The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-07-19 12:08:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Request for Comment: What comes next?

You'd actually accept a dinosaur story without a T. rex in it?  What are you, a communist?  3dtongue  hehehe

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#52 2020-07-19 14:00:02

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Well of the three that would change the characters that was the one I was most ok with. I would rather not see the T-Rex than not see Tim and family.  And I really dislike the idea replacing the other dinosaurs and acting like that was what was in first book. I would rather see an updated first book with the correct dinosaurs then a sequel if you wanted to change that much. Truthfully I only listed it as to be a third option(3 options seemed better than 2). I far more like options 1 and 4 than the rest.

#53 2020-07-19 16:32:49

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I vote for 1.

#54 2020-07-19 21:33:38

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

I agree with both thehilz and Jefferson

#55 2020-07-20 00:38:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so this problem has actually been resolved, by resolving ANOTHER problem I had, which was, given everything that got worked out in the first book, how would they get "stuck", anyway?  TimeTrippers had worked out ways to track the pod even if the beacon failed, so all they'd have to do is send back another pod to that timepoint, so that the team could get on and come home.

So, without going into detail, something will happen during the trip that will completely derail everything...

...and this story (if I choose to write it) will take place not in the Late Cretaceous (70 million years ago), but the Late Jurassic (150 million years ago).  To solve the "these dinosaurs don't live at the same time" problem, I would use only dinosaurs with fossils found in the Morrison Formation, all of which lived within the same few million years of time... and I'm willing to "fudge" that far.  (Trying to fudge the set of dinos from the first book means fudging to the tune of 10+ million years.)

So, thank you to those who gave opinions and ideas.  This particular problem has been resolved... and solved another problem in the bargain.  Thus, I do have a starting point for WMR-2.  What I don't have is an actual plot.  Until that happens, the book cannot be written.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#56 2020-07-20 00:53:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

PS:  For those who might be worried about not having heard of any of the dinosaurs from the ACTUAL Jurassic era, here are some of the dinosaur species that would be involved:

Allosaurus
Stegosaurus
Brontosaurus
Ornitholestes

Those are the four most widely known ones that would get used.  I have a list of about a dozen I'd be working with... plus a pterosaur, a crocodylian, and a couple mammals.

PPS:  In response to something TheHilz said... just to be clear, this version of the story WOULD involve Tim and his family.

----
Facebook page

#57 2020-07-21 01:39:27

Hakhazar
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

<snip>

So, my question to you is... what would you actually have me do?

1. Simply work with what I've already established, despite it being scientifically fucked...
2. Find replacements for the "invalid" dinosaurs, and just pretend that's what I talked about in book 1...
3. Go ahead and move the timeframe back, and replace Rexy with the time-appropriate equivalent...
4. Use hand-wavium and talk about how this isn't actually prehistoric EARTH, anyway, because time travel in the Maiasaurs universe involves alternate dimensions...
5. Make book 2 not a SEQUEL, but simply a second story about time travel to the dinosaur age...
6. Something else?....

Go ahead and chime in...

Eric Storm

5, with 3 (there are plenty of really cool apex predators other than T-Rex in those other times), then 4, 6, 1, and 2.

#58 2020-07-21 14:10:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, I went with 3, without 5.  Sorry.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#59 2020-07-22 22:49:52

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Sounds like you made a decision...?

#60 2020-07-22 23:18:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, but feel free to add your two cents if you'd like.

Still no decision on whether or not this story will be actually written, as I still don't have a plot.  All I have is a timeframe.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#61 2020-07-23 06:11:22

ChiefRock
Wasted

I personally would like a sequel to dinoville Cannot spell mausaurs. I hope though you do not give up on agent of change. I can be patient as long as there is hope of continuance

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#62 2020-07-23 10:32:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As a general rule, I don't abandon stories.  AC is a LONG way from being abandoned.  I am "stuck" on a scene at the moment, which is why it hasn't been continued.  Having said that, there isn't a strong push by my muse to work on AC, so its progress will probably be slowed.

And... you can spell "continuance", but you can't spell "Maiasaur"?  wtf????  I mean, it's not like I named it after saurornitholestes, or the daspletosaurus...  Sheesh.  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#63 2020-07-25 04:53:42

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

And... you can spell "continuance", but you can't spell "Maiasaur"?  wtf????  I mean, it's not like I named it after saurornitholestes, or the daspletosaurus...  Sheesh.  3dtongue

Eric Storm

ROFLMGDAO
couple that observation with the fact that it's just a C/P from the top of the conversation, and ...

#64 2020-07-25 05:28:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

In fairness, that WAS on a previous page...  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#65 2020-07-26 21:35:44

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I know the story has already found its timeline and such. I personally would have liked to see the beginning of the reign of the T-Rex.

My plot would be something along the lines of, they travel back and things are going fine, except another company went back at the same time to make it so they can’t return. Both crews get stuck and have to work together to return. All this while trying to raise the baby. Etc

The reason they went back was to document an accurate rise of the T-Rex, and its genus. Or maybe the transitional period between those times before and after.

The rival company is a smaller company of corrupt people wanting to become rich via time travel.

Last edited by Elessar (2020-07-26 21:36:14)

#66 2020-07-26 22:46:29

KaosKing
Inebriated

Definitely want ANYTHING that is Dugerra related. Woodward-verse has my love.

Wouldn't mind an alternate universe of CAMP where everything didn't fall to shit and we can have more stories involving a psionic world

#67 2020-07-27 03:00:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

KaosKing:

CAMP is DEAD.  There will be no future stories in that universe.  So many errors were made in the creation of that universe that it cannot be salvaged, and I'm not going to try.

Elessar:

Have I made any mention of there being another time travel company?  Don't you think it might have been mentioned in the first book if there was, when they started asking everyone and their brother for help?

And... why, exactly, would this notional other company wish to sabotage the trip?  What would that get them?  It wouldn't get them customers:  If the cause of the incident was never figured out, the entire time travel industry would be blamed.  If the cause was figured out, they would be blamed and probably criminally charged.

Also, sabotaging the pod would not be sufficient to strand the travelers.  If TimeTrippers had a solid track on the pod as it landed - and remember, they figured out how to do that while looking for the first group - they would just send back another pod to get them.  The pod has to be truly "lost" in timespace for them not to be immediately rescued.

Further... the "rise" of the T. rex?  T. rex was around for about 2 million years... In fact, Rexy didn't even exist at the timepoint I used in the first book, which was right at 70 million years.  T. Rex supposedly didn't come around until 68 million years ago.

However, the tyrannosaurids were around for 15 million years, starting about 81 million years ago... but that was mostly other dinosaur species.  T. rex didn't so much "rise" as "carry on the tradition".

And... even if it were feasible... what, exactly, would you show, that would be different from how T. rex appeared in the first book?  The "rise" of a species doesn't happen in a year or two... or a lifetime or two.  For T. rex to be prominent probably took like thousands of years.

But, ultimately, the point is that setting the story at "the start of T. rex" is putting it... exactly in the timeframe of book 1, so that's not really possible, without ignoring all the stuff I brought up originally.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#68 2020-07-28 03:48:55

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Sounds good mate.

Board footer