The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-05-09 06:52:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Future Feature Requests

Yeah.... as soon as I have nothing more pressing than to render a few new images for a front page virtually no one sees more than once, I'll get right on that.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#52 2012-05-10 06:07:40

Kitsune
Inebriated

I think it would be nice if you added a option in the search to show only completed works

#53 2012-05-17 07:52:17

Kitsune
Inebriated

Another thing that i would love to see would be a Pm system

#54 2012-05-17 09:24:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sorry, but us Americans prefer Presidents and the Cabinet to Prime Ministers.

Oh... were you talking about something else?

3dangel

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#55 2012-05-17 09:35:19

Kitsune
Inebriated

Well i might be talking about that if i get a seat of power for coming up with the idea but if not then no i meant Personal messaging haha

#56 2016-11-09 07:06:46

Sniper
Inebriated

Maybe I am just too blind to see it, but it would be nice to have

- a list of all stories that I have already read (could also be included in the search)
- a list with all recommendations that I have made

#57 2016-11-09 08:17:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm willing to consider them, but can I ask why you think these lists would be useful?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#58 2016-11-09 15:30:46

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

As far as a list of what I have read here, the only reasons I can see it being useful is if I was to re-read them or if I was making recommendations on other sites to come here to read some of the stories that are really only available here.

As for the list of recommendations, for stories that are hosted only here, copy-paste to other discussion boards seems to be the best reason, but also when you compare this list to the first list, you can get an idea of what is outside your enjoyment, but you have read prior.

I can't think of any other reason to have these lists, Eric.

Last edited by Fenixreign (2016-11-09 15:33:00)

#59 2016-11-09 20:19:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

But if you want to re-read it, shouldn't you know where to find it?  (Or, if you expected to want to re-read it eventually, shouldn't you have put it in your Favorites list?)

The next version of the site will have "auto-bookmarking" (that is, it will automatically keep track of your spot within a book).  Thus, in the new version, you could simply ask for the list of Bookmarked items to handle the "what have I read?" question.

As to things that you've already given an opinion on... Again, it seems like adding those that you enjoyed to your Favorites list makes more sense...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#60 2016-11-10 06:49:34

Sniper
Inebriated

Over the last couple months I have read a lot of stories on this site. Up to the point, where I am starting to mix those up. But this is most likely just due to my miserable memory. Maybe you are right and I should just go through the full stories list and mark the good ones as favorites.

#61 2017-03-13 20:37:12

ChiefRock
Wasted

I have another problem in that I like almost all of your stories. a list of my favorites would read like a table of contents

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#62 2017-03-13 21:46:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay... so... what's the feature request here???

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#63 2017-03-13 22:08:48

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Okay... so... what's the feature request here???

Eric Storm

I am sorry Eric I have no request. I am perfectly happy with the way things are set up. I was commenting on the last discussion and the fact me listing my favorites would just be copying your table of contents

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#64 2018-02-26 04:19:49

Crusader
Wasted

Top 10 list of users based on total historical donations.

#65 2018-02-26 09:09:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That cannot happen for privacy reasons.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#66 2019-02-14 04:28:48

Jim Divan
Tipsy

I would like to see a list of stories sorted by last update.  There is a list of new stories on the front page of the site, but that is not always good enough.  For example, I logged in earlier today and saw some interesting new stories had been posted.  Unfortunately, I had to log off and leave before I had a chance to look through all of them.  Now the list on the front page is empty and I don't have a way to find the new stories again.

The only thing I have been able to find is the "Browse Stories" option, which is strictly alphabetic, or the search, which doesn't have a date option.  Either of those would be useful if a date option was added.  The browse could have an option to sort by last update and the search could have an option to show stories that have been updated since a given date or between two dates.

#67 2019-05-24 18:44:14

Freon22
Wasted

A cool feature would be if you added a + and - button so you could increase or decrease the font size. You would not have to save the font size in the database. Just make it for the life of the page, so when you move to the next chapter the user would have to set the font size again.

I see you are setting the font size in your span tag (<span style='font-size:12.0pt;line-height:200%;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>) so I guess you could use a span id='fontsize' that way you can change the font size for all span with an id of fontsize in the head.

Sorry your the coder not me lol, anyway would be a cool feature and people with older eyes would like it for easier reading.

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#68 2019-05-25 01:11:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you're seeing a font-size coded directly into a file, it's because of the damned word processor programs that can't figure out how to properly convert to HTML.  (Clue:  They all universally suck at it.)

You do realize, though, that it is possible to increase the text size directly from your browser...

But I will keep this in mind if I ever manage to get the new site moving.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#69 2019-05-25 15:44:40

Blackie
Inebriated

Generally the font size selected in Word or LibreWriter will turn up in the html file and show up as "font-size: 99pt" where '99' was the size used when in word or librewriter. A plain text editor will allow the person posting to remove that, but since browzers do allow a zoom in or zoom out on their own, I'm not sure I see that Eric should need to add a font enlarging feature himself.

Code:

<style type="text/css">
        @page { margin: 0.79in }
        p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: #000000; line-height: 120%; text-align: left; orphans: 0; widows: 0 }
        p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt }
        p.cjk { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; so-language: hi-IN }
        p.ctl { font-family: "Liberation Serif"; font-size: 12pt; so-language: en-US }
    </style>

-Himself

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -Randy K. Milholland

#70 2019-05-25 17:14:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, I actually understand what he's saying.  He'd like the setting to carry across page changes, rather than having to keep setting it.  I was just giving him an option until the new site can handle such things.  I would also point out, at least on desktop browsers, you can use a browser extension that will allow you to set a default zoom level for each website you visit.  This would, of course, affect the ENTIRE site, not just the story text.  But it also lets you set a different zoom for each site, rather than having a single zoom for your entire browsing session.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#71 2019-05-27 06:12:06

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I could almost swear I posted a reply here about changing the font size on the browser itself...but I guess I forgot to hit "submit"

I use Firefox and you can make the font bigger by holding the CTRL key and clicking on the + key......yes I know Eric posted the same thing, but I just had to get it out of my head for some reason. I also stated that I have no idea how to write code so the little hacks (like CTRL +) are what I use. I have mine set now at 120% and the browser stays that way every time I open it.

#72 2022-06-10 17:57:09

bleme
Inebriated

Is there a way to see recent stories posted instead of the default "Since your last login"?
Maybe going back 3 months?

Last edited by bleme (2022-06-10 22:19:54)

#73 2022-06-11 00:28:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not currently.  Why, exactly, would you want such a thing?  3dsmile

I'll put it on the list of search options for the next site version.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#74 2022-06-14 19:23:23

bleme
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Not currently.  Why, exactly, would you want such a thing?  3dsmile

I'll put it on the list of search options for the next site version.

Eric Storm

I hadn't been on the site in several months when I logged in the other day.  There were a bunch of stories that looked good but I decided to start with catching up on Agent of Change.  When I logged in the next day, there were NONE lol!  I can log out and get the last 7 days at least but I want to know what else I missed.

#75 2022-06-14 23:07:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, you know the solution to that problem.  Visit more regularly, and then you won't have a long list of new things to worry about!

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer