The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1101 2019-04-19 21:10:14

Hakhazar
Inebriated

Re: Writing Status

What lemon-flavored med did they give you? The prep I get now is pretty flavorless, just kind of a non-specific "bleah". I usually wash it down with Gator-death of one flavor or another. The meds for the procedure itself are all IV-based for me - it used to be valium and demerol, then verset and demerol, now propofol.

Yeah, the hungry part sucks. I normally eat something every hour or two, and a day-long fast is challenging. I get really pissy, I'm afraid.

Eric Storm wrote:

I was never worried about the procedure.  The damned MEDICATION is the worst part: that shit was fucking NASTY.  Almost bad enough to make me hate lemon flavor.  (To help you get how bad that is, lemon is my favorite flavor...)

I had a barium enema when I was 21, so I was fully prepared for the prep.  Frankly, with IBS, the diarrhea wasn't even the worst day I've had in recent times.

But I am FUCKING HUNGRY, GODDAMMIT.  Ever notice how many food commercials there are on TV???

Eric Storm

#1102 2019-04-19 21:30:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, of course the sedatives are IV-based: they don't want to risk something going into your stomach at THAT point.

The med I was given for prep was magnesium citrate.  It is "effervescent", strongly lemon-flavored, and, being a citrate, has a highly acidic nature.  As I said, I love lemon.  I will drink lemon juice straight from the bottle (in small quantities, don't get me wrong...)  I think it was the whole effervescence thing that really killed it.  I tried chasing this crap with my usual drink of choice ("enhanced" water), but that wasn't really killing it much.

Funny part about the whole hunger thing is that I was never really feeling physically hungry.  It was the emotional thing of, "There's all this good stuff in the house, and I CAN'T EAT IT!!!!!"  So, yeah.

Oh, well.  It's behind me, and I don't have to do it again for another 5+ years, by which time they'll have moved on to something else, I'm sure.  Maybe that cologard test will become more effective, thus usable on people like me (high risk individuals).

That'd be nice.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1103 2019-04-20 09:55:58

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Some reason to actually think you'll be dead before 50?  Keeshaba thought she would be dead before 30 for a couple years... then her 30th birthday came and went.

Thankfully, she never made the same prediction about 40...

Eric Storm

Well I wasn't very easy on myself in my younger years, my backs been broken twice (not bad enough to paralyze, but still broken) my neck broken once, I've had 14 cracked ribs, 7 broken ribs (at various times), separated the muscle from my ribs on the right side once (now THAT was painful) I've had guns and knives pulled on me, been cut a few times (but never very badly).....I drove a truck over the road for years, which beats on the body pretty hard....worked as a bouncer for a few years, worked Armed Security for about 8 years off and on....

I have just lived a hard life, and now, I have COPD, mild Heart congestion, bad hips and knees that my Dr. won't let me get fixed (she don't want me under anesthesia with my COPD) a bad back, neck problems....basically I have a 120 year old body after only living 46 years lol

#1104 2019-04-20 14:56:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so the only thing you mentioned there that is actually life-threatening is the COPD and the heart congestion.  I know about COPD, as it's what my father died from.  (That'll teach you to do all that smoking... )  The bad skeletal structure just makes you miserable, not more likely to die.  Makes you WANT to die, but not more likely to.  (I have a bad back and bad knees myself.  Bad enough to be painful.  NOT bad enough to do surgery on.  Grr.)

And what gang did you belong to when you were a kid?  Yeesh.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1105 2019-04-21 14:59:52

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Gang? shoot that was just living, the ribs were from various things as I grew up like working as a bouncer and security....and yeah, I know that bad bones are going to kill me...but man do I hurt a lot 3dsad as for the COPD, I agree...I should never have started smoking when I was 12 and I really should stop now...but I haven't yet

#1106 2019-04-23 05:56:04

Elessar
Completely Blotto

What you can do is get it towed somewhere and leave the keys in the ignition. Next day report it stolen and pray that people have ransacked the van.

zipybug14 wrote:

Congrats on the van Eric.  My family is stuck in the same situation, we still owe on our van that we can't drive(the transmission died).  The icing on the cake is that until we pay off the loan we have to keep insurance on a fancy chunk of steel.

#1107 2019-04-23 15:11:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Let's just be clear that I do not advocate the commission of felonies, such as fraud and filing a false police report.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1108 2019-04-23 15:14:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...And let's not forget the personal danger involved in the plan:

In order for the police to BELIEVE the vehicle was stolen, the keys you've left in the ignition will need to include your house keys.  By law, your vehicle registration will be in the glove compartment - this will have your address on it.

You have now given whoever DOES find the vehicle, a way into your home.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1109 2019-04-24 02:49:24

Augur
Wasted

Why? I have never carried my car registration, technical inspection certificate and insurance certificate in the glove compartment. Usually I keep them inside a special pocket on the front of the driver seat. Also sometimes I carry the documents with me, when I park it in a location that I can't be sure is completely safe. Why should one be required by law to make it easier for felons to steal your car? That's absurd!

#1110 2019-04-24 04:20:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, it is required to be "in the vehicle" when in use.  Just that 99.999% of all people keep them in the glove compartment (where they never seem to put gloves, strangely...)

But, do you leave it in your car when you park in your driveway?  Because if you DO, then you cannot convincingly tell the police that your vehicle was STOLEN without your registration in it.  (And they'll find it highly suspicious if you happen to have it with you, because, as I said, virtually everyone leaves it in the car.)

And... how does leaving your registration in the car make it easier to steal???

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1111 2019-04-24 05:46:07

Augur
Wasted

Usually, but not always. As for how it makes it easier to steal a car, well, you said it yourself, you MUST have the car documents with you when you drive. If you don´t then on any traffic stop the car will be stopped and the driver checked out. So if you don´t leave the documents in the car there is a first barrier for any felon that wants to steal and drive your car away. Yes you can report the car stolen, but you may not notice that for quite a while (like for a few hours, sometimes more). Police officers won´t necessarily stop the vehicle to check your license, registration, insurance and so on, but if they do, then the robber lacking the documents will be suspected immediately. While if you leave the documents in the car, well, it just makes it easier for the felon to pass such a check easily. The point is not to make it too easy for the robbers to do their deed.

#1112 2019-04-24 16:47:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, the real registration is of no help to a car thief.

Why not?  Because it has YOUR name on it, not his, and he's going to have a fun time trying to explain to the cop why he has someone else's car.  And if he hasn't at least gone to the trouble to look at it and memorize your name and at least the street you live on, no cop is going to believe he borrowed it.

All of which, of course, is based on the notion that he gets pulled over after stealing your car.  Something he can avoid completely by simply obeying the traffic laws.

Of course, there's also the fact that most car thieves are stupid enough to run from the law when they're driving a stolen vehicle, and this will guarantee that the cop doesn't believe he borrowed the car...

No, the registration isn't going to help a crook at all.  You want to prevent someone from stealing your car, take the license plate instead.  (Of course, now your vehicle may get towed as being abandoned...  3dsmile  )

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1113 2019-04-25 02:27:19

Augur
Wasted

It depends on the jurisdiction. You can always lend your car to someone and don´t have any issues. As long as you have the documents in the car. As to explaining, you just tell them the owner is a friend, or family member and they lent you the car for a few days. In some few places this requires a special letter, or power of attorney, but in most locations it doesn´t, so having the documents is enough. For example when I was in California visiting my family, my cousin (who has a different surname than myself) lent me her car to go visit the Sequoia national park. I for sure didn´t know her address by memory as I don´t live in California and would have been unable to answer such a question if it was asked of me. As for the name of the person the car is registered to, well it´s written on the car registration card, so... 

Yes, but you can get pulled over for all sorts of stuff. Sometimes just because the officer wants to (there are always excuses that can be used for that), besides in many locations you get pulled precisely just to check if you have a valid insurance policy and a valid technical check/inspection of the car, but they check your license, registration, insurance policy and vehicle inspection certificate. It´s not a sure thing that you will get pulled over, but it happens and this may help to stop a car thief from getting away with his/her crime.

This could be, but it depends on the thief being stupid, which is far from guaranteed.

It can help as I already specified the situations this could happen. It may be just a small detail, but here we call taking preemptive measures against making it easier for thieves and robbers, "no dar papaya". As in you lock your home (instead of leaving it unlocked, which I assure you there are places in the world they do), you lock your car, if parked in a risky locations, or just for good measure, you also take the car documents when you get out of the car, if you can afford it you install alarm systems in your home and your car, when traveling abroad or catpursing prone locations you strive not to show or display too much expensive stuff (expensive jewelry, accessories, cameras, and so on), or have too much cash and so on. Those are small details that aren´t guaranteed to work, but in some situations they may actually help and that´s the idea.

#1114 2019-04-25 03:09:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, despite what most people seem to think, police officers - at least in the US - are generally busy enough without creating work for themselves.  That means they're not going to stop you without an actual reason to do so.  Now, that reason can be that you are acting hinky, but that's on you not to do, if you don't want to get caught.

Any place in the US where a police officer pulls you over JUST to check insurance/registration has just violated the Constitution, because they have no probable cause to make that stop.

And what you said about lending a car is why I said they would at least have to memorize your name and street name, both of which are on the registration.  If they don't know those things, they're not going to be believed that you know the person well enough to be loaned their car.  You probably wouldn't have been believed, if you'd been stopped.

I understand what you're saying about taking precautions.  I don't even leave my doors unlocked while I'm HOME, let alone when I leave.  I'm just saying that taking your registration with you - again, at least in the US - ain't gonna stop a car thief.  I mean, really: They're not going to know the registration's gone until they're already in the car.  They're not going to break in, find it gone, then say, "Oh, shit, I can't steal this car!"  No, they're just going to hope - like they do for every job - that they don't get caught.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1115 2019-04-25 04:05:00

Augur
Wasted

First the world isn't comprised only of the US. And even in the US different states or even different parts of the state have different policies. If a police officer wants to stop you, they can always find a reason, or rather an excuse to do so. Also you can be stopped for a random alcohol or drug test, or random insurance and vehicle inspection validity check and so on. At least in Europe, Australia, South America this can and does happen regularly, in the US random testing is at least permitted in some states (not all), so I'm sure it does happen too.

Not necessarily as I pointed up above. There ARE states that you can be pulled over for a random check. May be not in Florida, but I haven't been outside the airport of Miami, much less the rest of the state, so I don't have any idea how it's back there.

Nope, they didn't. And again, if necessary as you said it's on the registration card anyways. It's not my problem what the police officer believes or not. Lending a car isn't illegal, and in my case I hadn't done anything wrong. If push came to shove, I just would have asked the officer to call my cousin on the phone or whatever to check my story, but still, if someone were to steal a car and the documents were left inside of it, well, memorizing a name and an address in order to be more believable isn't something difficult to do if so desired.

As for the rest, yes a thief may not know if the registration is or is not in the car until he/she enters it. So what? The idea isn't to prevent the attempt, it's that if the thief for some reason after taking  your car gets pulled over by the police, he/she can't talk their way out of it and that the felon be detained on the spot and the car recovered. As I said, it's a small detail, but I for one do take the car documents with me on occasion, like when I leave the car in an unguarded parking spot on the street. I even do take the documents out when I leave the car at the mechanic shop or car wash if I don't want or expect them to have to move the car  on  public roads. It's not like it were a high chance that someone would take my car for a joy ride or whatever, but why give that possibility any chance of happening when the only thing I have to do to almost ensure I will avoid that is take the car documents with me when I leave?

Last edited by Augur (2019-04-25 04:12:28)

#1116 2019-04-25 04:57:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, there is NOWHERE in the United States of America that a "random stop" is allowed without cause.  It's a violation of our Constitutional rights.  Police must have probable cause to pull you over.  Now, yes, they can certainly invent one if they so desire, but as I said previously, most cops have enough to do without inventing more work for themselves, so unless you're actually doing something they deem suspicious, they're not going to just randomly say, "Yeah, I'm pulling over THAT one."  Anyone who has told you otherwise was either lying or misinformed.  The Fourth Amendment prevents illegal search and seizure, and a police officer pulling you over without an actual reason to do so, is committing illegal search and seizure.

If the police want to do a "random" test for DUI, they set up a checkpoint, which stops EVERYONE.  Then they test those they think are exhibiting symptoms.  This isn't really what you'd call random.

Now, back to the original point *I* was trying to make:  Once your car has left your possession, it's been stolen.  My question was how taking your registration out prevents it from being stolen.  You answered me: it doesn't.  What you're hoping for is that the thief is caught in possession of your car through some kind of traffic stop.  Sadly, at least here, that is not the common outcome for a stolen vehicle.  They are generally found after being either stripped bare, or totaled from a joyride... if they're found at all.

Oh, and yes, I know the world consists of more than the US, but the poster of the original comment that started this thread lives in the United States, which means that the US was the only relevant jurisdiction.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1117 2019-04-25 12:57:13

Augur
Wasted

Eric, you shouldn´t be so quick to argue something you clearly don´t know for sure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_checkpoint
"
The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution states that: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.�  This fundamental right has a tense relationship with sobriety checkpoints. At a sobriety checkpoint, drivers are necessarily stopped without reasonable suspicion, and may be asked to be tested summarily and without probable cause. Thus the Constitution would prohibit people from being stopped without a search warrant or at least without reasonable suspicion that they have committed a crime; however, the warrant requirement only attaches should the search be unreasonable and the US Supreme Court, as shown below, decided that such stops are not unreasonable under certain circumstances."

"Jurisdictions that allow sobriety checkpoints often carve out specific exceptions to their normal civil protections, in order to allow sobriety checkpoints. Although the U.S. Supreme Court has found sobriety checkpoints to be constitutionally permissible, ten states (Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming) have found that sobriety roadblocks violate their own state constitutions or have outlawed them. One other state (Alaska) does not use checkpoints even though it has not made them illegal.[19] Montana uses checkpoints frequently.[20] Some states combine their efforts in setting up sobriety checkpoint initiatives, such as Checkpoint Strikeforce, jointly run by Virginia, Washington, D.C., Delaware, West Virginia, and Maryland.[21]"

So if the US has 50 states, then 50 - 10 states that prohibit sobriety checkpoints, - 1 Alaska that doesn´t use them, then random checks/sobriety checkpoints can and ARE used in the US at least in 39 states. It´s a random check and that´s actually how it´s called in law.

That´s your interpretation of my words, I have always been clear why taking the documents with you can help against such a crime (as in giving another opportunity for you to recover that car before it is totaled, or stripped for parts). In other words, possibly protecting you from the crime, or more precisely from the possible consequences of it (loosing you car). It´s just an additional security measure that may or may not work, but may actually help if you are a victim of such a crime. And again, the world is much much larger than the US and in other jurisdictions random stops, checkpoints and such are even more frequently used. For example half the time on my local road to the closest big city police have a checkpoint where they randomly stop drivers to check their documentation. Sometimes they stop most (not necessarily all) motorcycle drivers, others they check most lorries and cargo vehicles, sometimes they focus on drivers of regular cars. Whatever suits their fancy, or orders that day.

Possibly, but your argument was fallacious and that was what all of this was about:
"
In order for the police to BELIEVE the vehicle was stolen, the keys you've left in the ignition will need to include your house keys.  By law, your vehicle registration will be in the glove compartment - this will have your address on it.

You have now given whoever DOES find the vehicle, a way into your home.
"
First, your home keys don´t need to be joined with the car keys. I for example have two separate keyrings. One is for the car key, and the other for all other keys I use. I actually have a third key that I do keep in the car which is the key for the front gate of my farm, among some random keys that don´t open anything anymore. So sorry, car keys don´t need to include home keys. And second your car registration/documents aren´t required by law to be in the glove compartment.

Third you have argued that randoms checks aren´t allowed in the US, I have clearly showed to you they are allowed and are actually used, just may be in a bit more restricted way than in other countries.

In the end, my argument was based on that you don´t necessarily need to keep neither your home keys on your car key ring, nor the car registration in your car and gave you valid reasons for someone not to do so. I even gave you an example of it, myself, although I know plenty of people that are used to doing these things my way, or actually in different ways than either you or me on this particular subject. But believe whatever you want, Eric.

Last edited by Augur (2019-04-25 12:59:45)

#1118 2019-04-25 15:30:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*sigh*  You might notice, in my last message, I MENTIONED DUI CHECKPOINTS.  But this is not truly a random process: they stop virtually everyone who passes such a checkpoint.   The "random" nature of this kind of checkpoint is actually in the where and when it is put up: they still stop pretty much everybody.  However, because these checkpoints are put up at predictable times and locations (to maximize their effect, they are best utilized at specific times and places), a thief - or anyone else committing a crime they can think through - can easily avoid them by simply not traveling through the places that police would put checkpoints.

What I said was that a police officer cannot randomly pull you over.  He can't.  A checkpoint is a roadblock: you're not being pulled over, you're just being barred from moving forward.   You are not, in other words, being singled out randomly: your behavior dictated you were going to be stopped, by going down that particular road at that particular time.  I'd also like to point out that, the one time I've been through such a checkpoint, we were NOT asked for vehicle registration.  I don't even remember if Keeshaba was asked to show her license.  LOTS of vehicles to get through such a checkpoint, and they're not looking for thieves, they're looking for drunks.

Ultimately, what your argument was based on was NON-US experience.  Since the original poster lives in the US, your experience doesn't apply.  No, your car keys don't NEED to include your house key, but in the US, they do > 90% of the time.  Your registration doesn't NEED to be kept in the vehicle when it's not in use, but again, in the US, it is > 90% of the time.  For EITHER of these things to NOT be true invites the police to question the circumstances of the "crime".  Since the "crime" in the original scenario was a fake, you would not want to invite scrutiny by the police department, so you would need to look "normal".  Normal means your registration's in the glovebox, and your house key is with your car key.

You can argue all you like that it's not done this way by YOU, or by people in Kosovo, Argentina, or Namibia, all you like.  In the US, these are the common behaviors, and if you're trying to fabricate a believable situation, then you follow the common behaviors.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1119 2019-04-25 19:26:57

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I know we were talking about your van, and you finally selling it.  Congratulations on that by the way.  But why has it devolved into a conversation on potentially illegal activity, including insurance fraud?

Anyway, just wondering if we can get back to letting us know when we might see the next chapter?

#1120 2019-04-25 19:39:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Go back and read.  Another user posted about a similar situation with their own vehicle, and then a third user suggested the insurance fraud and filing a false police report... and we went from there.  3dsmile

Hey, if this thread didn't have side-topics, it'd have no posts at all!  3dbig_smile

I haven't started WAY8-3 yet.  I'm actually working on AoC Chapter 6 at the moment, because I felt it would be good to take a break from WAY briefly, to keep from getting burnt out on it again.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1121 2019-04-25 23:24:30

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I read through it Eric, I just don't see why it kept going.

AoC chapter 6 huh... that's cool.  I'm sure we can all wait a while longer.  Just glad to hear your working on something.  We don't want you to get burned out.  (looks over shoulder to see if the angel or devil is sitting there)... ok, we're cool for now.  3dangel

#1122 2019-05-02 04:47:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for May 2, 2019:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 3: August has been started.

Don't get too excited: my focus is still on AC chapter 6.  I just had this starting scene in my head that I wanted to get written down before it evaporated on me.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1123 2019-05-08 17:33:29

Tuzzdeny
Inebriated

I am looking forward to a new chapter of AoC!

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for May 2, 2019:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 3: August has been started.

Don't get too excited: my focus is still on AC chapter 6.  I just had this starting scene in my head that I wanted to get written down before it evaporated on me.

Eric Storm

Even at the "cost" of a delay on The Woodward Academy, Year 8 , just please don't make it too long a delay.

#1124 2019-05-08 17:47:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No problem.  Six... seven years, tops.

misch_smiley

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1125 2019-05-08 22:30:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I hate doctors.

So, I had to go to the rheumatologist today. I described some random pains I was having to my GP, and she thought it might be auto-immune problems, so did some bloodwork, which showed there is definitely "an issue". So she sent me to the rheumatologist (which is the doctor who deals with auto-immune issues).

So, first, I have to get there. I live in New Port Richey. The rheumatologist's office is in Tarpon Springs, which is in a whole different county. (Granted, it's the county right next door, but still.) My insurance has a transport service for those of us who can't drive... but it turns out that "transport service" is merely a contract with a local cab company. My driver was 25 minutes late picking me up, and we were nearly late to the appointment.

So, fork over my co-pay, go in and see the doctor. Now, I had my lab results in my phone, because I'd been warned: though they were supposed to be, they might not get sent over with the authorization.

Well, they weren't. Good thing I had my copy.

So, I talk to the doctor, explain the pains to him, show him my lab results. He asks me some questions, has me hold my arms and legs in certain postures, looks in my mouth, listens to my lungs, has the nurse give me a blow... oops, wait, that was that story I'm working on... forget that part... 3dbig_smile

What does he tell me? He said that if the pains I'm experiencing, which I've had for over a decade, were lupus... I'd be dead already, because untreated lupus in a male is far more aggressive than that.

Beyond that, he had no clue what the hell the pains were from. He suggested a lab in California that does "extensive" auto-immune blood testing... I'm not sure my insurance is gonna like that idea. Otherwise, he basically said, "Come back when you have some symptoms."

So. Grrr. Now, I get to go home. Simple, right? Just call and tell them I'm ready.

No, not simple. Well, simple, but highly annoying. What no one ever told me was that, when you do a "will call" for pickup on the return leg of your journey, it will take up to AN HOUR for you to be picked up. (And it did. It took about 50 minutes for the cab to arrive.)

So I'm home, and just as uninformed as I was when I started. Well, okay, that's not entirely true. I described another problem to him, which I actually thought was a gastrointestinal problem (but my gastroenterologist is an asshole and didn't want to listen to me the other day). The rheumatologist thinks I might have a hiatal hernia, and so should have a CT scan. WHEE.

Have I mentioned, I hate doctors?

----
Facebook page

Board footer