The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-03 06:02:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Christmas playlist

I didn't feel like I was annoying enough people on my Facebook page with this, so I figured I'd post it here.

3dtongue

Seriously, this is a playlist I've been putting together over the last two holiday seasons of "my kind" of Christmas music.  Although there is even one song on here by Bing Crosby, most of what's here is not what you'd consider traditional Christmas music.  A little offbeat, sometimes funny, often irreverent, something to put you in the mood while giving you a smile.

Eric's Christmas Playlist

Just some of the included bands:  Home Free, Voiceplay, Straight No Chaser, Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, The Christmas Jug Band, Weird Al, and various others.

This playlist will grow as I find new songs to add to it.  If you have suggestions, feel free to offer them.

Eric Storm

PS:  If the bands are not familiar to you... give 'em a listen, anyway!  That's the only way you discover new music.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2021-12-03 23:34:41

peace2300
Inebriated

Re: Christmas playlist

That's not a bad list. The Weird Al pick is one of my favorites. The Night Santa Went Crazy is a close second for him.

#3 2021-12-04 03:22:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

peace2300 wrote:

That's not a bad list. The Weird Al pick is one of my favorites. The Night Santa Went Crazy is a close second for him.

I like that one, but for the music video, he butchered the ending to tone it down and make it "kid-friendly".  (In other words, Santa doesn't get his brains blown out.)  I don't like the alternate ending, which is why it's not on the list.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2021-12-05 09:16:51

peace2300
Inebriated

Agreed!

#5 2021-12-06 00:10:27

Hakhazar
Inebriated

TSO is almost the only Christmas music I like (in all fairness, I'm not and never have been Christian, so....).

#6 2021-12-06 02:18:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As Christmas is currently observed in the US, the holiday has almost nothing to do with Christianity.  It is simply a time of year we choose to try to be nice to each other, instead of being the assholes we seem to be most of the time.

And most of my list could hardly be called Christian.  Yes, there are a few, like "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen", and such, but Santa gets mentioned far more often in my list than Jesus.

Also, if you like TSO, I would highly recommend checking out Mannheim Steamroller.  Same basic concept, but with a different twist.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#7 2021-12-07 04:24:33

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christmas This is my response to saying Christmas is the birth of Christ. 🎅

#8 2021-12-07 07:30:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not sure I see the point you're trying to make.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#9 2021-12-07 07:33:44

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

That the holiday was a case of religious cultural appropriation by Christianity... mostly because I enjoy being able to say my religion is older than theirs.

Last edited by Josh.Bond (2021-12-07 07:35:50)

#10 2021-12-07 11:24:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Ah.  In other words, you like to make yourself as guilty as they are of disparaging other religions.

Gotcha.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#11 2021-12-08 03:33:44

Hakhazar
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

As Christmas is currently observed in the US, the holiday has almost nothing to do with Christianity.  It is simply a time of year we choose to try to be nice to each other, instead of being the assholes we seem to be most of the time.

And most of my list could hardly be called Christian.  Yes, there are a few, like "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen", and such, but Santa gets mentioned far more often in my list than Jesus.

Also, if you like TSO, I would highly recommend checking out Mannheim Steamroller.  Same basic concept, but with a different twist.

Eric Storm

I knew about Mannheim Steamroller before I was introduced to TSO. I'm more a hard metal fan, so I prefer TSO - we've seen their shows four or five times. We'd go again this year, but we're not heading into the crowds just yet.

#12 2021-12-08 05:08:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Keeshaba always wanted to go to one of TSO's shows, but she was epileptic, so... no.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2021-12-09 18:45:45

Hakhazar
Inebriated

I found a link to a song I also like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7GUy9XS7c

#14 2021-12-09 22:09:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks for the recommendation, even though I am very much not into...uh... whichever kind of rock music that is.  (I was just gonna call it heavy metal, but I don't know if that's accurate, so... *shrugs*)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#15 2021-12-12 20:53:53

Hakhazar
Inebriated

I just call it funny.

Board footer