The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-09 03:58:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Change to donation celebration

Okay, so I realize this is coming at you from out of the blue, but going forward, there will be a change to the way I handle my "donation goal reached" celebration.

Some events that I've been made aware of through YouTube, and some lawyer-types I've watched discussing the situation, have made it clear that the way I am currently handling it is actually illegal.  Now, I don't seriously think anyone's going to "come for me" over it, but I'd just as soon not give anyone reason to look negatively in my direction.

That being said, I still want to say an extra thank you to my donors when we meet the donation goal.

As such, what I am going to do is revert to the old system.  That system worked like this:  Every donor for the given month will receive extra access time equal to one month for every $6 of their donation(s) that month.  Thus, if someone donated $20, they would receive 3 extra months of special access time.

I hope that this change doesn't bother anyone... I can't really see why it would.  If you have any questions or comments, put them below.  Just remember who you're commenting to... misch_smiley

Eric Storm

PS:  For those who insist on knowing what the issue raised is:  The method I'm currently employing for the donation celebration qualifies as a lottery, and private lotteries are illegal.  Only states can run a lottery.  In order for something to qualify as a lottery, the following three criteria have to be met:

1. A prize (the extra six months of special access time)
2. A consideration (that is, a payment, or services rendered.  In my case, it's the donation made, since only donors are eligible)
3. An element of chance (the winner was chosen by the computer, randomly.)

As I said, I have no illusions that they were going to "come for me".  But as this is one I can easily change to avoid breaking the law, I'm going to do that.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2022-03-09 18:02:25

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Re: Change to donation celebration

I actually dislike the amount of time we receive. It ultimately lessens the importance or benefit of getting the bonus time. I feel it doesn’t encourage people to have a reason to donate if they get more of it for the same amount of donation. While I know you don’t ultimately depend on the donations for your work, I just feel it would add more value to the time we get as part of the donation.

Edit: Looking back I didn’t give a suggestion or anything. I think adding a month or maybe 2 per donation rather than a given monetary amount would be better. So for $20 you get 1-2 extra months rather than the 3.(I think 1 is better but that’s just me.)

Last edited by Elessar (2022-03-09 18:14:04)

#3 2022-03-09 19:29:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Your logic is astoundingly.... nonexistent.

How does getting MORE of something for a given amount... REDUCE people's likelihood of making the donation?  That makes exactly zero sense.

Further, the whole reason I implemented a method by which the amount of extra time is tied to your donation amount is because it made no sense to reward a donor who gave $25, the same as a donor who gave $6.

Ultimately, I think we have different purposes.  You seem to be interested in pushing people to make more donations.  I'm just trying to say thank you to those who did. 

I don't want people making donations because they feel like they have to, I want them to do it because they want to support me in my writing.  And when they do, I want to show that I'm grateful.  This is the only way I have to do that.

However, if it makes you feel better, I'll reduce your access time to one month for every $3 of your donation... misch_smiley

Eric Storm

PS:  Okay, let's be clear:  There is one group of people whose donations will be reduced by my policy.  Those are the people who donate only to get the special access.  These are people who make donations only when their access time runs out.  So, yes, those folks will end up donating less often.  That's fine.  If all they want (or can afford) to give is the bare minimum, that still helps me out.  But the truth is that most of my regular donations are made by people who do not wait for this to happen.  In fact, to them, this extra time is completely worthless, because they never run out of access time, anyway.  I'd say thank you to them in a different way, if I had one, but I don't.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2022-03-09 19:41:20

advancewar
Wasted

Lol bad Eric. Running numbers games. Only the real crooks get to run those "cough govt cough" also perfectly happy with what ever you decide on for "extra time"  I can't donate often but I do appreciate extra 3dsmile

life=books

#5 2022-03-09 22:17:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I know you're joking, but when I figured out that what I was doing was actually illegal, I was like, Holy shit.

Of course, the longer I think about it, the longer I wonder if it actually qualifies, because then I think about when companies hold giveaways for their employees, which seems to include all three elements (the "consideration" being the fact that they work there...)  I'm wondering if the fact that the consideration given was not for the chance at extra time, but for another purpose, changes things.  But the scenario I just laid out is suspiciously close to the thing on YT that got this whole thing started, so... I just don't know.  I'm not a lawyer.

In any case, I'm not about to take the chance, so the old system it is.  I don't like looking through bars.  (Unless they're gold, and someone has given me permission to take a few...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2022-03-10 03:49:15

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I think you are right in this. I am probably looking at it more from a business view and how to encourage more people to donate but I understand that it doesn’t work that way. I apologize for any insults.

Eric Storm wrote:

Ultimately, I think we have different purposes.  You seem to be interested in pushing people to make more donations.  I'm just trying to say thank you to those who did.

Board footer