The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-15 14:58:19

Severin
Tipsy

Site Down?

Just checking in with others. The main page is giving me mismatched security certification and then leads to a "Coming Soon" page. Some other pages are giving me 404 errors, while I can access some sections no problem using saved links. Is this just on my end, or is something up?

#2 2021-08-15 17:22:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Site Down?

Okay, without specific pages to check, I can't look into it.

However:

There isn't a security certificate on the site.  HTTPS is not implemented by Wolfpub at this time.  So, if you're receiving some kind of certificate error... something is very odd.

The site has not been changed in any way, shape, or form for at least a couple weeks, so you shouldn't be receiving any new errors.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2021-08-15 21:26:14

Severin
Tipsy

The original security certification warning was from my antivirus when going to the link under your name. Managed once to get a Firefox warning as well:

---
Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue towww.wolfpub.org. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid forwww.wolfpub.org. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.prod.iad2.secureserver.net, prod.iad2.secureserver.net

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
---

After accepting the risk, I got to a page that just says:

---

Future home of something quite cool.

If you're the site owner, log in to launch this site

If you are a visitor, check back soon.
---

Last edited by Severin (2021-08-15 21:29:11)

#4 2021-08-15 21:28:31

Severin
Tipsy

Just opened one of my bookmarks and managed to navigate back to the main page with no issues, so it may have just been a cookie issue on my end, so nvm. Sorry about that

Last edited by Severin (2021-08-15 21:29:33)

#5 2021-08-16 00:20:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Looking a little into the site's infrastructure, the "$part1.$part2" thing is part of the parser for the forum.  So it's possible that some kind of weird error caused a malformed URL within the link you clicked.  If it ever happens again, take a look at the link's URL, and see if it looks right.

That security message occurred because the link sent you... somewhere... that it shouldn't have.  "secureserver.net" is a GoDaddy server, but again, The Pub isn't running on an SSL certificate, so there shouldn't have been a certificate error.  The specific error it's showing you there is basically saying, "Hey, the certificate that this site sent me isn't valid for the domain name I just tried to go to."  You shouldn't ever get this error on a site that's not running HTTPS, which The Pub isn't (currently).

I don't know what truly happened, but if it keeps happening, let me know.  You should be able to just type inwww.wolfpub.org/main.php to get to the main page of the website, if you want.  Or you can typewww.wolfpub.org/forum to get to the main page of the forum.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2021-08-16 00:21:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so... I apparently have some digging to do.  The parser for the forum seems to be delivering malformed URLs for links now.

More info as it becomes available...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#7 2021-08-16 01:03:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

O......kayyy.....  Huh.

Now, I can only assume that you all were seeing what I was seeing, which was that links were printing out stuff that said "$part1.$part2" instead of actual URLs.  I had to check the actual database, to see that the URLs were being stored, just not displayed.

So, dig, dig, dig into ugly, two-decade-old code...  and...

HUH???

As you can (hopefully) see, I've gotten the URLs back working, but...

I'm not sure how they were ever working to begin with.  The code I saw should NEVER have worked.

So... ugh.  I don't know if you will have further issues or not.  If you do, let me know, and I'll look deeper.

Dammit, I really need to get back to work on version 2.0...  *sigh*

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer