The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-12 04:59:23

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Scary and/or creepy alien menaces

I saw a discussion of this on the Baen Bar (Ringo's Tavern to be specific). It's an interesting question. What do you think is the scariest and/or creepiest alien menace that you have ever read about? It must be a sentient race from a science fiction universe.

Ace

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#2 2008-12-12 05:18:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Scary and/or creepy alien menaces

There was this race called.... humans.  Sca-ary!  3dsmile

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2008-12-12 05:25:14

WarLord
Wasted
Website

AceMcCloud wrote:

I saw a discussion of this on the Baen Bar (Ringo's Tavern to be specific). It's an interesting question. What do you think is the scariest and/or creepiest alien menace that you have ever read about? It must be a sentient race from a science fiction universe.

Ace

Greetings

I vote for the "Posleen" of John Ringo's "Hymn before Battle" and "Gust Front"  - Some kind of wierd horse with an alligator mouth intent on feeding on humans and some kind of unstoppable in battle...

Good stories too

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#4 2008-12-12 21:01:00

Khellendros
Inebriated

Daleks

Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate.

You get the picture...

#5 2008-12-13 00:08:09

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Khellendros wrote:

Daleks

Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate.

You get the picture...

I used to think they were hillarious.  All it would take is a flight of stairs to stump them.  I think the new Dr. Who series seriously revamped them.

The aliens that freaks me out the most is the Aliens.  There's nothing scarier than being hunted in the dark.  The lucky ones are killed quickly, others get captured, implanted and their chest blown out.

#6 2008-12-13 06:39:01

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

i think any alien that considers humans yummy esp when we're still moving
i forget the storey but there is one ive read about a earth ship from the future crashing in the past the insect race in that one was particularly unsettling

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#7 2008-12-13 19:42:53

Imagineer
Wasted

I don't know about scariest, but I recently watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" -- the 1980 remake. There's something very unsettling about humans-that-aren't. The final shot of the movie really drives the point home.

#8 2008-12-14 01:09:18

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Eric Storm wrote:

There was this race called.... humans.  Sca-ary!  3dsmile

Eric

Greetings

If we're including peeps then its easy:

Hannibal Lector

Hands down scariest

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#9 2008-12-14 05:55:18

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Imagineer wrote:

I don't know about scariest, but I recently watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" -- the 1980 remake. There's something very unsettling about humans-that-aren't. The final shot of the movie really drives the point home.

one of the few films that i prefer the original
that
king kong (loved Peter Jackson's version but still)
night of the living dead
miracle on 34th street
and its a wonderful life

i get the feeling i'll feel the same about day the earth stood still 2

OH sil/eve from Species a sexy female alien who would lit fuck the world to death

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#10 2008-12-14 09:01:53

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Neitherspace wrote:

i forget the storey but there is one ive read about a earth ship from the future crashing in the past the insect race in that one was particularly unsettling

That's Monbade's "The Destroyers" series, currently writting book 3.

It starts out fine, but gets too convoluted in my opinion.

#11 2008-12-14 16:58:30

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

AceMcCloud wrote:

Ace

Personally I find the non-sentient alien more scary.  If you just have a non-thinking killing machine going after you especially in swarms there is absolutely no reasoning with them (even if the "reasoning" is big gun go boom you go splat!).  You either run as fast as you can and hope to loose them or you are dead.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#12 2008-12-15 21:32:51

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Veritas wrote:

Neitherspace wrote:

That's Monbade's "The Destroyers" series, currently writting book 3.

It starts out fine, but gets too convoluted in my opinion.

yea i agree major charicters dying is cool but not when you end up w 20 of em

Board footer