The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#176 2022-02-21 21:45:49

ChiefRock
Wasted

Re: Agent of Change

I would have trouble playing a radio. Why not the same as Helen? fellow flute players I am sure that would give you wider latitude as the author

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#177 2022-02-22 09:42:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... how would that give me wider latitude?  It's all the same band...

Although, come to that... IS it the same band?  Is there a varsity and junior varsity band?  I was not in band, so I don't know.  If there are two bands, then Helen would have to have been insanely good to be in the same band as Linda...

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#178 2022-02-22 22:47:29

thehilz
Completely Blotto

I would think that with the double bass being 6+ feet that it would be hard for a shorter person to play as well.

#179 2022-02-23 07:34:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

How many high school bands you know have a double-bass in them?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#180 2022-02-25 03:48:56

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Eric Storm

I have learned not to presume with you Eric so I am not trying to write your script. My thoughts were along the line of; Two flute players would have things in common. This could bond or provide conflicts. Most instruments have multiple players in a school band. These players interact which provides wider latitudes. I did not overthink it

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#181 2022-02-25 08:49:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, it's just a matter of word choice.  I would have said something like it provides more built-in scenarios.  When you say "wider latitude", it makes it sound like there's more things I can do if they're playing the same instrument than if they're not, and that confused me.  It's just that playing the same instrument makes certain things more "organic"... like a rivalry (friendly or otherwise).

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#182 2022-02-25 18:31:39

Pleidius
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Although, come to that... IS it the same band?  Is there a varsity and junior varsity band?  I was not in band, so I don't know.  If there are two bands, then Helen would have to have been insanely good to be in the same band as Linda...

Eric Storm

I was in our school band and concert orchestra back in the day.

If you're prepared to face the consequences, go ahead . . .

#183 2022-03-02 09:16:06

sermona
Inebriated

intruments with strings can constructetd smaler (for children ther are violins with 1/32 of the standard size). it is possible because you can adapt the strings tension. but with smaler instruments you lose volume/room for resonance and lower frequencies need volume to develop, so the tone quality degrades for smaler instruments and lower frequencies.
but for dubble bass you only need to have large hands for some dubblestops. i played in an orchestra with a double bass playing girl, 150cm.

wind instruments can only change the length. so if you want to construkt smaller instruments you need to create more loops.
transverse flutes for children have a bend and longer mechanics for the flaps.

but all wind instruments for smaler people, if you can acquire them, get more complex.
so a trombone player with short arms will have problems with the lower end of the spectrum or some sort of cord.
a tuba has another problem: the amount off airflow needed so. smaller player wold need unusal large lungs to play good with ease.

#184 2022-03-02 12:53:20

Zmaybe
Inebriated

oh how much fun it is to read.  Thanks.

(posted from Chapter 14)

#185 2022-03-02 22:35:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

sermona wrote:

transverse flutes for children have a bend and longer mechanics for the flaps.

As a player of the flute, I'm curious what you mean by "flaps".  Are you referring to the keys?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#186 2022-03-04 10:46:10

sermona
Inebriated

i'm not a native speaker, in german it's called 'klappen'. after consulting some online dictionary yes keys would be correkt.

#187 2022-03-04 10:59:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Ah, okay.  Yeah, I figured English wasn't your language, but wanted to make sure I was understanding you.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#188 2022-03-09 12:13:10

Zmaybe
Inebriated

Thank you Eric, love this story and am waiting patently for the next parts.  but the anticipation is agony...dang I hope you have some writing time soon.

(posted from Chapter 14)

#189 2022-03-09 18:18:48

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I like when Eric takes his time writing. Rather than give half assed work, he strives to give his best.

Zmaybe wrote:

Thank you Eric, love this story and am waiting patently for the next parts.  but the anticipation is agony...dang I hope you have some writing time soon.

(posted from Chapter 14)

#190 2022-03-09 19:32:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While I appreciate the sentiment, Elessar, the ironic part is, my best writing occurs when I do not have to "take my time".  My best writing flows so fast that I have trouble keeping up with it, because it comes from an idea so complete in my head that all I have to do is tell you what I'm seeing.

When I have to "take my time", it's because I'm having to actually build the scene "manually".  Not my preferred method of storytelling, but often necessary when the story just isn't as well defined in my head.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#191 2022-03-14 23:38:05

mikkelsonr
Tipsy

I believe that the line was "This one time at Band Camp... I stuck my flute in my pussy..."

Eric Storm wrote:

Ah, the notorious American Pie.  I should have guessed.  Still, the joke makes no sense without context.  Oh, well.

As to playing the trombone... short people should not play instruments requiring long arms.  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Last edited by mikkelsonr (2022-03-14 23:38:37)

#192 2022-03-15 10:59:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I hope she was using the head joint... anything else would damage the flute... and probably hurt like hell.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#193 2022-04-03 06:30:44

goldragon69
Inebriated

Lol.  I still laugh when I read the chapter when Nick is moving boxes after painting bedrooms and a box gets dropped and the purple vibe rolls under the bed.  I think that would be alot less painful that the flute.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#194 2022-04-03 10:00:12

chevyzr2
Inebriated

Loving this story so far. Can’t wait for more chapters.

(posted from Chapter 8)

#195 2022-04-04 02:00:57

chevyzr2
Inebriated

Is there a way to read the PRM chapters? Do I have to donate to get that privilege or do I have to wait for them to be released?

#196 2022-04-04 02:06:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

chevyzr2 wrote:

Is there a way to read the PRM chapters? Do I have to donate to get that privilege or do I have to wait for them to be released?

Whichever you prefer.  Donating will gain access to PRM material as a thank-you for the donation.  Or you can simply wait until they are publicly released.

Or you can do something else that makes me happy enough with you to gift you special access without donating.  (This one doesn't happen too often.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#197 2022-04-04 02:20:49

chevyzr2
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

chevyzr2 wrote:

Whichever you prefer.  Donating will gain access to PRM material as a thank-you for the donation.  Or you can simply wait until they are publicly released.

Or you can do something else that makes me happy enough with you to gift you special access without donating.  (This one doesn't happen too often.)

Eric Storm

I appreciate u reaching out and letting me know. Thank you. Unfortunately I can’t donate at this time so will have to wait for the next chapters to come out on their own. Really enjoy the story though.

#198 2022-04-04 02:58:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, you could try that third option... got any single female relatives you could "donate"?  3dangel 3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#199 2022-04-04 03:43:51

chevyzr2
Inebriated

Eric storm I sure don’t man sorry. Been married to long to know any single ladies lol

#200 2022-05-01 13:31:24

chevyzr2
Inebriated

Glad to finally catch this chapter. Great story so far and I’ll be on the look out for the rest to start being released.

(posted from Chapter 9)

Board footer