Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-16 20:21:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Recommendation System Alteration

Hi-ho, Eric the Storm here...  3dbig_smile

Just wanted to point out that, in an effort to make the system easier to use, I have revamped the Recommendation System on the site.  Before, when you would click the button to save your opinion of a story or image, it would open a new page, which you would then have to close to continue reading / viewing.

With the reworked system, it does not do this.  It sends information to the database in the background, and merely lets you know that it has done it.  What will happen is that the recommendation form will be temporarily replaced with a message letting you know the change was saved.  (Or alternatively, if you goofed, it will tell you that, too.)

This system now requires Javascript to operate.  If you do not have JS enabled in your browser, you will not be able to make recommendations at all (but the form will still appear).  Sorry, but this change required a one-or-the-other approach.  I will, at some point in the future, add a "No JS" option to your user settings, so that utilities that require JS won't appear at all for those who don't use Javascript.

Assuming no major hiccups, and no uprising from the peoples, I will probably be applying this same style of redesign to the bookmark / favorites systems, as well.

If you do have difficulties with the system, please let me know.  I have tested it, but that's just one person.

Thanks for your time.
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2009-03-16 21:29:11

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Re: Recommendation System Alteration

Eric the Strom?

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#3 2009-03-16 21:37:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

It goes with the Hi-ho.  Leave me alone.  3dtongue

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2009-03-16 22:39:10

Giskard
Inebriated

As in "Hi - Ho  Kermit the frog here" What, can't you remember your Sesame Street jargon????

(Damn - I am getting old, I can remember watching this with my kids AND grandkids)

Eric - No more PBS until after 4 PM. Now eat your cookies before the cookie monster gets here

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
  sure about the former."
  - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 2009-03-16 23:50:49

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Kermit the Frog wasn't on Sesame Street, he was on The Muppet Show!

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#6 2009-03-17 00:11:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um.... BR....

Kermit started on Sesame Street.  He was the reporter for Sesame Street News.  "Hi-ho, Kermit the Frog here at the site of the... <insert really silly event here>."  I think he may have been the only Sesame St. muppet to migrate to the Muppet Show... but then, he was Jim Henson's flagship character, so...

Eric, who remembers OLD Sesame Street fondly, and thinks NEW Sesame Street blows chunks...

----
Facebook page

#7 2009-03-17 00:12:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, and kudos to Giskard for getting the reference.  3dsmile

Eric

----
Facebook page

Board footer