The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1701 2021-01-31 03:52:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Put bluntly, it's not.  I'm stuck on a scene, and since it's the first scene of the chapter, the chapter's going nowhere.

Since it's been brought up, I guess there's no harm in asking you guys if you have any ideas.

The scene is with Mel and Nick.  I want them to go on a date, but... they can't actually be seen dating, given that she's married, and he's fifteen.  As such, it's tricky, and I haven't come up with a good scenario.  And until I do, the story will remain stuck.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1702 2021-02-01 02:47:27

ChiefRock
Wasted

Well the date would need to be out of town. What kind of scenario might crop up to take Nick out of town? then he might invite mel to go along for some reason? Really would be nice if the reason was to collect info on her husband or his lover? Another reason might be something to do with his dad? Could you develop some talent of mels to aid in any of nicks plans?

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#1703 2021-02-01 07:16:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock wrote:

Well the date would need to be out of town.

...Think about this statement carefully for a long moment.  Let the ramifications of it sink in.  Two people, who officially do not even know each other more than to say hello, suddenly go on an out-of-town trip together.  Keep in mind, Nick doesn't drive, so they would have to go together.

And you don't think this is going to look suspicious?

What kind of scenario might crop up to take Nick out of town? then he might invite mel to go along for some reason?

What reason would Nick have to invite along someone that he doesn't know to do anything?  Remember, they officially do not know each other on any kind of personal level.

Really would be nice if the reason was to collect info on her husband or his lover?

Both of those people obviously live in town...

Another reason might be something to do with his dad? Could you develop some talent of mels to aid in any of nicks plans?

Again, the question comes up of, why would Nick ask anything of this person?  He (publicly) doesn't know her.  They have officially met once, at a party where he was a waiter.  Yes, he was seen hugging her, to comfort her after a fight with her husband.  But that would be seen as, "he was there, he's a nice kid, he wanted to help".  It would not be considered grounds for further contact.

This is why I'm stuck:  They can't really be seen together without coming up with some kind of reason for them to be seen together... and there's really no logical reason for them to be seen together.  Mel is a housewife with no skills; this has already been established.  She might have a hobby that could help Nick, but I have no clue what it might be... and see no way in which it would relate to them going on a date.

I'm trying very hard to avoid the "Nick just takes her back to his apartment to watch a movie and get laid" scenario, but that is, unfortunately, the only thing I've come up with that actually "works", so far.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1704 2021-02-01 16:44:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for February 1, 2021:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 10: March, has been made public.

WBR-2 is moving along slowly.  Misfits has seen a fair amount of addition since last mention.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1705 2021-02-09 13:19:05

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

What about taking her to a movie? Fairly anonymous, doubtful if anyone would really notice them, and they can play a bit in the theater...

#1706 2021-02-09 18:22:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You know, that's the best option that's been come up with, but my worry is that there's still all that time you spend in the theater lobby (getting tickets, getting snacks) where they would be seen and perhaps noticed.  Maybe if they arrived separately...  Hmmm.  I might be able to make that work...  Thanks!

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1707 2021-02-11 12:01:41

iskoaya
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

You know, that's the best option that's been come up with, but my worry is that there's still all that time you spend in the theater lobby (getting tickets, getting snacks) where they would be seen and perhaps noticed.  Maybe if they arrived separately...  Hmmm.  I might be able to make that work...  Thanks!

Eric Storm

most theaters today have assigned seating due to powered recliners. simply have them buy tickets next to each other... they can even fool around in the dark.

#1708 2021-02-11 16:33:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The only problem I can see with that plan is, unless the theater is full, why would you choose a seat right next to someone you don't know?  (Goes back to looking suspicious)

Also, a quick look on AMC's website suggests that reserved seating and recliners are features of large-market theaters only.  Richville (the town in the story) wouldn't qualify as that...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1709 2021-02-22 01:08:41

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric on  AOC have you considered bypassing the scene you want right now then coming back to it later? is there any other action that could move this? I have heard that sometimes storys can help write themselves as characters develop. one possible thing here is as he matures it becomes less of an issue. I know as an author you may not want this to happen just an idea

#1710 2021-02-22 02:11:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Given that the story is about Nick having sex with women... how would "something else" be able to move this storyline along?

And as to waiting until Nick "matures", the problem is the law, not the character.  These two people having sex is illegal.  That situation won't change for another year of story time.  What am I supposed to do, hold off on these two getting together for another year?

The problem I'm facing with these two characters isn't going to go away by ignoring it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1711 2021-02-22 04:33:09

ChiefRock
Wasted

I already know this idea is going nowhere but explaining myself--I did not say nick has no sex with women just not this woman at this time--Going on to another woman might allow not the law but the storyline to change to where what you want could happen. I was just trying to help

#1712 2021-02-22 08:37:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I appreciate that you were trying to help.  I was merely telling you in what way your suggestion didn't seem to work... which gave you an opportunity to further explain yourself, which you did... which gives me the opportunity to further explain myself, which I'm about to do, which might give you the opportunity to...  do you see where this is going?  This is how this process works, when it works.  Too many people take my objections to their ideas as a stopping point, rather than an opportunity for discussion.

In this specific case:  Advancing Mel's storyline at this point in time is necessary.  The overall plot requires Nick and Mel to progress their relationship, because of people she will then introduce Nick to.

I can almost hear people asking, "If she's going to be so open about knowing Nick that she introduces him to other people, how is this date thing a problem?"  It's a matter of admitting things publicly, versus admitting things privately.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1713 2021-02-22 15:27:39

ChiefRock
Wasted

OK then lets list obstacles for our objective. Public opinion and the law I would suppose are first. Law is insoluble but nicks ability should allow him to not be arrested. Would getting rid of mels husband or better yet compromising him help with public opinion?

I assume the sneaking around is out due to something in your outline? you seemed to think it would not work because of logistics.
I frankly do not see a way to have a public date unless they get away from anyone who knows them. Is that what needs to happen? figure out how they could get out of town?

#1714 2021-02-22 17:06:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"Public opinion" boils back down to the law.  People see them together, acting like a couple, and they get suspicious, which leads to people looking more closely at things.

While, yes, Nick could "control" the police to avoid arrest, that, too, would be noticed and commented upon, bringing even more scrutiny on Nick, who is already in the public eye for being the spokesperson of a new and revolutionary technology company.  The symbiont's ability isn't a cure-all: Nick still has to be circumspect about what he does.

Ultimately, you're right.  They cannot be seen "dating".  Any public engagement between them, at least for now, needs to be seen as coincidence.

I had actually already decided on the going-to-the-movies scenario mentioned several posts back, where they arrive separately, and "randomly encounter" each other at the theater.  So long as no one over-acts the part, this is perfectly believable.

We'd gone through the "out of town" ideas previously.  The problem with it is that there is no reason for them to go out of town together... and Nick has no reliable way to get out of town without her, as he doesn't drive, so they couldn't, say, meet up in Summit Hill.  (Yes, he could take a bus... I said reliable.)

The other problem with them going out of town is that it doesn't give them a ready place to get intimate at the end of the date.  In town, they have Nick's apartment.  It wouldn't be unexpected that Mel would give Nick a ride "home" from the theater.  (Take it from someone who cannot drive: getting offers of rides from people is very commonplace, even if you don't know them that well.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1715 2021-02-22 23:18:44

ChiefRock
Wasted

I still like the out of town scenario. Agreed it might be insoluble as to a reason and the logistics. I am going to try to come up with something new if I can Other than that though I got nothing except let him get say a year older And that is not going to work because if you are not writing he is not aging

#1716 2021-02-23 01:20:38

dude8
Inebriated

I dont know this meets the logistical requirements but...maybe it's helpful: How about an activity where they could have plausibly signed up for it separately but end up doing something together after arriving, something like both signing up for a cooking class that breaks the class down into groups, some logistics involved in making sure they end up in the same group, but he does have the ability to influence people's thoughts. Then the second half of the date takes place in private once the public activity ends for the night?

#1717 2021-02-23 08:36:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock wrote:

I am going to try to come up with something new if I can

Go for it.  You've got a few days, at least.

dude8 wrote:

I dont know this meets the logistical requirements but...maybe it's helpful: How about an activity where they could have plausibly signed up for it separately but end up doing something together after arriving, something like both signing up for a cooking class that breaks the class down into groups, some logistics involved in making sure they end up in the same group, but he does have the ability to influence people's thoughts.

Well, the problem here is simply that you're no longer talking about something that could in any way be called a "date".  Being in the same place, doing the same thing, isn't a date.  The thing with the scenario I have right now (the movie), is that, once the lights are dimmed, they can do things like hold hands or even more, without being noticed.  It's still a "date", it's just the way they get to the date that's odd.  What you're suggesting is just a "shared activity".  There'd be no ability for them to interact intimately... or even in a truly friendly fashion.  Actually, I can foresee this being a rather stressful thing to do; they would have to act like they don't know each other, because others would be observing their behavior.

The one idea your suggestion did trigger, but I'm not sure it makes sense, would be some kind of dance class, where Nick could make sure they were partnered... but the logical part of me says that, if you're learning a partnered dance, they would probably make you sign up with a partner to begin with.

Of course, there's the added issue of, unless it was a one-time class, Nick would have just committed to taking up more of his time with whatever this class was.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1718 2021-02-23 14:59:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for February 23, 2021:

Where the Brontosaurs Roam, Chapter 2, has been finished, and is with the reviewers.  There is a chance, though I don't know how good, that it may be posted on March 1, but I make no promises.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1719 2021-02-23 23:31:49

dude8
Inebriated

To continue your train of thought, if the dance class was attached to something...more ephemeral, a cultural event of the month or something, and was a one-off/beginner/intro class, perhaps it would have more open ended signups (i.e. not couples), and maybe have multiple instances of a 'beginner' type class that week (i.e. small class size because it's the same beginner class multiple times that week), with no real expectation to continue.

Best of luck coming up with ideas!

Last edited by dude8 (2021-02-23 23:32:21)

#1720 2021-02-24 05:17:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmm.  An interesting thought.

As Christmas is coming up (the story currently sits at the week before Thanksgiving), perhaps the dance class is in preparation for some kind of Christmas festival, where dancing is part of the festivities, and this dance class is to teach you the dance(s) that occur at the festival.

There would be several of these classes, to accommodate people's schedules, and for that same reason, they wouldn't require couples.  (Really, all the dance teacher would have to have is one assistant, who could dance with the unpaired student.  Although I admit guys would almost universally feel awkward about having to dance with another guy if the class was unbalanced in gender...)

Hmmm.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1721 2021-02-24 05:42:43

ChiefRock
Wasted

Yes eric spontaneous--it does not have to be premeditated. Nick and mel through different reasons can both be involved in some activity--dance would work-- out of town--once there they could easily arrange a movie, or meal that could be loosely be construed as a date then ummm get together at either ones room

#1722 2021-02-24 08:32:51

dude8
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Hmm.  An interesting thought.

As Christmas is coming up (the story currently sits at the week before Thanksgiving), perhaps the dance class is in preparation for some kind of Christmas festival, where dancing is part of the festivities, and this dance class is to teach you the dance(s) that occur at the festival.

There would be several of these classes, to accommodate people's schedules, and for that same reason, they wouldn't require couples.  (Really, all the dance teacher would have to have is one assistant, who could dance with the unpaired student.  Although I admit guys would almost universally feel awkward about having to dance with another guy if the class was unbalanced in gender...)

Hmmm.

Eric Storm

Hey, I'd buy that 3dsmile

#1723 2021-02-24 09:30:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock wrote:

Yes eric spontaneous--it does not have to be premeditated. Nick and mel through different reasons can both be involved in some activity--dance would work-- out of town--once there they could easily arrange a movie, or meal that could be loosely be construed as a date then ummm get together at either ones room

You are amazingly fixated on the idea of them going out of town, despite having been told repeatedly why it's not feasible.  (That is, travel for Nick would be problematic, and they would have nowhere to be intimate at the end of their time together, plus no real reason for either of them to go out of town to begin with.)

Setting that aside, the idea that they would meet at this dance class accidentally is beyond the bounds of reason.  Two people, who are trying to find time to be together, just happen to select the same dance class, out of perhaps dozens of class times... out of perhaps several different instructors...  It stretches "coincidence" well beyond the breaking point.  And it's simply not necessary; the two can simply coordinate, and sign up for the same class, to allow them time to be together.  They arrive separately, Nick makes sure they end up as partners, and voila!  Hiding your relationship in plain sight.

Eric Storm

PS:  If you can capitalize Nick's name, you can capitalize mine!  3dtongue

----
Facebook page

#1724 2021-02-24 20:30:24

ChiefRock
Wasted

No offense meant or intended. I haven't had my spelling graded in a very long time. Yes I guess I am fixated on the out of town, mainly because I cannot see any safe way for this date to occur in town. I guess for now I will drop it and see what you come up with Eric

#1725 2021-02-25 02:45:27

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

An idea: If I wanted to take a girl out badly enough, and if I had the resources that Nick has, not just whatever money he may have, but the large number of resourceful friends he has, a lot of whom owe him favors, I would find a way.

1) Rent a local house, AirBnB, for a weekend. Make sure the house has a garage or is rural, or both.
1A) Arrive in separate cars, preferably, with tinted windows and park in the garage. You don't get out of the car until the garage door is closed and you don't open the garage until you are in the car. No long nature walks on this trip.
2) Hire a chef, from out of town, to come to the house and make a magnificent dinner. The chef would leave, at least before the second guest arrived.
3) Make sure there is a large screen TV, the largest you can get, in the home, as well as a really comfortable couch for movie viewing after dinner.
4) Retire upstairs to the decked-out master bedroom/bathroom for a long bath or shower together and then a night spent wrapped up in satin or silk sheets on a huge king-sized bed.

You rent the house for the weekend, or even the week, more so people don't ask questions. Doesn't mean they have to stay there all weekend. They have a nice dinner, watch a movie, get some tickle time in and leave the next morning in separate cars.

Board footer