Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#976 2019-02-01 17:30:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Okay, in order:

* No, I haven't really been writing anything lately.  Though I'm past the major stress of the hearing, I just haven't been able to get my muse in gear.

* I don't have "proofreaders".  I have "reviewers".  The difference is in what they're looking for.  A proofreader is checking mechanics (spelling, punctuation, grammar).  A reviewer is checking story content.  If you wish to become a reviewer, then you should submit to me (via email) a review of the last thing you read of mine.  Reviews are intended to contain: what you liked about the chapter, what you didn't like about the chapter, things that confused you, any questions that may have arisen because of the chapter, and any ideas you might have for the continuation of the story.

* I don't do a whole lot of reading, but I'll keep your recommendations in mind for the future.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#977 2019-02-02 00:56:34

sacketts86
Inebriated

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished the 1st alpha book and loved it. I'm glad my shipper kept me delayed

Wish I'd of caught that there are 8 books in the series not 6 like i assumed, adding another storyline to wait on😥

Last edited by sacketts86 (2019-02-03 20:28:59)

#978 2019-02-05 14:35:20

neolyn
Wasted

Wait. What?

You accept reviews ?

#979 2019-02-05 18:35:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have had a review team for most of my writing career.  These are people who more closely discuss my stories with me, who read chapters as soon as they're finished, looking for errors, story problems, or possible improvements.  They discuss in detail their own ideas for story advancement, many of which have been stolen... er, I mean thoughtfully incorporated into my stories.  3dangel

The drawback, of course, is that they're actually required to give a review, and do so within a specific timeframe.  I grade my reviewers (no, they don't get to see their grade).  I have fired a great many of them over the years for substandard review-ery.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#980 2019-02-06 23:15:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Folks, I need to let you all know what's going on.

Currently, Keeshaba is in the hospital.  It is unknown whether she will come out.

As I mentioned, last week, she and I both contracted the flu.  It was a slightly nastier version than I'm used to, but it wasn't really horrible.  I am recovering, with just a remnant cough.

In Keeshaba's case, however, that is not what happened.  Her flu symptoms grew to overwhelm her, and on Saturday night/Sunday morning, we went to the ER.  (That's where we were diagnosed with Flu type A.  I say "we" because we obviously had the same illness.  She was the only one being diagnosed.)  She spent five and a half hours in the ER, getting IV fluids, some electrolytes, anti-nausea meds, and whatnot.  By the time she left, she wasn't feeling wonderful, but she was feeling a whole lot better than she had been.

This condition was not to last.  On Monday, she started to find it more difficult to breathe.  As we both had a cough, we wrote it off to that.  Her doctor wanted to see her on Tuesday, anyway, so there was little to do but let the flu run its course.

On Tuesday, we tried to cancel the appointment, because Keeshaba didn't feel well enough to drive.  The doctor insisted on seeing us, and actually sent a taxi to get us.  By the time we made it into the doctor's office, Keeshaba could barely talk, she was so out of it.  Her blood oxygen saturation level was 48%.  (No, that is NOT a typo.)  The doc gave her two nebulizer treatments, IV fluids, steroids and antibiotics.  She arranged for home oxygen, and sent us home and ordered us to return in the morning.

Last night, Keeshaba's blood saturation was even lower.  It dipped all the way down to 42%, and never got above 61%.  (For those unaware, anything below 92% is considered a problem.)  When we arrived at the doctor's office, after a very brief consultation among about five of the healthcare providers at our GP (it's a medical group), we were sent for a ride in the boxy taxi with the fancy lights on it (better known as an ambulance).

Keeshaba has been at the hospital since.  She has been diagnosed with advancing sepsis, which has led to ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome).  She was intubated, but its taking their machine at full pressure just to keep her blood saturation in "acceptable" levels.  They are medicating the hell out of her, but they do not know if that will work or not.

Their last resort would be to attempt to transfer her to Tampa General Hospital.  TGH has more and better equipment than our local hospital, but even if they'll take the case, it may not be enough.

I do not know the outcome of this tale yet.  All I know is that I've been up for 30 hours straight, I'm tired, and I'm very worried.

Thank you for listening,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#981 2019-02-06 23:31:46

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I'll keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.  I'm sure most of us will be hoping for the best.

#982 2019-02-07 00:15:16

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

My thoughts are with you as well - hoping for her recovery.  Please take care of yourself though, so that you are there for Keeshaba.

Too few people realize that the flu can either be fatal in itself, or open the body to opportunistic infections which can be, themselves, fatal. IOW - don't let it get the upper hand.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2019-02-07 00:18:28)

#983 2019-02-07 01:14:54

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Will keep you both in my thoughts. Hope things turn around quickly

#984 2019-02-07 06:12:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The shitty part is, darthel, that if they transfer her, I won't be able to be there for her.  I can't drive, which means I have no means to reach anywhere so far away.  She would be there alone.  (Of course, she would also be there unconscious, so she would not notice, but that's not really the point...)

Both Tampa General and the Largo hospital have rejected transfers, for whatever reason.  They are still waiting to hear back from Orlando and Gainesville.  As of midnight, her readings were stable... but then stable, when you're this bad, isn't really a good thing.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#985 2019-02-07 09:41:51

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Good God! In your case it doesn't just pour when it rains it typhoons. My prayers are with Keeshaba, and my worries are with you. Take care of yourself and I will be praying.

#986 2019-02-07 14:58:18

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric,

Even at this point, and even with everything that has happened, the fact that she has stabilised is a good thing.

Think of organ failures as a trail of dominos - once that first one falls over, they just continue to fall. That hospital has managed to put a block in the way of that toppling trail and, with time and support, now has a chance to set the ones which have fallen back upright.

A couple of years before she succumbed to pancreatic cancer, my other half went into diabetic sugar shock with a reading of 945 on the blood tester. Just for information, IIRC, personal testers stop registering at about 800 as once that point is reached, it's a slippery slide downhill from then on. Her organs had started failing as well, but they were able to sustain her long enough for the organs to start working again.

Hoping for Keeshaba's full recovery.

#987 2019-02-07 16:12:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update:

Keeshaba is being transferred to a hospital in Gainesville, to be put on a pulmonary bypass machine (technically called an ECMO machine).  This will allow her lungs to stop working altogether, so that they can have some time to heal.  From what I've read, you can only keep someone on this machine for a couple weeks, so hopefully that's long enough for the lungs to fix themselves.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#988 2019-02-08 00:17:01

adultswim3
Inebriated

Hey Eric. I'm so sorry. If the new hospital isn't a crazy distance, I may be able to help out with some taxi/uber money.

#989 2019-02-08 06:48:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While I sincerely appreciate the offer, Gainesville is 130 miles from here.  That would be a pretty hellacious taxi bill.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#990 2019-02-09 08:15:21

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Keeshaba. Hope everything turns out alright.

#991 2019-02-09 10:11:03

Archangel1962
Wasted

Though I'm not usually one with much sympathy I feel your pain all too well and hope the Keeshaba gets better soon.

BALLAD of The US Navy SEAL Teams
Im a lover, a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. Last of the bare-knuckle fighters.
No muff too tough, I dive for five, tuck, suck, fuck, nibble and chew.I dine and interwine, masturbate, ejaculate and copulate.Been around the world twice, and talked to everyone once. Seen two white whales fuck, and been to two pigmy picnics.Met a man from Nantucket with a marble head and wooden cock, and ladies, if you dont like my face you can sit on it.

#992 2019-02-10 00:26:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Keeshaba Update:

Not a lot to say.  Keeshaba is still in serious condition, but she is stable.  Yesterday, she had a bleed in her leg caused by one of the many lines inserted into her.  They put in a stent, and that problem is, for the moment, solved.  She is currently on dialysis - this is common for people on ECMO; sometimes their kidneys just can't keep up.  Other than that, she has shown neither improvement nor deterioration as of yet.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#993 2019-02-10 12:20:47

MDH1969
Inebriated

Damn, sorry to hear about Keeshaba.  My prayers are with you both and I hope she recovers.  The fact that she is stable is a good sign at least.

#994 2019-02-14 22:30:09

Augur
Wasted

Very sorry to hear what´s happening Eric.  Here hoping she will pull through.

#995 2019-02-16 21:09:02

Doc Spratley
Inebriated

Keep strong.  We are praying for you and Keeshaba up north.

#996 2019-02-17 16:27:00

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Hey Eric how's she doing?

Thoughts and prayers are going out daily from the house. Lord and Lady watch over you both.

Josh

#997 2019-02-17 17:36:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Keeshaba Update:

As of right now, Keeshaba is still on the ECMO machine, still on renal assistance, and still on the ventilator.  Over the weekend, they have been performing a process they call "recruitment".  It is a slow reduction in the level of support they are giving her, in an effort to get her lungs to start performing their function again.  This is in preparation for what they call "decannulation", which is the removal of the ECMO machine.

So far, recruitment seems to be going okay.  There have been some slight improvements to her blood gasses.  The numbers have not been good enough to necessarily be optimistic, but they are more encouraging than past days have been.

As of right now, the plan is to attempt decannulation tomorrow.  At that point, she would be off the ECMO machine, but still on the ventilator, and still receiving renal assistance.  At that point, we are in a waiting game to see what her blood gasses do.  If her lungs are able to pick back up and resume oxygenation, then there is hope for recovery.  If her blood gasses crash again, then... well, then things are bad.

Though signs are more encouraging than they were a couple days ago, the improvements have not yet been significant enough for us to be truly optimistic about the outcome.  And the results of decannulation could be evident within hours, or it could take days for her to crash again.  The only way we'll know for sure that it has worked is when she can breathe completely on her own.  There is no timeframe as to when that might happen.

Even if she does recover, her hospital stay could conceivably be months long.  It just depends on how long it takes her to recover both pulmonarily and neurologically from the trauma she's been put through.

My brother and I have already decided:  From now on, we're going to get our flu shots.  You might want to consider doing the same, especially if your health isn't the best.  While I recovered from my flu without serious issue... you just never know what can happen.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#998 2019-02-17 23:21:03

Mjollnir
Tipsy

Hoping and praying for the best.

Definitely a go on the flue shots.  As a diabetic, I've been getting them for years.

#999 2019-02-18 23:04:04

iccrmmkr
Inebriated

Why in the hell did they send her back home with blood oxygen level that low? She should have been hospitalized immediately. I will be praying for her and you. Take care and hopefully she will get better soon!

#1000 2019-02-19 03:49:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not going to second-guess her GP.  Her O2 levels in the dr's office had gotten up to 80%, so she probably felt that full O2 would be sufficient.  Keep in mind no one was expecting her to become septic.

As to today's procedure... she is still alive, but today did not go at all well.  I just got back from Gainesville, if that gives you any hints.

I will relate more later.  Right now, I'm just a little too drained.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer