The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-15 17:02:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Recent Spam, and Front Page Update

As many of you have noted, recently there has been a wave of spammers on the site.  Accordingly, I have modded the forum to include one of those image verification thingies, to prove it's a human doing the registering.  This will have no impact on current users, of course... except, we hope, a reduction in the spam they have to put up with.

Additionally, I have modified the front page of the site.  It now displays only the title and posting time of the most recent news item.  If you have Javascript enabled, you can click the "Read Article" link to display a box that will show the article.  (This box is NOT a popup window: it is actually part of the page, you just can't normally see it.)  If you do not have Javascript enabled, clicking the Read Article link will take you to the forum to read the article there.  I'm hoping to reduce the clutter somewhat on the main page, and this makes the news article much smaller when you're not reading it, which is most of the time. 3dsmile

Please let me know if you have problems with the new news function, or if there is more spam found on the site (or if you're new here and have a problem with the new image verification thingy.)

Thanks,
Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2008-08-16 00:13:51

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: Recent Spam, and Front Page Update

Eric, I like the new thing on the front page, being able to read the most recent news item right there. But the news item appears BEHIND the front page stuff. So the "in chat now" the "quote of the day" the log-in info and other stuff are all sitting ON TOP of the news item. Makes it a little hard to read. 3dsmile

-jeff

Board footer