The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2022-11-08 19:05:40

Mad_Wolf
Tipsy

Re: Caught in the Web

The fan critic, who often means well but lacks the depth of literary understanding and the critical faculty to produce anything much beyond what is more or less a book review - usually a glowing one.

The ignorant critic, who also often has the best of intentions, but does not understand  fiction well enough to evaluate it correctly.

The lazy critic, who knows perfectly well that he is doing second-rate work, but also know that his peers will be unable to judge its quality, and thus has found an easy way to publish instead of perish.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#27 2022-11-08 19:09:08

Mad_Wolf
Tipsy

A critic is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased, he hates all creative people equally.

Robert A. Heinlein

The fan critic, who often means well but lacks the depth of literary understanding and the critical faculty to produce anything much beyond what is more or less a book review - usually a glowing one.

The ignorant critic, who also often has the best of intentions, but does not understand  fiction well enough to evaluate it correctly.

The lazy critic, who knows perfectly well that he is doing second-rate work, but also know that his peers will be unable to judge its quality, and thus has found an easy way to publish instead of perish.

#28 2022-11-08 19:33:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um... okay? 

Not really sure how these comments are relevant, really...

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2022-11-09 03:39:07

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric, I suspect you have a pot stirrer--trying to get a rise out of you. Best answer? Put your writing up if you think you're an expert

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#30 2022-11-09 09:28:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That doesn't really make much sense, Chief.  After all, his post is talking about critics, not writers.  I very rarely offer a critique of anyone's writing, so it is unlikely he's trying to get a rise out of ME.

Now, he might be trying to get a rise out of you guys...  Or, he might simply be responding to the earlier, VERY dead, conversation that happened on this thread.  I don't know, that's why I reacted like I did.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer