The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-05 17:00:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The Recent Site Outage

Some of you may have noticed that, roundabout midnight, Monday/Tuesday, the site stopped responding, and told you it was "taking too long" to load.

This was a GoDaddy failure.  Something happened to the server on which The Pub was stored.  Now, why they don't have some kind of automated system for switching to a backup server when the main server fails, I don't know.  What I can tell you is that I was in chat with them for AN HOUR AND A HALF trying to get them to get their heads out of their asses to fix it.

Problem is, apparently fixing it meant assigning a new IP address to the website's domain name.  Those of you familiar with how the internet works know what this means:  A DNS server update propagation period.

Whenever the IP address associated with a domain name changes, all of the DNS servers around the world have to be "notified".  Now, this doesn't happen in the nice, neat, orderly way you might expect, but instead happens at semi-random, whenever the info happens to get to each DNS server.  This process takes from 24-72 hours to complete, depending on the vagaries of internet servers.

When you finally saw the site come back up, it meant your DNS server had finally been updated.

I don't know exactly what happened.  I don't know how many people they screwed over in their failure.  I don't know if/when this will happen again.  I DO know that GoDaddy sucks.

Eric Storm

PS:  An additional note:  If you sent me an email during the last couple days, and I have not responded to it, you might want to send it again, as there is a good chance I did not receive it.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2022-10-06 11:08:43

tcyrille
Inebriated

Re: The Recent Site Outage

you can't event do a malfoy "whait until my father heard about this"

#3 2022-10-06 14:19:21

bistander
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

This was a GoDaddy failure.  Something happened to the server on which The Pub was stored.  Now, why they don't have some kind of automated system for switching to a backup server when the main server fails, I don't know.  What I can tell you is that I was in chat with them for AN HOUR AND A HALF trying to get them to get their heads out of their asses to fix it.

I don't know exactly what happened.  I don't know how many people they screwed over in their failure.  I don't know if/when this will happen again.  I DO know that GoDaddy sucks.

Eric Storm

Thanks Eric for dealing with GoDaddy. I know that wasn't fun. Another site I'm involved with hosts there as well, and there have been several times GoDaddy has done something that I would have never expected. They have made the site slow at random times for some people and not others so it was hard to determine where the problem was. They have completely brought the site down, and they have done things that resulted in lost data. I wonder if they only treat sites with naughty material this way or do they do it to every company that hosts with them?

#4 2022-10-06 15:56:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2022-10-07 23:33:45

tcyrille
Inebriated

bistander wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

Eric Storm

Thanks Eric for dealing with GoDaddy. I know that wasn't fun. Another site I'm involved with hosts there as well, and there have been several times GoDaddy has done something that I would have never expected. They have made the site slow at random times for some people and not others so it was hard to determine where the problem was. They have completely brought the site down, and they have done things that resulted in lost data. I wonder if they only treat sites with naughty material this way or do they do it to every company that hosts with them?

i think itdepnds on thé packagés you have subcribed and how much you paie for premium services

Board footer