The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-21 05:21:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

New Forum Feature

Okay, so this issue has bugged me long enough.  My fix is not great, but it will hopefully help some people.

The issue is, due especially to PRM, discussions often happen in the forum that talk about things that many people haven't been able to read yet.  That is, the forum is full of spoilers.

To try to help with this issue, I have created a custom BBCode for the forum, called "spoiler".  The code here:

Code:

[spoiler]I am text that is initially hidden, so you won't be able to read me without 
making an intentional choice.[/spoiler]

Produces this effect:

Spoilers! (Click here to view...)I am text that is initially hidden, so you won't be able to read me without making an intentional choice.

This is made simple by a new element in HTML5 called "details".  The technical...er... details... 3dangel ... aren't important, just realize that this would have been a lot trickier to do just a couple years ago.

Do try to make use of this if you want to discuss story sections that are still in PRM.  The BBCode help page has been updated to include how to use this code.  (The BBCode help page can be accessed by clicking the BBCode link right below the box used to write your posts.)

PLEASE NOTE:  This custom BBCode is case-sensitive.  It must be typed in all-lowercase, or it will not work.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2022-10-22 08:24:20

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Re: New Forum Feature

And here I thought you were talking about big black … chickens…

On the other hand, I like this idea and have wondered why it wasn’t a thing. I figured you had reasons though.

#3 2022-10-22 10:08:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The site was designed in late 2006.  Adding in new features is not usually very easy.  Without the details element, this would have been nearly impossible to incorporate.

That's why I'm supposed to be building a new version of the site.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2022-11-25 22:50:32

Degener8
Tipsy

After reading that the IRC chat is pretty much defunct I couldn't help but wonder if you had considered setting up a discord channel for the Pub membership, if of course there is enough interest.

#5 2022-11-26 08:06:15

Elessar
Completely Blotto

This was a tried effort, actually was helpful to a few of us I felt cause we didn’t spam with stupid conversation or questions that were… well stupid. But unfortunately it was like 8 people? Which only like 3 or 4 were active.

Degener8 wrote:

After reading that the IRC chat is pretty much defunct I couldn't help but wonder if you had considered setting up a discord channel for the Pub membership, if of course there is enough interest.

#6 2022-11-26 17:32:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not sure those 3 or 4 could be considered "active", either.  There were entire days in that room where nothing was said.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer