You are not logged in.

#801 2021-08-25 09:10:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

Possibly.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#802 2021-09-21 09:31:17

drestnar
Inebriated

Second read through.
Such an amazing world you created.
Hope to see more.
Good luck and thanks for an emotional ride.

(posted from Chapter 15: May - Zyla)

#803 2021-09-21 16:54:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#804 2021-09-23 01:45:46

KaosKing
Inebriated

Hey Eric,

A little late but I thought I should mention I found a spelling error in Chapter five where two children were playing with an "F7risbee", uh, unless that's a new magic kind of frisbee and I am just being ignorant! 3dtongue

Just figured I'd let you know in case you didn't. Re-reading it because I *love* Woodward

#805 2021-09-23 02:57:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

It's not MY fault you've never heard of an F7risbee.  There are twelve models, from the F1risbee to the F12risbee.

In Canada they play with an FFnrisbee, but you know, Canadians...

3dsmile  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#806 2021-09-23 03:11:19

KaosKing
Inebriated

Aah, I found them on Amazon, yes indeed. The F1risbee through the F12risbee are on their way!

#807 2021-09-23 03:32:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

In all seriousness, I still have no idea how I made that particular typo.  The 7 isn't even typed by the same HAND as the r...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#808 2021-12-04 05:30:57

Horsepower325
Tipsy

Loved this one. Hoping for a story spinoff featuring the inevitable antics of David raising a dragon... that'll be interesting.

#809 2021-12-05 05:50:16

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I’m curious about that as well, I just don’t seem much coming from that direction.

Horsepower325 wrote:

Loved this one. Hoping for a story spinoff featuring the inevitable antics of David raising a dragon... that'll be interesting.

#810 2022-06-04 23:50:26

daves.not.here
Inebriated

I just read The Woodward Academy from years 1 thru 8.  This is an epic series!  I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks,
Dave

(posted from Chapter 15: May - Zyla)

#811 2022-06-05 08:22:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.  Funny coincidence: I'm currently re-reading the series myself.  3dsmile

(and seeing little details that need fixing.  *sigh*  3dsad )

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#812 2022-06-11 07:57:54

drestnar
Inebriated

"Mercy is a virtue.  My Virtue is dead."
The scenes regarding Virtue were so well written that you feel for David.
Then when David has the talk with Cupcake.
I was wrecked.
That is excellent writing to get an individual so wrapped up in the story that they can feel.
Again well written and absolutely loving this read through. This is my 4th time I think

(posted from Chapter 7: December)

#813 2022-06-11 12:04:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks.  I'm glad the scenes had the desired impact.  Truthfully, I can't read them myself without being messed up afterward.

I'm not crying, you're crying!  3dtongue  hehehe

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#814 2022-06-13 00:48:06

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I am curious, the name Giuseppe Garibaldi… did you get the name from the guy or the ship? I mean the guy obviously came first but just curious.

#815 2022-06-13 11:44:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Elessar wrote:

I am curious, the name Giuseppe Garibaldi… did you get the name from the guy or the ship? I mean the guy obviously came first but just curious.

Neither.

Joe Garibaldi and Bill Sheridan were the original pairing of Rimohrs in the series.  They were named together, and represent two sets of references:

Joe & Bill:  The two detectives on Dragnet: Joe Friday, and Bill Gannon.
Garibaldi & Sheridan:  Two major characters from Babylon 5: Michael Garibaldi (chief of security), and Capt. John Sheridan (commanding officer)

Giuseppe is, I'm sure you realize, just Italian for Joseph.  There was a ship named the Giuseppe Garibaldi?  I've never heard of it...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#816 2022-06-13 21:15:13

Icehawk101
Inebriated

Babylon 5 was a great series.  I am cautiously optimistic about the reboot in the works, if only because J. Michael Straczynski is the showrunner and executive producer.

#817 2022-06-13 23:23:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I am always leery of reboots.  I don't think I've ever seen one that was all that good.  (To stop the obvious onslaught:  I never watched Battlestar Galactica.)

That JMS is in charge is heartening, but he's already said the show is going to be very different, so... why even call it Babylon 5?  Just pick a new name and make a show.  Seems like just trying to garner a fan base before the show airs, really.

I will give it a try if CW ever actually airs it.  It's already been put back to next year, so...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#818 2022-06-15 00:09:55

Elessar
Completely Blotto

As I am sure you love your wiki links, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian … _Garibaldi It looks like a pretty newer ship though.

As for the rest of it, well I have never heard of most of that, besides Galactica, which was only in passing.

Yes, I NOW realize, much later, that Giuseppe is Italian for Joseph.

Eric Storm wrote:

Elessar wrote:

Neither.

Joe Garibaldi and Bill Sheridan were the original pairing of Rimohrs in the series.  They were named together, and represent two sets of references:

Joe & Bill:  The two detectives on Dragnet: Joe Friday, and Bill Gannon.
Garibaldi & Sheridan:  Two major characters from Babylon 5: Michael Garibaldi (chief of security), and Capt. John Sheridan (commanding officer)

Giuseppe is, I'm sure you realize, just Italian for Joseph.  There was a ship named the Giuseppe Garibaldi?  I've never heard of it...

Eric Storm

#819 2022-06-15 07:45:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not sure I'd call 1983 a "newer" ship.  That was 29 years ago.

Not sure why the Italians felt the need to waste a billion dollars on half a carrier, either.  *shrugs*

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#820 2022-07-13 06:34:43

bigfoot
Wasted

I'm about to embark on yet another re-read of WA and I thought of a question I'm not sure you were ever asked or answered (of course, I'm probably wrong). We know how failed David's relationship ultimately wound up with his parents and like you've said, there's no real reason for him to reach out to them again. That said, is that the end of the Stroud line on Earth? Are there no cousins, uncles, aunts or grandparents? Up until he became a demighost, he was portrayed as a regular kid if a bit nerdy. Most people have relatives and if that is the case perhaps... well, no... you're going to say there's no story there. So I'm just asking because I don't recall if this was ever addressed.

#821 2022-07-13 16:02:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*shrugs and utters three-tone 'I don't know' noise*  (Why does that not have a name???)

Obviously, David was an only child, but we have no information about whether he has aunts or uncles.  Statistically, it would be odd for him to NOT have aunts or uncles.  It would imply that he is the only child of two only-child parents, which seems fairly improbable.

Thinking on it, the reason that I tend not to discuss extended families in my stories is because I didn't have one growing up.  We lived distant from our relatives for most of my childhood.  My relatives lived in Michigan and Florida, and while we did live in NY state until I was 8, we then lived in Louisiana and New Mexico.  Thus, seeing relatives was a rarity for me.

As to whether David has aunts/uncles...  I quote the Tootsie Pop narrator.

"The world may never know."

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#822 2022-07-15 23:34:28

dustbunny
Tipsy

I, too, just finished re-reading all 8 books. I noticed the number 42 popped up several times. Is that a Douglas Adams reference, or was there another significance?

#823 2022-07-16 03:44:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Really?  You think there's some OTHER possible meaning to 42???

3dtongue

I used to fall asleep listening to the radio play.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#824 2022-07-19 13:37:49

dustbunny
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

Really?  You think there's some OTHER possible meaning to 42???

3dtongue

That's what I thought, but I've been wrong before. Many times. I've kinda made a career of it.

#825 2022-08-07 21:38:49

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric -

Follow up question from the 8th book. At one point, the King told David that he was keeping him away from some of the things the military wanted him to do in order to keep his sanity. He also mentioned that the he (the King) didn't know if the Vrudans had demighosts and didn't want to give them any ideas in case they do. Now that the story is over, it begs the question are there Vrudan demighosts? I always thought no since demighosts cannot morph and that is a big part of being a were but I'm sure you have the definitive answer.

Board footer