You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-02 03:09:29

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

Boy and His Dungeon, A

A Boy and His Dungeon

background and introduction.  Not a lot happening, but it does get better

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2021-08-04 22:11:21

southpaw1430
Inebriated

Re: Boy and His Dungeon, A

Interesting.

(posted from In The Beginning)

#3 2021-08-05 15:32:07

Pleidius
Inebriated

southpaw1430 wrote:

Interesting.

(posted from In The Beginning)

Thank you
Hang onto your socks, it gets better

If you're prepared to face the consequences, go ahead . . .

#4 2021-08-08 23:03:57

Nightlock
Tipsy

Nice story love the ratio of actual story to sex.

(posted from What We Shall See)

#5 2021-08-12 02:08:34

Pleidius
Inebriated

A Boy and His Dungeon is caught up for the moment.  Posts for the continuing story will be a little slower from now on.

#6 2021-08-23 01:24:40

Fred73
Tipsy

I don’t usually leave reviews of what I read, but your story of A Boy and His Dungeon is absolutely amazing. The storyline is addictive and kept my attention throughout. I am looking forward to seeing more of this story.
Thank you for your creative writing

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#7 2021-08-23 18:13:24

Pleidius
Inebriated

Thank you for your feedback

#8 2021-09-06 09:01:56

sermona
Inebriated

Very nice story.
The new 'Stargate' thing is a nice turn of events. For applications the power consumption is relevant. if you need a powerplant for more longer distance applications get impractical very fast. from the descriptions i assume that one solid matter, not light or radio can be transported. if thats the case an application for very fast (becaus short) internet connectins will be possible but complicated (put a cable through the disk and replace it in case of powershortage)

With the advanced EEG i dont remeber how they planned to perevent the missuse with copycat products. also when comes the clandestine service knocking?

#9 2021-09-06 15:30:09

Pleidius
Inebriated

some good points, thank you

I hadn't considered the data transmission idea
the limitations are is size and range
I spend a lot of time playing with the way this makes a hash of conventional physics

#10 2021-09-06 16:46:20

sermona
Inebriated

the main problem with conventional physics is the concept of "Relativity of simultaneity" wich would be broken.
einsteins special relativity causes enough head ache without suddenly enforced simultaneity.
if you look at quantum physics with such a form of instant connection my brain starts to form gordian knots

maybe Hawking radiation can be proofed by measurment

with a size of max 15 mm is a little bit small for a classic pneumatic tube, maybe for thumbdrives.

what happens if one end is 100m under water? could it be used as generator? depends on powerconsumption...  if not... at least you have a inefficient but convinient method for plumbing (espally in old massive houses) in germany its a pain to modernise old buildings wich have a Cultural heritage management assignment.

if some sort of wireless transmission is possible you could build a very secure wifi mesh. two field generators, a gps beacon to broadcast the location for initial connection (another unit can build the disc in the new unit) and a powersupply would be "all you need"
if not use ultrsonic waves in mercurium as workaround. bandwith would suffer but a goverment agency with security as a must have would buy it regardless.

could you use this tech as tunneldrill? move the one disk in the bedrock move the disc sideways (more than the diameter) so you cut the the rod, move the disc back out of the bedrock and produce another rod. repeat. or just move the generator simular to a butterknive when you scrape of the surface

if you are evil you have a really nasty assasination tool.

what happens if the disk of two generators touch each other?

Last edited by sermona (2021-09-06 16:58:37)

#11 2021-09-09 16:24:43

Pleidius
Inebriated

Thank you for your thoughts. 
They gave me an idea for a sudden and unsatisfying ending to the story. 
Obviously, I don't want to do that, but I'm at a loss for where to go with my tale. 
Another option is to pull back chapter 27 and rewrite. 
I'm getting the feeling that I should wrap it up instead of introducing a new device.

Suggestions?

#12 2021-09-11 09:34:34

sermona
Inebriated

Hey, I reread the chapter without ignoring the figures (otherwise it reading scifi for fun would be work and not recreation). Rotating magnetic fields are quite coming. The frequency of 2500 Hz is very slow. A usual application for rotating fields is circular polarized light in 3d cinema. Three you have frequencies way over 10^14 Hz.
So without a obscure material component such an effect would be common knowledge.

Most stories come up with some sort of hinderance, antagonist, problems with groupdynamics, some form of (unfair) reaction of the world.
The headset has many open ends.
a short brainstorm for shit that could be thrown at them:
The medical scanner is not approved (FDA,ema,...) and it pisses in the yard of a billion $ industry. with so much money at risc corporate espionage, sabotage, reverse engineering, lawsuits for time, patent fights are common.
if someone hacks the headsets you have a daterape drug, espionage tool, vr prison ...
If some black government agencies hear about the possibilities they can try to assimilate the hole thing. All personal under house arrest and life in constant danger.

A problem of the game application  you wrote about is computing power in real-time environment. someone could try to shift some of the computing into the brain. (This thought causes goosebumps).

is it possible to remote control robots with the headset? Hello darpa ... if you are lucky. Otherwise there is an offer ... you can't reject.

Its a very powerful tech, with tons of malicious uses, a protoganist with a concius,  where are the ethical debates, the conflict between things you have to do and your honor which wouldn't allow it.

#13 2021-09-12 02:59:42

Zmaybe
Inebriated

Thank you so much.  I have read so many stories on this site that left me hanging.  You leave it open for further writings, but gave an end to the current offering.  Too many authors on this site write awsome stories, get the reader deeply invovled, then just quit writing before any logical ending.

#14 2021-09-12 04:53:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Zmaybe wrote:

Too many authors on this site write awsome stories, get the reader deeply invovled, then just quit writing before any logical ending.

And how much encouragement did you give those authors to continue?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#15 2021-09-12 19:17:51

sermona
Inebriated

Thanks for the Story. Unsatisfying nails it. Reading somthing like A boy and his pocket dimension would make my day 3dwink

#16 2021-09-15 15:46:55

bleme
Inebriated

I love the ending on this story! It's pretty hard to surprise me any more but the abrupt ending made me laugh.

#17 2021-09-15 16:08:21

Pleidius
Inebriated

Truth be told, I was lost and didn't know where to go with it.
Rather than leave it hanging, I contrived and ending that left the idea of returning open.
I don't know if I'll ever come back to it, but that door isn't locked.

#18 2021-09-15 16:10:31

Pleidius
Inebriated

sermona wrote:

Thanks for the Story. Unsatisfying nails it. Reading somthing like A boy and his pocket dimension would make my day 3dwink

Hmmm, 'Tom Swift and his Private Universe'

#19 2022-08-10 12:18:26

Mikenc67
Inebriated

YOU READ TOM SWIFT!? I had a bunch of those books when I was a kid (67 now). I've read some of your stories already and I'm about to start A BOY AND HIS DUNGEON.

Board footer