Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-11-13 23:26:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

Barbarian:

Does Marcus strike you as the studious type?  It's June: the school is in its optional summer session.  Marcus is highly unlikely to be there.

neolyn:

...*marks four more boxes on the calendar...*  mwahahahaha misch_smiley
And who the hell is "Beth"???

Jefferson:

ROFLMAO  3dbig_smile

Glad everyone's enjoying the chapter.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#27 2018-11-14 00:38:20

neolyn
Wasted

I meant Anne. I said Beth because Anne's personnality reminds me of a character with that name.

Well, since I gave four names and you said 4 more boxes I take it  my favourites are not doomed to die. : D

I'm still upset with you about Lize. >.> I understand that it was necessary for it too be brutal, but ... her just being dead like that, no goodbye, no  nothing... she deserved better. :'(

#28 2018-11-14 01:13:56

adultswim3
Inebriated

Excellent chapter that was well worth the wait. I'm excited to see the journey David goes on this year.

#29 2018-11-14 02:18:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

neolyn:

Well, they might not have been... till you said something...  mwahahahahaha.... misch_smiley

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#30 2018-11-14 02:27:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

neolyn wrote:

Since Joe and Lise are dead can't David make a trip to Heaven to see them again? Can't they come back as a ghost ?

Sorry that I forgot to answer this question.

Yes, they could, but it is tradition for them not to.  Ghosts hanging around those who knew them in life is not healthy for either side.  Yes, David could go find them, and he might, when he has time.  He's hardly in a position to do it at the moment.

Eric Storm

PS:  HAVEN, not HEAVEN.

----
Facebook page

#31 2018-11-14 05:55:21

fathertyme
Inebriated

Well... while it was already pretty much a sure thing. We can now DEFINITELY remove Lise from the "David's real girlfriend" list

#32 2018-11-14 06:58:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not necessarily... David could date a ghost long-term... 3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#33 2018-11-15 00:00:03

shadowlord
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Augur wrote:

Why didn't David use a levitation spell,

Because there is no such thing as a levitation spell.
Eric Storm

Certainly not trying to say it would be relevant in the context of the trap...  but, after the fight in the temple with Dailey (WAY7Ch10), Vivian casts a spell to get David out of the temple.  David refers to it as a "levitation" spell...

Also, in WAY5Ch6, after David stops the vandals from piling the rocks in front of the elemandy building, he "levitated the unconscious boy."  He doesn't explicitly say that was a spell, but neither did he explicitly administer a potion.

sl

Last edited by shadowlord (2018-11-15 01:03:31)

#34 2018-11-15 01:41:26

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Barbarian3165 wrote:

not sure Nick wished to be a were.  In my opinion, it is more likely he was turned against his will then changed sides figuring he was going to be shunned in Calamandian society.  I figure there is going to be a lot of racial tension between the were-citizenry of Calamandia and the other races that live in Calamandia.  And it will probably last for decades if not several generations (centuries).  The bigotry will probably drive quite a few out of Calamandia... not all, but a significant part of the population.  Of course we don't know how he was turned and if that was the cause of his becomeing a traitor to Calamandia, it also sounds like Eric isn't going to explain it to us 3dsad

I would have to agree about the situation. If nick wasn’t a traitor, he could very well have killed himself rather then stay a were. Then again, weres are able to change at will, so it’s likely this could be used in future chapters for a plot or something. Eric said he had it planned out... well plans change, he has asked for ideas before.

#35 2018-11-15 01:44:32

Elessar
Completely Blotto

shadowlord wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

Augur wrote:

Why didn't David use a levitation spell,

Because there is no such thing as a levitation spell.
Eric Storm

Certainly not trying to say it would be relevant in the context of the trap...  but, after the fight in the temple with Dailey (WAY7Ch10), Vivian casts a spell to get David out of the temple.  David refers to it as a "levitation" spell...

Also, in WAY5Ch6, after David stops the vandals from piling the rocks in front of the elemandy building, he "levitated the unconscious boy."  He doesn't explicitly say that was a spell, but neither did he explicitly administer a potion.

sl

I’ll reply simply because I remember Eric specifically saying, something about using these types of spells to move objects but not themselves. Or something to that affect. So Vivian could very well have used a spell to bring him to her rather then a levitation spell of its own.

As for stacking the stones... terramandy...

#36 2018-11-15 01:53:27

Maverick7508
Inebriated

As I expected, well worth the wait Eric. You continue to go above and beyond, including details that make the story have more impact. Thank you for working on this and may your muse stay at your side for many games to come.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#37 2018-11-15 03:23:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

shadowlord:

Good catch.  I had forgotten about those.  But as you may note, in both cases, the levitation was very low.  In fact, all levitation effects that are actually useful, are only capable of a few feet.  Anything above a few feet becomes highly unstable and uncontrollable.  (The ninkerbendo hex, for example, is completely at the mercy of the wind, or external magic forces.  It's completely uncontrollable by those inside it.)  This goes for potions as well as the spells.

Elessar wrote:

I would have to agree about the situation. If nick wasn’t a traitor, he could very well have killed himself rather then stay a were. Then again, weres are able to change at will, so it’s likely this could be used in future chapters for a plot or something. Eric said he had it planned out... well plans change, he has asked for ideas before.

Could you clarify what "plot idea" you're suggesting here?  I'm confused about what you're trying to say.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#38 2018-11-15 12:29:58

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

On the Marcus front, I just thought it would of been a nice plot twist.

As to Marcus' education, I figure he's at least two years and probably three years behind David.  He lost credit for the year he was expelled, and I figure they spent one year trying to get him into the second, third and maybe fourth best schools the next year and failed.  I wouldn't be surprised if He tried every other school rated better then Madchen Hall (hope I spelled that right), before he was finally accepted there.  I'm also speculating that Dean Lengal's opinion on Marcus expressed Dean to Dean probably went a long way to slowing down Marcus' education.  Also, from Past discussions on this board, He only has until the school year he turns age 25 to get his education or else he has to go live in Earth.  I don't think it was made clear if that was 'your done with school so get out' or if it was 'when your not in school you have to get out' after age 25.  So, if he's three years behind David that probably means he's just now coming up on Citizenship and he might need all the time and help he can get to pass that.  Of course, I'm just speculating here.  Maybe Marcus has already been forced to go live in Earth... hopefully someday you'll deign to let us know.  But getting his citizenship could be a big motivator for being at school over the summer.  Then again, the war could be a big deterrent.

Anyway, I'm almost sure that Marcus' isn't going to make it into book 8 now that Erle has fallen.  I suppose it is possible if or when the fight arrives on the Hastercants doorstep.  But then I think Marcus is such a coward that he and his whole family will probably flee south if not to earth during the whole thing.

On another front, the levitation spell question.  My problem with David casting a levitation spell comes down to two things, timing and function.  For timing, a 100 foot fall takes at most 2 seconds give or take a fraction of a second, assuming earth standard gravity.  He'd have to pull his wand, target Vivian and then cast the spell, and I'm not sure even David could do that while falling.  As for function, almost every casting of a levitation spell that I've ever read of in fantasy novels had the person casting the spell on solid ground and definitely not falling.  I have some concerns or serious doubts about a free falling person casting levitation on another person or object that is also falling.  David could of theoretically used one of the spells to slow his decent like he did when going over the ledge and into the magma during year 7 but that wouldn't have given him time to save Vivian.  And if He'd cast the slow falling spell on Vivian, that might not of saved her from the spikes in the pit.  So I guess I'm perfectly fine with the arm ghosted into solid rock.  Besides, it was interesting as written.

I shall now return to eagerly awaiting chapter 2 of year 8.

#39 2018-11-15 17:20:27

KaosKing
Inebriated

Mostly unrelated, and without any current studious backing, I have a gut feeling maybe David's mystery woman is Vivian. Interested to see if we will find out before the last chapter or two of the book, would be nice to see some interactions between David and his girl.

Thanks again for a great chapter Eric, as always.

Another thing about why David didn't use Terramandy, isn't that his worst element anyway?

Last edited by KaosKing (2018-11-15 17:21:19)

#40 2018-11-15 23:50:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Barbarian:

We know that Marcus was expelled in his third year, which, yes, he would have to forfeit that grade, and with no school at which to take the exam, he would also have had to forfeit his Traveler's Endorsement exam for the year.

We can reasonably assume that Marcus' assistance in "stealing" the Melancon Trophy was his entry fee to Madchen Hall, which would mean that, yes, he missed his fourth and fifth years of school.  So, third, fourth, fifth years gone.  Which means he has his sixth and seventh years only to achieve his Traveler's Endorsement.  With that, he could come back to a school to continue his education.  Now, Marcus was not a complete idiot: he passed his wizarding license exam on his first try.  Thus, we can assume that he managed his TE on his first try, as well (it's a much easier test...).  Thus, the likelihood is that he got his TE at the end of book 6.

Now, whether or not he managed to pass his Citizenship Exam on his first try... that's a much tougher question, due to his personality.  He might have been technically qualified, but remember that the CE is more about character than competence, so there is the chance that he failed his CE in year 7.

Summer school, however, wouldn't advance him toward his CE.  Those classes are optional, and therefore unlikely to be covered by CE testing.  So, in book 8, Marcus would either already have his CE, and thus not be attending school anymore, or he would have failed his first CE, and would be trying for it again... but it is an almost-certainty that he would not be there during the summer session.

And there is no way that the Savolars would go live among the technos.

Now, to the timing:  A 100-foot fall (or, more precisely, a 30.48m fall), will take 2.494 seconds, from a dead stop to the time they hit the bottom of the pit, at 24.4412m/s (54.7mph).  This ignores, of course, the length of the spikes, which I figure to have been about 3.048m (10').  So, that would be a distance of 90', or 27.432m, which would take 2.366s.

So, rounding, David's got 2.4s to do everything he's going to do.  The first 0.1s of that is used up in human reaction time, just noticing that something has happened that he needs to react to.  So, 2.3s of time to actually do something.  If he performs any significant evaluation of responses, he will run out of time before he does anything at all, therefore, his action has to be something that is nearly reflexive.

Pulling a wand and picking a spell are not reflexive actions.  David's initial plan would have been to simply reach out and "grab" the pit wall with his hand/arm, to stop himself from falling further.  (Again, a 100' fall is going to do significant damage to David, in any form.)  This was the plan David worked out ahead of time: it didn't require a decision on his part.

Vivian being there threw a wrench into his plans, but he didn't have time to consider anything else.  Any time taken to try to invent a new plan would have prevented that plan from working.  What David did was a simple modification of what he'd already come up with to save his own ass.  Even that probably wasted half a second, to decide that was what he needed to do.

As to a levitation spell working while one or the other party is already in motion, I don't see any reason for that to not work, given the spell's intent is simply to keep someone from touching the ground.  But as I've already said, the spells and potions that cause levitation in the Dugerraverse, do not levitate a person very far: perhaps 3 or 4 feet.  They would not have allowed them to avoid the 10' spikes at the bottom of the pit.  So even if David had been carrying his wand in his hand, and had the notion to cast the spell immediately, it wouldn't have solved the problem.

KaosKing:

Don't worry, you'll find out who Female Prime is before the end of the book.

And yes, terramandy is David's worst elemandy skill... but none of them are at a level where they can be used by him in an emergency of this type.  He simply requires too much concentration and time.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#41 2018-11-18 12:35:27

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Here is a technical question Eric, if David is falling and has time to ghost (not this fall with Vivian) and turn insubstantial....would he just sink into the ground or would he still hit and get hurt?? Late nights tend  to bring up some of the most inane questions huh lol

#42 2018-11-19 00:05:03

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

SJ,
My take on the subject is that David would do whatever he was intending to do with the interaction -- most likely impact it. IF he was able to think ahead, he might fall into it and, when he has his bearings straight, cross into Haven. It'd be interesting to see what happens then  😈

#43 2018-11-19 06:52:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

We saw the answer to this question in book 3, against the dark wizard who was after Simon.  David was in ghost form, and was affected by a pichac spell.  He was thrown against the window, not through it.  This is the default behavior, because David expects to hit things when he's thrown against them.  This will remain true so long as he is spending a significant portion of his time in solid form.

Now, darthel's suggestion bears looking at: that David has enough time to intentionally pass through the floor of the pit (or just the ground, whatever), and keep falling until he gets his bearings back... but if he has the time to reason that out, he has the time to cross into Haven ahead of the impact, thus preventing it (because in Haven, David can float like any other ghost, and so can come to a stop above the ground).  In fact, this would have been the ideal solution for the pit trap if David had been alone.  It would not help Vivian in the slightest, however, as she cannot enter Haven.  Perhaps David didn't consider it because of how much he loathes Haven.  (or because the author knew he'd need to save someone else with his pre-chosen plan... 3dangel )

If David were to pass into the ground, instead of allowing himself to strike it, he would accelerate toward the planet's core.  His speed would not be limited by a terminal velocity, because that implies interaction with the ground through which he is passing, which is precisely what he is preventing.  Should he try to solidify, or even interact with the ground, at this point, it would utterly devastate his body, as he would come to an instantaneous stop from whatever nasty speed he was traveling at.

And if he did manage to just fade into Haven after entering the ground... well... we shall leave the answer to this question undefined, but I think it likely that he would not be able to easily return to the surface of the realm.  In any case, given no information about the outcome, I don't think he'd want to risk it...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#44 2018-11-25 02:37:44

bigfoot
Wasted

Allow me to be contrary and say that I rather enjoyed Dark David. For far too long, we have watched David wear the white hat. While a well rounded person should be (on the whole) a role model, it's a good thing to lose yourself to the dark side every now and then if only to appreciate the struggles AND rewards of virtuousness. Darkness helps us truly appreciate the light.

#45 2018-11-25 03:44:41

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

We saw the answer to this question in book 3, against the dark wizard who was after Simon.  David was in ghost form, and was affected by a pichac spell.  He was thrown against the window, not through it.  This is the default behavior, because David expects to hit things when he's thrown against them.  This will remain true so long as he is spending a significant portion of his time in solid form.

Eric Storm

Got it, I remember that scene now.

#46 2018-11-26 08:57:09

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

shadowlord:

Good catch.  I had forgotten about those.  But as you may note, in both cases, the levitation was very low.  In fact, all levitation effects that are actually useful, are only capable of a few feet.  Anything above a few feet becomes highly unstable and uncontrollable.  (The ninkerbendo hex, for example, is completely at the mercy of the wind, or external magic forces.  It's completely uncontrollable by those inside it.)  This goes for potions as well as the spells.

Elessar wrote:

Could you clarify what "plot idea" you're suggesting here?  I'm confused about what you're trying to say.

Eric Storm

I apologize for the late response. As for what “plot idea† I am suggesting, well, that’s exactly it. I am simply saying that you COULD have a plot later in the story about nick, if he was a traitor, etc. this could simply be a spot where you wanted to dangle a teaser for us.

Possibly in book 9 or end of this book, you have a plan for him that was more pivotal in the war then just being turned into a were. It leaves it as a possibility at the very least.

#47 2018-11-27 00:04:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um...  There is no "book 9"...

Any future books in the Dugerraverse would not be named "The Woodward Academy, Year...", but would either be standalone, or would have another series name.  The story of David as a student at Woodward Academy ends with book 8.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#48 2018-11-28 07:09:24

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

So, he isn't going back after the war to finish his eighth year, or is the war going to be over before school starts back up?

Although, I can understand his eighth year actually in class could be rather sedate compared to the war.

#49 2018-11-28 08:49:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Perhaps David doesn't "survive" the war?
Perhaps Woodward Academy is destroyed?
Perhaps the Callamandians lose the war, and the Vrudenans prohibit humans from learning wizardry...
Maybe David decides his eighth year is fairly pointless, given that he doesn't really want to be a magistrate?
Maybe David succumbs to his dark side, and so is not really welcome any longer at Woodward Academy...
Maybe, during the course of the war, David finds something more important to him than Woodward Academy.
Maybe he discovers that Levi Dailey's claim is true, and that Woodward has betrayed him from the beginning...

...is that enough possibles as to why there isn't a book 9 in this series?  3dsmile

I can't answer that question without revealing too much about book 8.  I'm sure you already knew that.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#50 2018-11-28 16:01:25

xanbalest
Inebriated

There's also what he said earlier as well. Any other stories in this universe would either follow David's after-life in Dugerra or Earth, likely to constitute wrapping up any and all story lines still incomplete following this one, OR they'd be like the sequel to CAMP, only not following a child of David, but rather, someone else who would eventually meet up and interact with David, the book or series following this hypothetical new main character.

Given the level of animosity being stirred up, the only way a war like what is occuring in this book could conceivably end before next in book May would be a complete and total devastation of one side or the other. Now granted, that belief may in some part stem from my previous experience with reading or watching media concerning werewolves, and their almost multiversal leanings towards brutal territorialism (do forgive pseudo made up words, at least the ones I'm using here make some sort of sense. Unless you've seen them somewhere before, at which point, they're not made up, and you can disregard.....), they likely won't give up unless their forces are completely routed, and prisoners are an unlikely concept for the long term. Like Eric's first three points in his post, the war has every chance of going poorly, especially since the Vrudenans (Eric's word, so don't blame me for this one! *throws author under bus shamelessly*) have been preparing for this for several in universe years now, while Callimandia was, for the most part, caught flat footed.

All of this is to say that maybe (I wish I could trademark that word, but it doesn't belong to me), just maybe, when the last chapter of this book rolls around, we won't be left hanging and Eric will, perhaps kindly, give us all the closure we desire, either by the end of this book, or more likely, in a stand alone story or sequel series. Given his track record, I believe Eric won't be mean to all of us. Then again, I did throw him under a bus in this very post, but I'd like to think he's not vindictive enough to punish all of his loyal readers for the actions of one of them. (please? I'm also very loyal too! It was your CAMP series that drew me to this website in the first place.)

Now, I would like to say that, like many, I eagerly await future updates, not just the next chapter but all subsequent ones as well. But I understand that real life can, and probably rightly should be, more important than the mass of horribly addicted word junkies you have pestering you for even the tiniest fix..... er, I mean, your loyal readers..... yeah, that..... So please, do not take this to be a post trying to pester for answers or demanding more or faster updates. Take your time, deal with the adulting stuff. Most of us need to adult too, and those of us that do, understand you being unduly put upon by such stress and don't wish to further that stress. So, in short, you do you Eric.

Board footer