darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

Thanks for the clarification.

#602 2020-10-08 03:57:44

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

So who wants to place bets on where Bispy went off to? I'm thinking his clan to get David help... Perhaps a return of Bob?

#603 2020-10-08 05:05:41

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I was right with what would cause David to go full-dark and filled with rage even though I hadn't been able to narrow down just who the victim would be.
I have suspicions about where Bispy went, but don't want to post any spoilers (especially if they might end up covering my face in egg).
Remember that all pieces of the Primal Aegis are in David's possession.
Remember, as well, that David has been instructed in how to call that firebird.
Finally, remember that Eric has three more postings to finish this story -- that's a lot of story yet to tell.

#604 2020-10-08 09:44:07

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Bringing up elemandy, I was wondering why David or the weres haven't used teremandy in combat?  I think it would be very interesting if the ground under your close range opponents suddenly found themselves on the ground because the top half inch to inch of soil suddenly shifted under your feet.  Aquamandy was similarly used on snow in the past.

#605 2020-10-08 16:34:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Barbarian3165 wrote:

Bringing up elemandy, I was wondering why David or the weres haven't used teremandy in combat?  I think it would be very interesting if the ground under your close range opponents suddenly found themselves on the ground because the top half inch to inch of soil suddenly shifted under your feet.  Aquamandy was similarly used on snow in the past.

1. Very few elemanders are strong enough to do this on a grand scale (the kind of numbers that would matter).

2. Doing something this powerful would require the kind of concentration that would preclude you from moving.  Standing still on a battlefield is not a good idea.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#606 2020-10-09 05:03:35

ChiefRock
Wasted

IBSwimmin wrote:

So who wants to place bets on where Bispy went off to? I'm thinking his clan to get David help... Perhaps a return of Bob?

Bob, His mother, there clan. Also remember Dragons have been heavily involved with the primal ageis

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#607 2020-10-09 23:43:07

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Do you really have to manipulate a large area to garner an advantage.  Strategically, a one foot by six foot by a half inch strip of earth moved through a group of charging opponents (think swept either left or right) could trip up enough to cause a domino effect on those behind them.  You would move a relatively small amount of dirt over an area thought to aid your allies.  I get that you wouldn't be able to do this long term without exposing yourself, but using it to trip up ten or twenty opponents could lead to tripping two, three or more times as many as was done by the movement of the earth simply by them tripping over each other.  Your allies, would hopefully, take advantage of the situation it caused.

#608 2020-10-10 01:06:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so, you envision soldiers running all out toward their enemy, so fast they can't even stop before tripping over a guy that falls down in front of them.

WTF???? 

That is not how you fight a battle!!!

Until they've reached hand-to-hand range, soldiers fight from cover.  Movement forward is done carefully, to avoid getting hit by enemy fire

I'd also like to point out that what you originally suggested is not the concept you're proposing now.  You originally talked about the earth shifting beneath someone's feet.  Now you're talking about tripping people with a thin slab of dirt.  Such a slab would break every time it hit someone, unless you expended a tremendous amount of energy to prevent it.

You would manage to trip a few people with this tactic, but there would never be a "domino effect" from it.  And as soon as the tactic was detected, troops would simply stop moving forward, and fire from distance.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#609 2020-10-10 02:33:27

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric is right fighting with magic is even worse than machine guns and rapid fire spelled the death of in line marching battle lines long ago these fighters would be skirmishers and you will not break there advance with obstacles like tripping hazards. I can see how you would think so however

#610 2020-10-10 04:06:05

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I wish i had ANY skill at 3D animations... Making an animation for the upcoming battle would be awesome to do and see.

#611 2020-10-10 04:34:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*having knowledge both of 3d animation, and the scope of the coming battle, shudders violently at the render farm that would be required...*

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#612 2020-10-10 05:06:05

Phoenix Angel
Inebriated

I can understand his eagerness your stories keep us in suspense. Well done with all the books so far I have reread them many times while waiting for the next chapter. 

Eric Storm wrote:

I will.  In 28 days.  I have already said more than once: chapters will not be posted more than once a month.

Eric Storm

#613 2020-10-10 06:12:01

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

So, the long range dampening fields generated by the demons don't affect the weres?  If it does, wouldn't they need to charge into close combat where there shear numbers give them the advantage?

#614 2020-10-10 12:42:49

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Why charge when they can merely sneak around in their animal form and surprise attack.

#615 2020-10-10 14:00:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Whether or not you have an effective weapon against your enemy, only an idiot would run haphazardly toward an armed opponent.  A "dampening" field is not a removal field, and the strength, knowledge, and skill of your enemy is going to dictate just how far away you have to be for their spells not to reach you.  You run headlong into battle, you run the very real risk of stumbling right into someone's spell that has just enough range to fry you to a crisp.  Not to mention you run the risk of getting close to someone you didn't even know was there...

No, the only time you run like mad in a battle is when that is the very safest thing you can do, ie, you have no cover to hide behind and you're being shot at.  In pretty much every other scenario, running headlong toward your adversary is what is technically known, in military parlance, as "a bad idea."

As to whether or not the demons' dampening fields also affect the weres... the weres aren't reliant on ranged attacks, so it doesn't much matter.  Also, if you've been paying attention throughout the book, you'll notice that weres are not big on berserker charges.  They tend toward trickery and ambush, or simply waiting for the enemy to come to them.  And the Callamandian Army uses proper fighting tactics, which means approaching battle slowly, and using cover and concealment for as long as possible.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#616 2020-10-30 05:35:34

iocosa
Tipsy

Will there be a Woodward Academy year 9? Or will there be extra chapters for this year to finish the series?

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#617 2020-10-30 07:34:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Last page of the Writing Status Topic

I would suggest you read that for your answer... and answers to any other "when will it be released?" or "How many chapters will this have?" type questions.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#618 2020-10-30 07:46:37

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

iocosa wrote:

Will there be a Woodward Academy year 9? Or will there be extra chapters for this year to finish the series?

As it has been several months since he posted the following, I thought I’d track it down for him.

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for July 13, 2020:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 15, is finished, and is with the reviewers.

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, is finished.

The Woodward Academy series is finished.

#619 2020-10-30 18:59:43

iocosa
Tipsy

Thank you!

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#620 2020-10-31 06:26:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Timberwolf:

Did your mother never tell you "if you don't look it up yourself, you'll never learn it!" ???

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#621 2020-11-01 04:53:05

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

Am I losing it because after reading ch 11 again in preparation for the next chapter, i got a little misty in the eyes after you know who dies? (Don't want spoilers so I won't say name or gender)

#622 2020-11-01 05:28:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just means I'm an awesome writer.  3dsmile

Or that you're, you know, a wussy little crybaby.  ROFLMAO  I'll let you pick which you'd prefer to believe!

3dlol

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#623 2020-11-01 05:28:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

NOTE:

For anyone who may have gotten the accidentally uploaded Chapter 14:  Count your blessings, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, and download Chapter 13.

Eric Storm

PS:  Thank you to the individual who caught the error and reported it.

----
Facebook page

#624 2020-11-01 06:40:12

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

One issue, four letters - M.O.A.B.
Other than that, superb sculpting.

(posted from Chapter 13: May - Feral Moon)

#625 2020-11-01 07:10:23

ChiefRock
Wasted

Very Very good closure Eric The ragged ends are closing up and very well I saw the woodward end healing or at least closing up  I expected the weres to be defeated But the way you worked in several other items like the dragons the peaguses and the Ageius work out. Well eric all i can say is well done. Can we assume David has passed the point of condemnation since Bispy told him what to do?

(posted from Chapter 13: May - Feral Moon)

Board footer