The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-21 21:46:06

Limnophile
Inebriated

Advice for Authors - Huge-Word-Itis

Less than one in a thousand people are highly educated sociolinguistic scholars with lexicography fetishes. If you are one, you're right to be proud.

But if you want to entertain the rest of us, please avoid using more than a dozen 15-letter words per sentence. With a mouse in one hand and a dictionary in the other, it's terribly difficult to masturbate.

#2 2023-01-22 10:30:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Advice for Authors - Huge-Word-Itis

Perhaps you should have paid attention in school, then.

3dtongue

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2023-01-22 11:26:59

CreepyUnclePete
Inebriated

... but you can't deny it's the primary reason most people visit the site ...

#4 2023-01-22 18:51:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not too certain of that, truthfully.  I get an awful lot of people who tell me they don't even read the sex scenes in my stories.  They skip over them to get back to the actual story.  *shrugs*

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2023-11-27 19:56:33

Dadrepus
Wasted

Just started to read this section. Kinda caught up on most of the authors here. I have noticed I have also stared to gloss over repetitive sex scenes as well. While I do enjoy a good sex scene, I find the story development more and more appealing along with the character development and growth. An excellent example being your Woodward Academy Series. It would have been almost as good without the sex as it was a compelling story line and I loved the length. I think the best stories are ones that tell a story where the sex is a natural extension to enhance the basic plot.

Eric, don't "shrug" take it a a compliment that your writing is so compelling that the reader doesn't necessaraly need the sex to feel entertained.

Last edited by Dadrepus (2023-11-27 19:57:40)

Always willing to help. May not be good at it ;-)

#6 2023-11-27 21:55:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Dadrepus wrote:

Eric, don't "shrug" take it a a compliment that your writing is so compelling that the reader doesn't necessaraly need the sex to feel entertained.

I understand your point, but the fact is, it is both compliment and insult at the same time.  There is a lot of energy that goes into the sex scenes, especially in trying to make them not repetitive.  To have all that effort just dismissed as not worth reading doesn't necessarily feel all that good.  Sure, it's nice that the "meat" of the story is compelling and enjoyable, but the side dishes require work, too.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer