The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#351 2016-10-22 17:12:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Thanks for the ideas.  I appreciate the help.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#352 2016-10-23 01:48:52

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Are there any possible crimes that could be committed in Haven?  Like, Ghost on Ghost crime?  Also, what about using his dedication to the Kingdom and his position as a Rimhor to do some shhhhhpying (for K.A.O.S or is it Control)?

Last edited by Fenixreign (2016-10-23 01:50:08)

#353 2016-10-23 03:34:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

What are ghosts going to do to each other?  More to the point, what are the cops going to do to punish them?  They're DEAD!
Not to mention, as Haven is a completely different realm, the Rimohrs would have no jurisdiction over its normal inhabitants.  Their mandate is limited to wizards.  (LIVING wizards.)

As to spying... remember that Rimohrs are not subject to the king.  They are an international law enforcement body.  Rimohrs will enforce laws of the nations in which they work, but spying is a job for specific government agents.

And, of course, to spy on someone, David would have to leave his normal post - AND his schooling - which he's not about to do, and couldn't do without it being noticed.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#354 2016-10-23 05:31:09

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

How about some more annoyance crimes.  You had the party all night noise problem thing, how about someone in a crowd casting annoying but harmless spells that are irritating people so much the Rhimors are called in.  Childish prank type spells cast by young wizards for their own giggles but that no one is able to point a finger at and say he/she did it.  Illusionary nude placed on a woman walking down the street, tripping spells, remote pinching of women's bottoms whenever a certain man gets too close to them so he's always getting slapped.  Conjuring eggs out of the grocers bin of eggs so that they fall on peoples heads.  In a market full of wizards, who do you blame?  How do you catch them?  What kind of punishment is just?

On the earth side, how about some kind of corporate corruption?  Maybe a wizard or group of wizards are trying to manipulate one or more major corporations for their own gain.  Crimes could involve manipulating the stock market, manipulating the minds of corporate officials or employees in key positions of the company.

Smuggling of magical creatures to earth that are dangerous to normal humans.  Or creatures thought to be myth and legend being smuggled back into earth.  A pet shop with a few pixies or nymphs for sale?  Maybe a medusa?

#355 2016-10-23 07:01:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Some good thoughts there.  Thanks.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#356 2016-10-23 17:11:47

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

As a Rimhor though, David could get a case that takes him to Vrudena or even one of the other nations and he could act as a go-between for Callamandia and a "resistance" or just do some spying while he is there legitimately.  Use it as an opportunity to gather intelligence since he can go invisible and shit.  His inherent magical abilities from being a demighost lend themselves VERY well to espionage. 

As for ghost on ghost crime, it could be something that he gets requested for from Lord Woodward and Penny.  Ghosts do have "stuff" as evidenced by the comb David gave Penny.  Perhaps a simple theft, or even an artifact someone (living) is using to control ghosts to do stuff.  It might give you a chance to flesh out more on what Haven is like (unless it is a total grey blob of nothingness, which is totally possible).

#357 2016-10-23 17:58:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Haven is empty.  I have said this in the story already.  The only "things" in Haven are ghosts, a few mortessors, and the objects that ghost wizards have brought in.  It's not a gray blob: it's a black blob.  Haven is a world of darkness, except where the other two worlds are visible within it.

But you're still missing the point:  What's the purpose in investigating a crime that cannot be prosecuted?  Ghosts cannot be arrested, they cannot be jailed, they sure as hell can't be executed...  With the exception of some nasty things that demighosts can do to them (and the law would never have expected demighosts to cooperate, and so could not have depended on them to render punishment), there is literally nothing that the King could do to them.

Plus, I reiterate:  The Rimohrs have no authority over ghosts, just like they have no authority over technos.  Their jurisdiction is Dugerra, and wizards.

Or are you suggesting that David handle this "ghost on ghost crime" as a personal matter, rather than as a Rimohr?

As to David "spying"... He works in the Bolmont District.  It's a fair ways from Vrudena.  It is unlikely that he would have a case that would take him there.  Further, he certainly would not have repeated cases taking him there that would allow him to act as some kind of liaison between people.  And, though David can go invisible, he is still balked by "ghost prevention devices".  Since we already know that Alpha Hurovlad has erected divination blocks, it is likely that he is also preventing ghosts from being near him, as THEY could act as spies.

As to controlling ghosts to do stuff... well, logically, what would a wizard want to make them do?  Plus, controlling people is very, very difficult.  Mind control is not a common phenomenon in the Dugerra universe, though it does happen through certain, very specialized, often very complicated, means.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#358 2016-10-24 03:44:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for October 23, 2016:

The Woodward Academy, Year 6, Chapter 12: May has been started.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#359 2016-10-24 21:52:28

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Yes, he is NORMALLY if he is ghost form, BUT could he combine his own invisibility with his potion?  If I remember correctly, his potion allows bypass of normal ghost prevention shit AND he wouldn't be using his (super)natural ability to become insubstantial.

#360 2016-10-25 00:53:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, first off:  When he's invisible, he is in ghost form.  That is one of his two ghost forms.  ALL ghosts can turn invisible.

But no, using his potion to become ghostly would not circumvent ghost protection devices, because he IS a "ghost".  It doesn't make any difference whatsoever what form he's in.  He is a ghost.  The ghost prevention devices don't work on your "ghost form".  They work on ghosts.  David would not be able to enter anyplace with GPDs, no matter whether he was solid, liquid, or gas.  (Yes, that's a joke.)

If they were going to attempt this sort of espionage, they would simply find real ghosts willing to do the job.  (This would take quite a while, but they'd probably find a few eventually.)

And David is not a military officer.  He's a cop.  You're asking Joe Friday to become James Bond.  (Not a good analogy, because Bond is not really a "spy".  He's a covert operative.  Spies try NOT to be noticed...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#361 2016-10-25 02:58:29

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

See, that's where I misunderstood.  I thought that when he had a physical form, he was not subject to the GPDs because a human is a ghost bound into a meat suit.  Since he can be invisible but still be physically substantial, I thought it might work.  My misunderstanding of the way the GPDs worked.

#362 2016-10-25 07:14:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"Physically substantial" may be misleading... though I have used the term, so that would be my fault.  While he can physically interact with things, he's still not really "there".  Some ghosts are capable of this same physical interaction.

And David's existence is far more complicated than "spirit bound into a meat suit"... In fact, he could be more looked at as a meat suit wrapped in a ghost, because his spirit self carries his physical self within it.

In simplest terms, a GPD prevents a ghost-ish entity from crossing its barrier, no matter its form.

Now you can ask yourself why they're not hiring fairies as spies, since GPDs don't work on fairies...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#363 2016-10-26 00:18:13

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I don't know that I have anything specific to contribute as far as problems to solve go, but I'd kind of like to see more interaction with the not human population of the world.  Like...do the fairies ever need a Rimorh for anything?  If they normally wouldn't go to them, what would make them resort to calling them in?  Presumably crimes are not just among the humans of that world.  So interspecies crimes or maybe just a non human species-specific problem that David could solve.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#364 2016-10-26 01:39:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While it is an option, I mentioned at some point that Rimohrs tend to deal with issues among their own race, to help the masses feel more comfortable.  (elves having the rule of law imposed on them by human Rimohrs would feel rather offended, thus Elven Rimohrs are used, instead.)

Which is not to say he couldn't handle a non-human issue.  Just that this is why it doesn't come up very often.  He did deal with that river troll...

And, of course, there's not really a reason that any of the previously mentioned ideas could not be adapted to a non-human species, so...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#365 2016-10-27 13:41:10

Pudding5
Inebriated

A group of wizards operating on earth, distributing potions to humans. (passing them off as some type of new party drug)
However the potion maker behind it all isn't all that great and makes occasional mistakes that have dangerous consequences when people use the tainted potions, causing some amount of chaos.
The group responsible could be a few wizards who were kicked out of a potions guild or something.

Last edited by Pudding5 (2016-10-27 13:42:21)

#366 2016-10-27 17:19:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sounds interesting.  Thanks for the idea.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#367 2016-10-29 05:38:55

fathertyme
Inebriated

He could end up investigating something earth side that takes him back to his hometown, where he ends up running into Jenny Bishop, his parents, or perhaps his best friend (did he even have one?) - either as part of the investigation, or just a *whoops* moment, but something that brings him back into contact with his past and shows (even if just to himself) how much he has changed from the person he was into whom he is now

as for investigations... His being specifically requested by one of the other species to investigate something would be a nice character builder... mermaids, fairies, etc... some kind of species hate crime perhaps? Maybe he gets summoned to his hometown to help a wood nymph who's home is under threat?

#368 2016-10-29 16:33:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, there is little likelihood that a case starting in NE Callamandia would manage to wind up in a small Illinois city unless it directly involved David to begin with. And Jenny Bishop is very unlikely to still be in Eureka, IL.  She was going off to NYU, which strongly implies she wants to get the hell OUT of Eureka.  It's pretty unlikely she'd come back to stay after she graduated.

That said, David will be confronted by his past before the series is over.

As to him being "specifically requested"... why would he be?  As a Rimohr, there's not really anything unique about him.  And there would be no reason for him to be summoned to handle the wood nymph issue, even if it was his home town.  It's someone else's district.  Eureka, IL (a fictionalized version of a town that is a suburb of Peoria... I mean, c'mon, a SUBURB of PEORIA?????) is SW of Chicago.  Chicago sits about where Erle is in Dugerra.  LOOOONG way from Bolmont.  Probably a district in-between the Bolmont District and the Erle District.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#369 2016-11-01 04:22:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 1, 2016:

The Woodward Academy, Year 6, Chapter 11: April has been posted to PRM.
The Woodward Academy, Year 6, Chapter 5: October has been made public.

WAY6-12 is underway.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#370 2016-11-23 04:24:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 22, 2016:

I've started writing again.  WAY6-12 is nearly 10,000 words at this point.  I should have it finished in time to meet the release schedule.  I cannot guarantee it will have time to be reviewed first.

I just received the first hard copy version of WAY1 from the printer.  Things did not go as desired or expected.  I will have to find a way to fix things.  That may involve finding a new printer, so this project is still up in the air.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#371 2016-11-30 02:03:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 29, 2016:

I don't normally post these notices until Keeshaba has had a chance to read the chapter, but in order to alleviate some possible fears that may be out there (assuming anyone's been paying attention...)

The Woodward Academy, Year 6, Chapter 12: May is finished, and is with the reviewers.  I will obviously NOT be waiting for reviewer response before posting it on the 1st.

I will warn everyone now that the posting of this chapter may be somewhat late (it will still happen on the 1st).  Keeshaba has a medical procedure tomorrow which is going to royally screw with our schedule, and so I may end up working until after midnight to get the chapter proofread before posting.  It is possible that it may even be delayed until later in the day, but it WILL happen on the 1st at some point.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#372 2016-11-30 04:25:19

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Take care of Keeshaba.  If it doesn't get out for 2 weeks, it doesn't matter.  Keeshaba's health is magnitudes more important and you being there is just slightly less important than that.

#373 2016-11-30 07:20:42

Archangel1962
Wasted

As Fenix said Keeshaba is what matters most. Just do what you need to do to look out for you and yours.

BALLAD of The US Navy SEAL Teams
Im a lover, a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. Last of the bare-knuckle fighters.
No muff too tough, I dive for five, tuck, suck, fuck, nibble and chew.I dine and interwine, masturbate, ejaculate and copulate.Been around the world twice, and talked to everyone once. Seen two white whales fuck, and been to two pigmy picnics.Met a man from Nantucket with a marble head and wooden cock, and ladies, if you dont like my face you can sit on it.

#374 2016-11-30 11:44:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I don't want to give the wrong impression: Keeshaba's is having an outpatient procedure, and she'll be home (and back in bed... maybe both of us...) later today.  (God, I hate mornings...  Sunrise is when you go to BED, not when you get up, guarddammit!)

I do thank you both for your thoughts, however.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#375 2016-12-01 03:47:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update #2 for November 30, 2016:

I will not be able to post WAY6-12 until the afternoon or evening of December 1st.  I got only three hours of sleep last night, and I am not clear-headed enough to do something so mentally taxing as proofreading tonight.

Keeshaba came through her procedure without problems.  She is home now.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer