The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-13 05:27:12

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Comments on Round Robin #1

This will be the thread for people who would just like to comment on the progression of the round robin without contributing more text to the story.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#2 2007-03-13 06:15:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Comments on Round Robin #1

Eventually, I'll install the COMPOSITE novel feature.  Until then, this is a good way to get your feet wet in writing...

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-03-13 18:33:19

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

To help things along I figured I would propose a potential story arc.

There are two rival families that run Grimm city and the surrounding forest.  On one side you have the Hoods heading up by the Matriarch known to everyone as Gran.  Lupine has been her lieutenant and sometime lover for years after her husband was killed.  He sees to the day to day operations of Gran's organization.  Gran has raised her twin grandchildren Tommy and Red since their parent's were killed in the same hit that killed her husband.

Tommy when he was old enough was quick to join the family business but recently has started to question where Gran is going with things and wants to get out.  His sister Red wants nothing to with what her family is involved with but can't get totally free.

When she was away at University she met and fell in love with the daughter of her families rivals the Bears.  Goldie Bear feels much the same as Red Hood but neither young woman has found the courage to tell their elders about their feelings fearing it would only escalate the tensions.

A third player has recently started to make her presence felt in the happening of Grimm city.  Everyone knew she was involved with the disappearance of two siblings named Hansel and Grettle but nothing can be proven.  She uses her dark magic to instill fear in those that oppose her.

The Hood and Bear families soon find they must set aside their personal differences and work together to stop the evil witch.  Can Red and Goldie finally come out into the open or could their affair shatter the brittle truce between their two families?

Do with this as you will laugh and call it stupid modify it or ignore it I don't mind.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#4 2007-03-14 04:32:05

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

Wow you put a lot of though into that Storymaster.
So the basic theme seems to be 'fairytale mafia'. Maybe the 7 dwarfs could be hit men... each with a trade mark way to kill.

#5 2007-03-14 05:03:15

Imagineer
Wasted

I think each writer should add their own ideas to the story. Writing to a predefined story arc, or reading a story so told, isn't nearly as surprising (or IMHO interesting) as letting it unfold organically, one writer at a time.

#6 2007-03-14 05:26:19

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

The point of round robins as I understand them is not to conform to some sort of outline or theme but for each writer to find a way to take what has already been written and then twist it to go into the direction that pleases them most.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#7 2007-03-14 09:48:59

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I like it and, probably not too surprisingly, I WANT IN!!!!!!! 3dsmile

#8 2007-03-14 18:37:43

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Imagineer wrote:

I think each writer should add their own ideas to the story. Writing to a predefined story arc, or reading a story so told, isn't nearly as surprising (or IMHO interesting) as letting it unfold organically, one writer at a time.

Black Rose wrote:

The point of round robins as I understand them is not to conform to some sort of outline or theme but for each writer to find a way to take what has already been written and then twist it to go into the direction that pleases them most.

I agree and do not want nor expect anyone to conform to my vision of the story.  It was more intended as a suggestion if anyone was stumped on a direction to aim for.  I can see from the additions already made things are already starting to diverge.

I am looking forward to seeing where this ultimately goes.

NahtanoJ88 wrote:

Wow you put a lot of though into that Storymaster.

Just something about Black Rose's original post triggered me think of Little Red Riding Hood. I was then sitting at work waiting for a computer to complete some diagnostics and got thinking about it some more and came up with the scenario I posted.

NahtanoJ88 wrote:

So the basic theme seems to be 'fairytale mafia'. Maybe the 7 dwarfs could be hit men... each with a trade mark way to kill.

Pretty much.  I don't want to hi-jack the story so please don't feel like you have to continue that theme.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#9 2007-03-16 00:41:42

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Hooray!  I figured out how to make the story sticky!

Black Rose

#10 2007-03-17 16:03:42

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Hey Net,

Without having to do a total rewrite of the code for the front page would it be possible to put some sort of interactive notice into the 'Submissions since the Day of Your Last Visit' section or some place else to let people, that may not regularly visit the forums, know that this Round Robin is happening?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#11 2007-03-17 18:31:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not really.  The best I can do is post a news item about it.  That would keep the info on the front page until a new news item was posted, but that's about it.

If they don't visit the forum regularly, however, I highly doubt they're going to take the time to participate in said story, anyway...

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#12 2007-03-17 21:43:08

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I don't know, if they were interested in reading stories, any story, they might be willing to go read it if they don't regularly visit the forum.  I don't know if that would make them Participate at all, but it might make them read/browse a bit, which would be... erm... pretty much unnoticeable in the grand scheme of things unless they're inspired by the lack of commitment to contribute to the round robin.

Black Rose

#13 2007-03-26 05:27:46

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

What, did you people die or something?  Add more to the story already!

Black Rose

Board footer