells from.

#147 2017-03-10 12:50:00

runkmaster24
Inebriated

Worth the wait great chap can't wait for next month ... and thank you darthel0101 for the assist in navigating the forums

#148 2017-03-10 13:42:57

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Damn, things are heating up all over the place....great chapter Eric.

#149 2017-03-10 19:09:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  Glad you enjoyed the chapter, belated though it might have been.

Sniper:  Um... just where do you think this spell came from?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#150 2017-03-10 19:35:23

Sniper
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  Glad you enjoyed the chapter, belated though it might have been.

Sniper:  Um... just where do you think this spell came from?

Eric Storm

This is, if I remember correctly, the second or third spell that you took from german. Although it is not 100% correct, if I am right in my assumption. Several others I could recognize as or track to other languages, ie. "Pichac" means to pitch in Hindi.

"Formendi Senrasen" = Formen disen Rasen = correct "Forme diesen Rasen" or in english "Shape this lawn" (your original english sentence might have been slightly different. Of course this could just be a coincidence.

Board footer